“Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Clive
Aurora, Colorado
“Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband had a business trip and I tagged along. The hotel was clean. The staff was helpful and friendly. The bathroom was roomy. The restaurant was only open for breakfast and dinner so I didn't try anything there. There is a marketplace in the hotel to purchase snacks and forgotten items. It was a bit pricey ($2.65 for a 20 oz soda) but very convenient. The fitness room offers treadmills, an eliptical, stationary bike, and free weights. Not all rooms have a mini fridge so ask if you want one.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are possibly quieter than outside rooms where you hear quite a bit of traffic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will see you on your next trip to the area.

Jeff

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Arlington, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I travel extensively and it has been a while since I have stayed in a Courtyard, but I was amazed at how much better other hotels in this category are. There is just no need to pay this much money and not even have a free breakfast buffet. For an additional $10 fee I got a rate that included a "business breakfast" which gave me the option of ordering some food, but it just isn't as convenient as a buffet where it is ready and there is variety without being limited to only ordering one or two items for your voucher.

The noise from the interstate is very loud. I had requested a quiet room so thankfully I was not on the interstate side; however, I had a connecting door in my room. I could actually hear the conversations from that room and the gentleman staying there woke me up hours before I needed to get up when he got up, loudly cleared his throat and then carried on a conversation that I could hear. That noise factor alone, and the fact that I was then tired for my meeting that morning, was enough to cause me to never choose a Courtyard again. There are just so many better options nearby in the same price range.

This appears to be an old hotel that has been remodeled. To their credit, they have done a good job with modernizing it and the room is comfortable if it just didn't have the noise factor. I could easily hear noise from the hallway as well as the room next door. I would highly recommend choosing a different hotel property.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for sharing your comments. I am sorry for the disruption to your sleep due to the noise from other guest. I can understand how frustrating this must have been as I know how important it is to get a good night’s rest. I will share your comments with our ownership group so that we can try to find a creative way to fix this problem or possibly address this during out next renovation. Once again, I am sorry for the noise issue and I hope that in the future you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Jeff V.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and daughter and I stayed one night at the Courtyard in Clive. It has been a while since I stayed at a Courtyard, and I should have have read the reviews here at TripAdvisor first. On the plus side, the room was comfortable enough and the staff was pleasant and helpful. On the other side, I was very surprised to find that this Courtyard, and I guess other Courtyards too, no longer offer a free breakfast. Rather, they have the "Bistro", which provides limited, 7-Eleven-style food for purchase. Even more surprising, it did not offer free coffee in the lobby! I noticed that another reviewer noted that this an important amenity to most travellers upon departure - I agree completely. The hotel's manager noted that each room has its own coffeemaker; I don't consider that as an option, since in-room coffeemakers often have questionable cleanliness.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay here at the hotel. We appreciate the feedback from our guests. I apologize that you do not like the addition of the Bistro to the Courtyard Brand. Courtyard’s have never offered a free breakfast and we feel that this concept is more attractive to our guest that the old Buffet. Our Bistro serves fresh sandwiches, continental items as well as cook to order items. We also have Starbucks available. Our coffee pots in our rooms are cleaned and inspected daily. I hope you consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future. On your next visit I would be more than happy to treat you to a complimentary breakfast in the Bistro, so that you can experience what we have to offer.
Jeff VanDerSluis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

On Sept 10, 2013 at 10:15 pm, I arrived at the Marriott Courtyard at 1520 NW 114th Street,
Clive, Iowa. My reservation had been confirmed on August 7, 2013, one month prior.
Upon attempting to check in I was informed that there was a computer glitch and the hotel had been over booked. I was told I had to go to a different hotel and was given a voucher and a map with no address (in fact, the second hotel is not even listed on the map). I was disappointed, but left with all my personal effects. While walking back to my car, in the dark, I noticed another person coming into the hotel with their suitcase. I decided to return to the lobby and realized this new guest was being allowed to check in. I asked the front desk staff (Glen) why I had been moved to another hotel but a guest arriving after me was allowed to check in. Glen again said there was a computer glitch, the computer system had overbooked the hotel, and he was sorry. I asked him to explain why I got selected to get bumped. He said it was just the system overbooking.

I asked to speak to the manager, and Glenn called Jeff Vandersluis on the phone. I asked Jeff to explain why I was being moved to another hotel at 10:30 at night and he replied that they had priority members that had bumped me. I asked for clarification and he explained that Hy-Vee had a large group in town and they had priority members, and I simply got bumped. Glen mentioned that my organization only had one reservation.

I now had two very different stories as to why, at 10:30 at night, I was being told I did not have a place to sleep despite having booked and confirmed the reservation over a month prior.

When I arrived at Country Suites, Jessica was working at the front desk, and she said the Courtyard Marriott had called them at noon that same day to book my room. I was further disappointed that no one made the effort to let me know of this overbooking (or non-priority situation, depending on who was telling the truth) for 10 hours.

