“Not quite as good as the original” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Urbandale, Iowa
“Not quite as good as the original”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We are moving to the area. I was excited to see an "OP" while driving around, as I lived in Cedar Falls for many years - the location of two original locations.

The food was good, but not up to the same standards as the others. I think my pizza was just overcooked. The atmosphere is a bit less inviting as well - a little too much Sports Bar only, where the Waterloo location has that plus the ability to sit outside of the loudness.

I'll still be back, but just a bit disappointed compared to expectations.

midwest
“Typical Sports Bar/Not Conducive to Large Groups”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Went here on a Sunday at 1:00 with 8 adults. Mostly high top tables with round stools/no backs. Some booths. Had one big booth in the corner we asked to sit at and the server said, No, it only held 6. Sure looked to everyone in my party like 8 could have easily sit there. It was empty the whole time we were there. All 8 of us sat around an oblong table maybe 5' long on backless tall stools. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. Saw a group of about 15 or 20 that had put about 5 round tables touching with stools all around it. Didn't look comfortable for them either. It's also a typical sports bar as in it's very loud and hard to hear anyone you are with. Not good for visiting that's for sure. Some of the food was good--pizza, breaded mushrooms, cheese sticks, french fries. Some wasn't--California Quesadilla with shrimp. Some was just like every other restaurant, nothing special--grilled chicken sandwich, chicken tenders. I probably won't go there again esp. with a larger group for sure. If it's just 2 of us, and can't get in anywhere else, I might. As I said, food was just every restaurant type food to me. Nothing to really pull me back for. And the seating options leave a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Illinois
“Awesome place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Great place! Great food! Great place to watch the Monday night football game with multiple tv's! Even with all the tv's and sport fan crowd - it was still an atmosphere that you could easily talk with the other people at the table. Loved it !

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Clive, Iowa
“Awesome pizze, nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The OP has great pizza. The restaurant is clean and atmosphere is inviting. You can go have a drink, eat with family, or hang out and watch a game. Overall great restaurant.

Visited October 2013
Coon Rapids, Iowa
“Not the same as I remember from college...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Last week my family of 5 stopped by the OP in Clive because of the good memories I had from dining at the OP in Waverly, IA while attending Wartburg. Unfortunately, the owner did not change much at all from the previous "Boston's Pizza", and the familiar restaurant ambiance I remembered/enjoyed from school does not exist. Instead, the OP in Clive is an average copy of the typical sports bars found in W. DSM including Champs, Granite City, Twin Peaks, Legends, etc...

The main restaurant floor is wide-open with wall to wall TVs, elevated seating, and "family friendly" booths stuffed in the back and perimeter. On Friday at 5pm, the crowd is large and the volume very loud, and the hostesses attire was mildly inappropriate for the average family.

All this being said, if the pizza would've been the same high quality recipe that i enjoyed in college I probably would've given the OP in Clive 4 stars. However, this was not the case, and the pizza here is far from exceptional, quite average actually, and not worth another trip.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Been to The Other Place? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Other Place, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.