“Great deal!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sterling Hotel and Suites

You added Sterling Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Sterling Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11428 Forest Ave, Clive, IA 50325 (Formerly Chase Suite Hotel Des Moines)   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Clive
WILLIAMSBURG
“Great deal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The room had a full kitchen, 2 beds, continental breakfast, and even warm cookies to go!
Beds were comfortable. Nice TV and even a living room area.
Just needed a bit more lighting and would be perfect!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Benjamin S, Front Office Manager at Sterling Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank You cycloneshan for taking the time to review the Sterling Hotel and Suites. We are please that enjoyed the 2 beds, breakfast and the cookies that are made fresh daily for when you arrive. We hope that the next time you are in town that you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Third time staying here & splurged for penthouse suite. Carpet needed replaced & a hole in the closet door upstairs. Fine no huge deal. Two biggest things are, first, this place will charge your card so the can replace the old linens you used & think they can get away with it. PLEASE carefully check your credit/bank card statements! I am disputing the charge. Second, if you are a woman who is verbally harassed by drunk men also staying on the premises the hotel does nothing. I should have contracted the police department & that's my mistake. This place attracts unsavory people; the Mgr admitted that when i spoke to him about my issues. He was also going to remove the extra charge which he hasn't done yet. Who stays there is none of my business, but it was off putting to see what appeared to be strippers/prostiutes coming & going from the building across from me. I gave this place a 2 because the other 2 times staying here were just fine. This stay deserves a -2. Stay at another extended stay/ hotel because this place & the people running it are shady. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice suite, roomy and very comfortable has all the amenities. It's like your own apartment. Third time there. Staff was nice only negative thing is housekeeping comes too early but apologizes and leaves. Definitely will stay again.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Benjamin S, Front Office Manager at Sterling Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you Crystalp08 for reviewing the Sterling Hotel and Suites. We are pleased that you liked our apartment style rooms. We hope to see you the next time that you are in the Des Moines area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

This was my third time staying at this hotel, the two previous times it was The Chase Hotel. We spent 7 days there, and the experience was horrific. The employees weren't professionally dressed: one tending to the breakfast area wore jogging pants and a white t-shirt! My children took baths Saturday the tub was NEVER cleaned. My sheets weren't changed, even after being stained by chocolate . We sat a plastic spoon on the floor to see if anyone would pick it up... they came in and serviced the room (partially) but left the spoon there. The most astonishing deed was I overheard two employees conversing and cursing in regards to us because we HAD to call for service after arriving in the evening and found that we were unable to draw the broken blinds! The new management takes no pride in their establishment or customer service. The room was beautiful just as before, but the experience was horrific.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Thank you M.B. for reviewing the Sterling Hotel and Suites. We are sorry that you had a bad experience on this stay. We have done some coaching with our staff to help this be avoided in the future. We hope that you and your children will stay with us again the next time you are in town.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015

This could be a long review - sorry if I'm not brief. Feel like a lot to cover. The reviews for this hotel can be all over the place and I think it comes down to - what do you expect for your money? This hotel, to me, is a gem. Is it the most ritzy and fancy place? No. So if you are expecting top of the line, over the top and perfect, this isn't the hotel for you. Let me stop you from getting it and having to write a bad review. But, if you are a common person, looking for clean, safe, nice and spacious, THIS IS YOUR HOTEL. We are 2 adults traveling with a teen girl. We were going to be spending 3 days and wanted to bring a dog. At this hotel, our daughter was able to stay upstairs in her own loft room with a flat screen tv and private bathroom. Downstairs, we had the master bedroom with private bath, closet, flat screen tv and doors to separate from the rest of the room. The living room had a sofa (with hide-a-bed), a comfy chair, fireplace and flat screen. There was a bar for eating at, full size range, fridge, etc. All the kitchen utensils we needed were provided. The room was very clean. Staying in a dog friendly building (they have those that re not pet friendly as well for those with allergies) I'm sure that things were frayed that were caused by dogs. So was the room in the best shape? No. But the things that were wrong totally do not bother me. The bathroom was missing a piece of trim (small) and there was a small crack on the sink that they had tried to repair. I noticed on the edges of the stairs the carpet was a bit frayed and where the living area and the bedroom area carpet met, the seam was not together but wasn't so ratty looking that it bothered me. I'm a realist. I just want clean and bug free. This provided that and I felt very comfortable. There were no odors in the room. The bed was absolutely one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on, and pillows were great. I had read reviews that if you are a light sleeper that being near I80 could be loud. We were right next to I80 (building 4) and if I listened I could hear traffic but it never interfered with my sleep or concentration. The only thing that was at all disappointing was the breakfast offerings - pretty minimal, even on weekends. However, there are several restaurants nearby. Wifi was compatible with what I needed as well. I got a great rate on a discount website for hotels and could not be happier with my stay overall. So if you aren't snobby, not expecting the Ritz, this is a great place. Front desk personnel was very friendly and helpful when I checked in as well.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Benjamin S, Front Office Manager at Sterling Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 3, 2015
Thank you Beatrice for taking the time to give us a full review of Sterling Hotel and Suites. We are very pleased that you liked the two floor penthouse suite while you and your family stayed with us. We hope that you and your family stay with us the next time that you are in Des Moines.
Clive, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2015

We were very impressed with the cleanliness, the spaciousness, and the amenities at this hotel. As stated the room was complete with fireplace(bring your own duraflame log), seating area, kitchen, etc. The beds were newer and comfortable. Parking was convenient and adequate. Breakfast is available. While we only visited for one night while work was done on our home, we wished we could have stayed longer. It was a good value as well.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you Affable1 for your review of Sterling Hotel and Suites. We are glad to hear that you liked the spaciousness of our hotel rooms with the fireplace. We hope that you recommend our hotel to friends and family.

Been to Sterling Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!