“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 65 Restaurants in Clive
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: They're new - been open about 5 weeks. They had a Groupon issued last week. They're in the old Alohana location.
Waukee, Iowa, United States
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The food and service at Agave Grill are great! Not sure what some of the "no flavor" comments below are because this is my favorite Mexican place in the Metro. Their chicken quesadillias is the BEST one I've everhad, so delicious. The only down fall is no alcohol, not use to having m mexican without booze however I won't complain about less calories :)

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

West Des Moines, Iowa
“Outstanding !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I read the reviews of some others with a bad expirence, and could not believe it. I guess some people don't know what good food is. MX food is more then just spicy sauce over ground meat.

This place is a gem !!

Starting with the salsa, it was quite clear, this place made everything fresh. The salsa was full of flavor, like it was made recently.

My wife had the shrimp borrito and I have the Agave Carne Verde. Her dish was full of scrimp and full of flavor. Mine was excellent.

Yes the atmoshere is ok, and our server forgot to bring the sour cream we asked for, but with such good food, who cares.

In many MX places, your dinners sit under a heat lamp, before the server brings them to you. Next time feel the plate, if it is hot, it has been under the warming lamp.

Here, we were served as soon as our dinner were perpared, who could ask for anything more !!

So if you want the subtle fine flavors of outstanding MX food, this place is for you. Otherwise you would be much happier at Taco John !!

FYI: this place is BYOB ...

• Visited February 2013
Waukee, Iowa
“Yuck- Skip this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

After seeing the reviews online (more on Urbanspoon), we decided to give Agave Grill a try. Upon receiving our chips and salsa, we had a hunch the main course would not be great. We were right.. and the other reviewer is spot on with saying Taco John's has more flavor. My husband actually said that as we dug into our meals. I had the chicken/steak/shrimp fajita combo and my husband the green enchiladas. Both were flavorless. Even the rice and beans had no flavor. In addition, the enchilada sauce had no flavor and the fajitas seemed like a frozen pre-made mixture just heated up and served. The tables had original tabasco sauce but no actual normal mexican sauce so we were forced to pick through our meals a little bit before just paying and leaving. Even afterward, we sat and just felt gross and disappointed. I would love to give a rave review and help their business, but I feel that the other reviews online are completely misleading and I don't want others to suffer the same consequence of a disappointing, tasteless meal. I'd skip and go to another basic mexican restaurant. They are a dime a dozen anymore, which is what is the most surprising. How do basic things like fajitas and enchiladas arrive with just no taste?! Finally, we waited for-ever.. and then they bring out the meals one dish at a time too.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Waukee, Iowa
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Agave grill is the highest quality in casual Mexican food within the area. The Agave fajitas were absolutely wow just excellent all fresh and very good flavor, and the prices are surprisingly low as well. $10.00 for this big plate the service very friendly.
That's a great combination

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grimes
“More Mexican Flavor @ Taco John”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We noticed this as a new restaurant and decided to "give it a try" as my husband loves Mexican food and is always trying to replicate the true flavors of Mexico we went and should have listend to the Datebook Diner from the Des Moines Register - who basically mentioned, not worth the trip; which we 2nd that statement after dining over the recent week-end.

The food was very basic, tacos' enchilada's,chips/salsa - the chicken enchilda was very edible, the chicken was warm, but as prepared to ordered did not seem to be heated after prepared, the sauce was tasteless, appeared to be plain tomato sauce with no seasonings. The steak taco looked very good, lots of cilantro, however, the meat was tough and hard to chew. The ultimate fajitas looked awesome with grilled onions and green peppers, with some shrimp - however the looks was all this place had for their food, I think Taco John or Taco Bell has more flavor in their food. Even after a few hours wanting to forget the experience, that did not happen as my family did not feel well for the rest of the day - so will not return for another visit.

• Visited June 2012