“Great Price and Clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sterling Hotel and Suites

Save Saved
You added Sterling Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Sterling Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11428 Forest Ave, Clive, IA 50325 (Formerly Chase Suite Hotel Des Moines)   |
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Marion, Iowa
“Great Price and Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed for 2 days April 2014. The place is older, so it doesn't look great on the outside .... but my room had been renovated, so it was clean and had modern appliances - yes it has a full kitchen. The bed was very comfortable, and there was a sofa bed for the kids if I would've had them along. It is close to the interstate, so there was a lot of road noise but that also means you can hop on and get anywhere in minutes. I didn't have the breakfast so I can't speak to that. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room opposite the interstate
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Krysia H, Director of Sales at Sterling Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear jerrygarcia4295,

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with the Sterling! Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I greatly appreciate the honest feedback in reference to the bathroom area of your suite. We are constantly working to fix any shortcomings and I will address your concerns with our maintenance department.

We hope to see you again very soon during your next trip to Des Moines!

khannam@sterlinghotelandsuites.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I just spent one night here as we came into town for a concert.

The hotel is definitely an old hotel. They have clearly put lots of money and effort into it recently to bring it up to par. Our room had a small kitchenette, couch, 42" flatscreen, nice bed, and bathroom. The bathroom was my only complaint of items that need work. Simple things like re-caulking the bathtub and repainting need to be done. Other than the bathroom, the room was very nice and up to date. The hotel is in a great location, had a breakfast, and a pool.

The staff was very friendly and helped us with some directions and recommendations.

We paid $79 in Des Moines area and that is not bad.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Krysia H, Director of Sales at Sterling Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Richard M,

Thank you the review, we are incredibly happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are always appreciative to learn what area of improvement we have and will continue to strive for total satisfaction.

We sincerely hope to see you again very soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

While the suites are spacious and remodeling is in progress, the rooms need to be deep cleaned, the towels need to be white (not dingy grey), and the breakfast needs some eggs, not just ALL carbs. Staff were friendly and helpful. Parking was free and open. Easy to return to freeway.

• Stayed March 2014
Krysia H, Director of Sales at Sterling Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
We are so sorry to hear your stay could have been better. We are continually working to improve our hotel and greatly appreciate the feedback. We have recently made management changes in our housekeeping department and are looking forward to great results.

I sincerely hope you will try us again during your next trip to Des Moines! If there is anything I can personally do to make up for these shortcomings please do not hesitate to reach out any anytime.

Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Request a room away from the interstate. Chase left this place in bad shape. June of last year the pool was leaking into rooms, and there were multiple problems to be faced. Renovations started once new ownership took over but I haven't seen any major changes since then.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the interstate, and you will want to stay away from the pool as well.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Krysia H, Director of Sales at Sterling Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your most recent stay! It is true we are currently going through renovations, and it is a timely process!

We certainly hope to see you again very soon - as we would love to show you the improvements that are being made daily. I would also love to make sure you enjoy a newly refreshed suite during your next trip.

Please feel free to contact myself directly so I can ensure you are thoroughly comfortable and enjoy your stay!

Krysia Hannam - Director of Sales
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were looking for a room for a special occasion, and we thought we found the perfect place! Suites with fireplaces, full size appliances, and fully equipped kitchen area. I have stayed here in the past for a quick overnight, and had no issues. We booked on the website for a three night stay, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights.
We arrived, and went to our suite. The only part that was right about the suite was the queen bed. I went back to the front desk, and inquired as to why our suite did not have a fireplace as the amenity list showed. The front desk clerk said he would see if there was a 'special request' made for the room, and I said that there was not; why should I have to make a special request for an amenity that showed as being included in the room? He informed me that they had no other rooms with fireplaces available. Because it was too late to cancel, we stayed and decided to try to make the best of it.
We had brought food to make for our special occasion dinner, and, to our surprise, the room contained one sauce pan (big enough for a can of soup), and one small frying pan, no coooking pots, and only one cooking utensil. So, our plans for eating in were shot, as we couldn't make the dinner that we had brought all the ingredients for.
So, we decided to order delivery, and as we were waiting, we looked around the room. Other than not having the fireplace that we were expecting, and the lack of cooking equipment, the room was actually in good shape. We were upset about the problem with the room, and decided that we would check out after one night and find a different place closer to our final destination instead. I got on the hotel website, and left a comment for the manager.
The next morning, I went to the front desk to check out, and the person working there said "oh, I read your comments this morning, and I emailed you back; did you see that?". I told her no, and she said that she would be willing to move us to a penthouse room for the remainder of our stay, which I turned down; if we had wanted to climb stairs to a penthouse, we would have booked a penthouse to begin with, and besides, we had already booked a different hotel. She then offered me a voucher for another stay, which I also turned down. They could have offered us all of the free things in the world, and it would not have made up for the mistake from the previous night; our special occasion was ruined, and nothing could have fixed that. By the way, that email NEVER showed up in my inbox, so I can't honestly say that it was ever truly sent.
My advice is to call the hotel to make a reservation, and confirm the amenities that are in the room; do NOT rely on the website for its accuracy!

Room Tip: Call to make the reservation. List of amenities on the website is not accurate.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have been frequenting this Hotel for quite some time. The price has always been reasonable, even through the transitions of new ownership. The staff is always respectful & willing to go out of their way to help with what they can. I do know that I've had issues with the "maid department" (in the past), but this last stay was fabulous! My room was cleaner than it ever had been before, so whatever they are doing, they're doing it right! I believe the new owners have taken on quite a task with the remodeling, but it is making a huge diference already! There is nothing like a smile that will greet you at the door after being road weary! Thank you Sterling Hotel!

Room Tip: Splurge on a Penthouse Suite, they are phenomenal!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chicago,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sterling for a quick stop in Des Moines for one night. I enjoyed the stay so much I have already booked my next stay at this property. The front desk was adequately staffed and there was no wait checking in. The staff was very helpful showing me to the suite and answering a few questions about the area. New carpet and furniture throughout my suite was a pleasant surprise. I highly recommend The Sterling Hotel & Suites.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sterling Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!