“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Jefferson City Missouri
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel is starting to show its age but it is a good value for the money. I cannot believe that mid-value hotels invariably offer a mini-fridge and a microwave while high-end hotels offer only $5 - $6 dollar botttles of Fiji water and $20/night parking. What is up with that?? This Holiday Inn offered a bigger room, free parking, room service, and essentially the same amenities as a Hyatt or Hilton. The "big" hotel chains need to step up to the plate for business travelers..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
amandacturner, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I am so glad you felt your stay was well worth your hard earned money. We try very hard to provide all the amenities that our guests need to make them feel at home. Thank you for your comments, and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you through the area.
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed recently to visit the Hoover Presidential Library and Birthplace. It was a short easy drive to that. (15 min) The room was a little worn but very clean and comfortable. It includes a fridge and microwave which was nice. The beds were very comfortable. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and welcoming. The location is great. There is a train track very close to the hotel but it didn't bother us. They had fresh baked cookies in the afternoon. And an appetizer, beer and wine event for guests on some days in the afternoon.The breakfast had many choices and was stocked and fresh. The food was not amazing but good. Being a Priority Club member we received a gift bag upon check in and that was a welcomed surprise. It included a bottle of water and a few snacks. There are a ton of dining options within a mile and many within walking distance such as Olive Garden and Outback. It is right behind the Coral Ridge Mall. The mall has an indoor skating rink, carousel, childrens museum, movie theater, food court and many stores such as Younkers, Dillards and Penneys.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our staff will be so pleased to read your comments. I have to agree with you that our guest rooms were getting a little worn, however, we are just completing a 1.2 million dollar renovation and the rooms are looking brand new these days. We have installed all new furnishings, capret, artwork, and we are about finished with painting the guestrooms. We look forward to you seeing all the progress we have made since your last stay. Thank you for taking the time to review our property and we hope to see you agin soon.
Washington, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We wanted to get away for a weekend of shopping so we decided to book the Holiday Inn Express in Coralville, Iowa, Exit 220 right off Interstate 80. The motel was located behind the Coral Ridge Mall. We arrived an hour ahead of check-in time, but they had a room ready and let us check-in early. This was a perfect location to enjoy the mall, which featured Dillards, Sears, Yonkers and Target as anchor stores. There is a full-sized merry-go-round for the kids inside the mall, along with a large ice skating rink and a movie theatre complex. Twenty miles west on I80 is the Tanger Outlet Mall.

The strong point of this motel was that the staff members were very accommodating. They certainly believe in serving their customers. I give them an A+. Besides allowing the early check-in time, we had a situation where one of the other guests was talking very loudly late into the night and he was keeping us awake. Finally at 2 a.m. I called the front desk and within a couple of minutes the the man was quiet. We really appreciated the clerk taking care of that situation as soon as she was notified there was a problem. We were also given a 15% discount when we checked out the next morning. Customer satisfaction is a high priority at this HIE.

The motel itself was your typical Holiday Inn Express. Our room was sparkling clean and was very spacious. We do prefer a little firmer mattress, but the one we had was okay. There was also a microwave and refrigerator in the room. The elevator was a little slow in accommodating the five floors. And only one of the ice machines was working. The hot breakfast included sausage, biscuits, waffles, muffins, juice, coffee, toast, cereal, two kinds of eggs plus many other items. Sunday morning a train came through at 7:15 a.m. For some this could be a problem, but for us we were up by that time so it didn't bother us in the least.

Restaurants that were close by included Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chili's and a steakhouse across the street. A Bennigan's and Panera were located in the mall.

