I stayed here for one night as just a stopping point on the highway. As previously stated, the hotel is conveniently located right off of I-80 exit 124, about a 10-minute drive from downtown. There is a Wendy's and the El Rodeo restaurant that are a short walk across the parking lot from the hotel entrance. The area in West Des Moines was nicer than I expected, and there were plenty of restaurants and bars within a short drive. There is also a Hyvee grocery about 1/2 mile north of the motel and a gas station/convenience store across the street.
The front desk staff was nice at check-in and helpful in finding a place nearby for dinner (they have some menus available if you ask). They also have a good supply of snack items available for purchase in the lobby, which comes in handy since the rooms all have a fridge and microwave. They had paperback books available in the lobby, and you can take them with you if you don't finish them during your stay. Most of the titles seemed geared towards older children or teens, but it's a great idea.
The pool area looked nice, and many families seemed to be enjoying it, but I didn't use it.
I stayed in a standard room, and it was very average. Pretty much like every other room I've stayed at in this price range. It had a bed, bath, fridge, microwave and television. Not overly spacious, but not too cramped either. It was very clean, with the exception of some dust on the big wreaths above the bed. Decent water pressure in the shower.
My only big complaint with this hotel was that I could hear everything in the rooms next to me through the connecting doors, people talking, babies crying, the televisions, the hair dryers and the flushing toilets. Also, there was a large group that was staying in several rooms on my floor, and they were back and forth a lot between the rooms, so I heard doors slamming in the hallway all night and early the next morning. Being that I'm a light sleeper, I didn't rest very well.
The breakfast consisted mostly of the bread group, bagels, toast, oatmeal, waffles, and cereal. The only eggs they served were hard-boiled and there were no meats. After reading the previous reviews, I was a little disappointed, but motel breakfasts are rarely good anyway.
I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again, but I would if I had to. If it would have been a little quieter, I'd probably give it a higher recommendation but since my purpose in staying there was to get some sleep, I can't say that it was anything more than average. There are definately better places in downtown Des Moines that are in the same price range, so I'll be heading back to the "big city" next time I'm in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly renovated hotel in western suburbs (Clive) of Des Moines. Beautifully landscaped property features one of the largest indoor swimming pools in the West Des Moines area. Extensive renovation in spring of 2012 includes many upgrades to guestrooms, breakfast room, public space and pool area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Carlson, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Country Inn & Suites - Des Moines West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn And Suites - Des Moines West
- Country Inn & Suites - Des Moines West Hotel Clive
- Country Inn Clive
- Clive Country Inn