“Neutral/Average” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago
“Neutral/Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

I stayed here for one night as just a stopping point on the highway. As previously stated, the hotel is conveniently located right off of I-80 exit 124, about a 10-minute drive from downtown. There is a Wendy's and the El Rodeo restaurant that are a short walk across the parking lot from the hotel entrance. The area in West Des Moines was nicer than I expected, and there were plenty of restaurants and bars within a short drive. There is also a Hyvee grocery about 1/2 mile north of the motel and a gas station/convenience store across the street.

The front desk staff was nice at check-in and helpful in finding a place nearby for dinner (they have some menus available if you ask). They also have a good supply of snack items available for purchase in the lobby, which comes in handy since the rooms all have a fridge and microwave. They had paperback books available in the lobby, and you can take them with you if you don't finish them during your stay. Most of the titles seemed geared towards older children or teens, but it's a great idea.

The pool area looked nice, and many families seemed to be enjoying it, but I didn't use it.

I stayed in a standard room, and it was very average. Pretty much like every other room I've stayed at in this price range. It had a bed, bath, fridge, microwave and television. Not overly spacious, but not too cramped either. It was very clean, with the exception of some dust on the big wreaths above the bed. Decent water pressure in the shower.

My only big complaint with this hotel was that I could hear everything in the rooms next to me through the connecting doors, people talking, babies crying, the televisions, the hair dryers and the flushing toilets. Also, there was a large group that was staying in several rooms on my floor, and they were back and forth a lot between the rooms, so I heard doors slamming in the hallway all night and early the next morning. Being that I'm a light sleeper, I didn't rest very well.

The breakfast consisted mostly of the bread group, bagels, toast, oatmeal, waffles, and cereal. The only eggs they served were hard-boiled and there were no meats. After reading the previous reviews, I was a little disappointed, but motel breakfasts are rarely good anyway.

I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again, but I would if I had to. If it would have been a little quieter, I'd probably give it a higher recommendation but since my purpose in staying there was to get some sleep, I can't say that it was anything more than average. There are definately better places in downtown Des Moines that are in the same price range, so I'll be heading back to the "big city" next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites - Des Moines West, responded to this review, February 28, 2006
I welcome all comments and opinions from guests who stay at our award winning hotel. I would like to put into perspective some misconceptions regarding the rooms at the Country Inn & Suites-Clive/West Des Moines. All standard rooms with two queen beds are larger in size than the industry standards. They are 12' wide by 27' deep which is larger than the industry standard of 12 by 26. All rooms at the hotel are equiped with mini fridges and microwaves which makes these standard rooms more unique from other traditional hotel rooms. The hotel offers a full assortment of paperback books from our lending library. If there happens to be a limited selection available in the lobby, just ask the guest service representatives at the front desk for additional titles available. There is something for every age. The indoor pool is one of the largest in the West Des Moines area with plenty of room for everybody, even with a full house! We do pride ourselves with our 5 year running Gold Standard award from Carlson Hotels Worldwide. Our guest room cleanliness is very important to us and our guests. We routinely clean the wreaths above the beds and we simply overlook one every now and then. We will pay more attention this this area going forward. Unfortunately, one of our guests experienced some noise coming from other rooms nearby. This guest was staying during the Iowa boys state wrestling tournement being held in Des Moines. Over half of the hotel was occupied by teams and fans and there were some young people who were being inconsiderate of other guests. When a guest informs us of noise complaints, we respond promptly by trying to locate the source and taking appropriate steps to keep it from happening again. It is only when a guest lets us know about a problem such as this are we able to respond effectively and to the guests satisfaction. If we are not made aware of a problem it is difficult to fix it for the guest and make it right with them. I feel our breakfast is one of the better breakfasts offered in most hotels. Our electronic guest comment card surveys will back this statement up as well. Throughout the weekdays we offer various items such as breakfast burritos, scrambled eggs, hardboiled eggs that can be heated up, western omelets, bacon, sausage, ham patties and biscuits and gravy. 99% of our hotel guests indicate to us that they would stay with us again if they were back in our area. This speaks volumes of our staff's dedication to ensuring that everybody who stays with us is satisfied when they leave. I do not agree with anybody's assessment of our hotel as being average. Come stay with us and you will agree.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2005

We love most Country Inn & Suites hotels, but this one is by far one of the best we've ever stayed at! The rooms are very nice, clean and spacious. The pool area is quite large for a small hotel with a nice, big hot tub. I think, however, it's the breakfast that really surprises me each time I visit. They always have at least two hot items such as bacon and scrambled eggs, or sausage and egg patties, or something along those lines. They have coffee, juice, milk, bread, cereal, fruit, yogurt, English muffins, bagels, oatmeal, etc... This is more than your typical "continental" breakfast. Keep in mind the hotel class, it lives up to its rating or perhaps a half or whole star above. If you're looking for quiet, clean, comfortable rooms with a nice breakfast, be sure to stay here.

Tara

• Stayed July 2005
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2005

We stayed at this hotel during our stay to attend our son's baseball tournament. Traveling with children, the pool is always important to us. This hotel's pool was larger than the average hotel pool, very clean and had plenty of chairs and tables surrounding the pool.
The breakfast was good with variety to make everyone happy. The proximity to the new Jordan Creek Mall was good with many great restaurants nearby. We will stay at this hotel again. My only note of concern was that guests were in the breakfast dining area with bare feet. While not a huge deal, it is one that always bothers me at hotels. Bare feet are against health regulations in all restaurants and common breakfast areas in hotels, in my opinion, are just like restaurants. This is, of course, not a problem unique to this hotel at all. It seems to happen frequently. I have, however, noticed more hotels posting signs requiring shoes. Yea!

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Country Inn & Suites - Des Moines West? Share your experiences!