Room Tip: The back side of the motel gets you away from the road traffic, but is more susceptible to the train...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
amandacturner, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. My staff was so pleased to hear they exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves on excellent service and it is very encouraging to recieve such a positive review.
I am glad that my overnight desk attendant was able to take care of your noisey neighbor. I hope he did not disturb your sleep too much. I can tell you that since your stay we have serviced all of our ice machines and they are now all in working order.
Thank you again, and we look forward to another opportunity to have you as our guest.
Denison, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed here for one night recently. It was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The only complaint I have is that the breakfast didn't start until 6:30 on Saturday mornings and 6 on weekdays. We had to leave early on a Saturday morning and did not get to enjoy a breakfast. Not sure why it starts a half hour later on a weekend. Also, the elevator was extremely slow. It also makes a very loud screeching noise that does not make a person feel very safe! The pool was nice though and it was nice there was a fridge and microwave in the room. Very nice location next to the mall and restaurants. Staff was friendly also.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I was so pleased to hear how satisfied you were with your recent stay. I would like to assure you that since your stay, we have had our elevator serviced and the "squeaking" issue has been resolved and we have assured that the elevator is in perfect working condition.
We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I usually stay here on my business trips to Iowa City. It is a little nicer than your standard Holiday Inn Express. Very clean and updated. The rooms are spacious- and beds are comfortable. They have nice guest reception Tues- Wed & Thursday 5-7pm with free wine, beer and snacks. Breakfast is your standard for HDI. Within walking distance to restaurants and shopping mall. Seems to be in a nicer area of town. Staff and service is good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our main goal in the hospitality industry is 100% guest satisfaction and it is wonderful to recieve such high praises from our guests. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and hope to have you as our guest again when your travels bring you to Iowa City/Coralville.
Assitant General Manager
Kingston, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed 1 night at this property while back in Iowa visiting family. I found the staff to be very helpful and polite. The fitness center is kind of cramped, but the 2 treadmills and 1 elliptical machine is relatively new. The hotel also offers complimentary guess passes to Core Fitness in North LIberty, which is open 24 hours. The free guess passes is a really nice perk. The hotel is next to Olive Garden, Pancheros and other dining opportunities on the Coralville strip. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
I would like to thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I was pleased to see that our hotel met your high standards and am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
I know many of our guests appreciate the complimentary passes to Core Fitness and I am glad you were able to take advantage of that. We are looking forward to having you as our guest again next time you are in the area.
Assitant General Manager
LOUISVILLE, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We recently stayed at this Holiday Inn for a long wedding weekend. It was a wonderful experience from the time we got there until we left. We had twelve rooms booked for friends and family and everyone was more than pleased with their stay here. Out of twelve rooms you would think someone would have had a problem checking in or a complaint about something but that wasn't the case at all. Everyone complimented us on our choice of hotel. There were a lot of sporting events etc going on that weekend so the hotel was full and still no problems.. If I had to think of something the elevator is a bit slow but it wasn't like you wait several minutes or anything so that wasn't a problem. We used a meeting room to have a small reception and they set it up for us beautifully for 40 people to have a sit down dinner. The front desk was so helpful that they can even accommodate out of the ordinary request. A few examples are: I needed a tap roller for lint on a pair of black shorts I brought and sure enough they borrowed one from housekeeping and got it right to me. My 7 yr old son wanted some milk and sure enough they happily got him some from the kitchen. The people were just amazingly friendly. Amanda is so kind and helpful that I was able to book the rooms and plan my reception from 7 hours away with no problems. Rooms are super clean. beds were VERY comfortable. Was able to hook my sons Wii up to the TV so he could play in the room (no charge for that).. Free internet.. Best and largest continental breakfast I have had anywhere. It even included several hot food choices like scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes etc. Plenty of seating in the breakfast area. Right across the street from several restaurants once of which was outback that took a last minute reservation for us for 26 people. Hotel is in front of Coralridge mall and children s museum. Lots to do in the area. NICE area.. Felt very safe and comfortable there. No worries about my teenage nieces walking to the ice cream place across the street. All the kids in our party loved the pool and this Momma liked the hot tub. It was just all very nice and clean. It was our first trip to Iowa and we plan to return and will be staying at this hotel every time.. I would give ten stars if I could.

Room Tip: I saw 12 rooms and they were all good.. I don't think you can go wrong here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We were thrilled to be a part of your exciting day here in Iowa City. I know my staff commented several times how much they enjoyed interacting with you and your wedding guests (sounded like you all had fun together).
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and are so happy everything was to your liking. Please let me know next time you plan a trip to Iowa City/Coralville as I know my staff and I would love to see you all again!
Assistant General Manger

Been to Holiday Inn Express Coralville? Share your experiences!