The action demonstrated by Glen, Jeff Vandersluis, and the Court Marriott Clive do not in any way demonstrate a desire to put people first, show a pursuit of excellence, even closely resemble integrity, or value diversity. I would however, advise Jeff and Glen to embrace change by telling the truth and honoring commitments.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for contact Marriott’s Customer Care Office regarding your experience at the Des Moines Courtyard West/Clive. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and frustration that this has caused. Unfortunately things do happen on occasion and the hotel does get overbooked. This is not a normal practice for the hotel nor do we intentionally put ourselves in this position. The day prior to your arrival we did have a problem with our inventory management system which over Authorized the hotel and allowed additional rooms to be booked. This is what Glen was referring to when he referenced a computer glitch. Throughout the day we do have guest check out early or cancel their reservations. Our hope was that we would get a cancelation and we would be able to honor room commitments for all of the guest arriving that evening. Guest are allowed to cancel their reservation up to 6pm the day of arrival. Throughout the day we did not have any early departure or cancelations. As you mentioned in your email, we did contact the Comfort Suites to hold a room in case we did not get a cancelation. At that time no name was placed on that reservation. We wanted to ensure we had a room ready for a guest on a day that the entire area was sold out. Again, at that point we did not know who we would be sending and we were still counting on getting a cancelation prior to the 6pm cut off. That evening we still would have allowed a cancelation after that time.

We did not get any cancelations that evening and Glen prepared the paperwork in the event that he would have to move a guest. Even though guest have guaranteed reservations they do not always show up. We allowed guest to continue to check in throughout the night. When you arrived we only had 4 arrivals left. One on the guest was a with a group that was having a meeting at our facility. This guest was not with Hy-Vee nor did we have any groups in house that were with Hy-Vee. The other two were Marriott Platinum Elite Members. Though our agreement with the group we were unable to move any of their guests. We also have agreements with our Elite Members that we would not move there reservations either unless we had no other options. We were aware that the other guests would be showing up that evening and Glen had no other choice but to move your reservation. Glen did contact the Comfort Suites and placed your name on the reservation when he knew there we no other options. This does not mean that we value your business any less but we did not have rooms for all of our guests.

Your reservation did not have any of your contact information so that we could contact you prior to your arrival. The only information that we had was for Don Forman your booking coordinator. Given the Hour, we would not have been able to get a hold of Don to get your information so we had to wait for your arrival. When you arrived you were informed of our situation and you were given a voucher to take to the Comfort Suites which is 3 quarters of a mile away and is straight down the street. The Voucher was to take care of your night’s stay as well as a local or long distance phone call so that you could contact someone and let them know of your situation. We would have also taken care of any transportation need had you needed assistance.

When you had Glen call and wake me up, All you asked me was why you are watching other guests check in. I told you that the reason was that we had Elite Members and Members of a group that we were unable to move. I did not mention anything about a Hy-Vee group. At no point did I not tell the truth. You then stated that what Glen stated and asked if I wanted to change my story. I then said no, that is why your reservation is being moved because we are unable to move their reservations. I do not feel that Glen did not tell the truth either. He stated the reason as to why we were over booked. I do agree that when you asked him why you were selected, he should have told you the exact reason I gave you.

I am sorry that we had to move your reservation. This is not a situation that we like to be in and we do value the business from every guest. We have worked with your company for several years and to my knowledge have never had any issue. We do make mistakes some times and do our best to resolve them. When doing this we do keep the best interest of our guest in mind.

Once again, Please accept my apology and if there is anything else I can do for you please let me know.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We had a comfortable, stylish bedroom with a King bed, facing the gorgeous, inviting courtyard (see pics). This hotel has a beautiful, indoor swimming pool with large pic-windows; a nice fitness room, and a guest laundry room, which we put to good use. Free wifi
everywhere.

Its staff was friendly and helpful, who told us about a nice restaurant (Biaggi Italiant) in the neighborhood, which was indeed excellent.

Strangely, though, it did not offer free MORNING COFFEE in the lobby! It is an important amenity to most travellers upon departure! Nowadays, almost all hotels offer it.

• Stayed August 2013
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We have gone away from offering coffee in the lobby but we still do have free coffee available and always will in your guest room. I look forward to seeing you again on your nest trip to the area.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have stayed many times at this Courtyard, on our way to parts north to visit relatives. It is consistently clean, comfortable and friendly. The rooms are nice appointed, with plenty of conveniently placed outlets for charging electronics, and free Wi-Fi. The pool and patio area are nice and well-kept, with plenty of seating outside. The new lobby is beautiful and comfortable.

Since they have switched over to the "Bistro" for food service, however, the breakfast has been somewhat chaotic. It is not really clear where one is supposed to stand to order, or what one can have if breakfast is included in the room price. Having to stand at the counter to order makes for some confusion and is much slower than the old breakfast buffet. This is not a complaint about this specific hotel, as Marriott has apparently made this change in other Courtyards. I just don't think it was well thought out in terms of flow and organization. It is nice to have food service available, but as others have mentioned, we've checked in around holidays and found the Bistro closed in the past.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the first floor have access to the pool area directly.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am happy that you enjoy staying at our property and we are pleased to be your hotel of choice when traveling through the area. I will share your comments with the members of my team. I apologize for any frustration that our conversion to the Bistro may have caused. We really like the changes we have made and are always looking for better ways to serve our guest. I will take your comments and work with my staff to make this experience better for out guest. Once again, thanks for your sharing your comments and concerns and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Jeff V.
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

A nice place to stay.
They have a Bistro, but it was closed on Memorial Day. Guess it was because of the lack of guests.
Rooms were just fine, but the hotel is a little out of the way.
A long walk to the elevator.
Itty is a "Gotta Goo"kinda place.
IHG
Rube

• Stayed May 2013
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that the Bistro was closed the evening you stayed. Due to the low occupancy we allowed some additional staff members to take time off to enjoy the holiday. I hope you were not inconvenience by this. I hope on your next trip to the area, that you make the Courtyard West/Clive your hotel of choice.

Been to Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive? Share your experiences!