“A little less that I expected” 2 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Des Moines-West-Clive
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1390 Northwest 118th Street, Clive, IA 50325   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Kansas City, Missouri
“A little less that I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

The room was fair sized and I have stayed in this area of town before. However, there are better values. The room was clean and the a/c was working. My complaints would be that the breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. The bed was like a taco, my wife and I kept rolling towards the center, and last you better like pets, There were dogs and cats all over the place. Now I have nothing against animals, but everyone who ownes a pet should not assume that I am a pet lover too!!!! There is a great hotel for pets - it's called a kennel!

Room Tip: Ask for one that pets have not been in, if they have one.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Rating is average in fairness to my rated above average hotels, where sometimes you do get what you pay for ( location as well ). Having said that, the staff was very, very pleasant. Reasonably priced and very convenient off Hwy 80. King bed was comfy, room clean.. Small bathroom and little sink area. I was traveling alone, so I did not mind. Breakfast was usual continental in a clean area. Waffles,some eggs, then all cereals, yogurt, fruit etc Definitely recommend for a quick stop if on a long drive..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

This was our first stay at a La Quinta. My husband and I needed a place to stay for one night with our 55lb dog while driving across the country. We were given a room on the 3rd floor, which surprised me, as I thought pet rooms were usually on the first floor, but it meant our dog got to have her first elevator ride. The room was spotless and you would never know it if a pet had previously stayed in the room. The room appeared updated, featuring a flat screen tv and electrical outlets everywhere (i.e. in the base of the lamps next to the bed) - perfect for charging our cell phones and laptops. The toilet and shower were behind a locked door; the sink and vanity were just outside the bathroom door. We ordered take out from nearby El Rodeo Mexican restaurant (within walking distance) for dinner. In the morning we used the fitness center before breakfast. It was small, but nice - featuring a treadmill, stationary bike, and stair climber, all newer models. The fitness center had a large flat screen tv, and a sink with washcloths/towels. The breakfast spread included 2 waffle makers, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fruit salad, bagels/toast/cereal, fruit juices, and coffee, and all the seating in the breakfast area appeared updated and with electrical outlets available at several of the tables.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ralston, Nebraska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We visited with kids and found this to be our better hotel bargain of all our Des Moines trips. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool to chase away the winter blues, we all loved the complimentary breakfast. Kids loved making their own fresh waffles and having choice of juices with their muffins. It was easy to access off the exit and had plenty of restaurants, shopping and entertainment within close drive. We unpacked our cooler in the fridge, started up a microwave popcorn and settled into the Showtime movie playing on the flatscreen. Quite a relaxing weekend without any hassles. We've paid more elsewhere and gotten less. It's our new favorite.

Room Tip: We had the room right next to the pool. Easy access for little ones wanting to go swimming but the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sartell, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel after the car broke down.

Though I didn't pay for a room (I was put up in the room by a special presidential family); I know that they paid less than 100 bucks with tax.

I work at another major franchise; (I'm a front desk clerk). I am amazed how hospitable the staff was. Though my only interaction was with the front desk staff; and I spent the night at the bar till it closed. (it was a rough day).

The rooms were somewhat modern; the bathrooms do need work; however considering the price of the room; I cannot complain. I know my hotel is way more expensive...but in a much stronger need of an update.

Rooms seemed clean; since I was stranded without a bag; I did not have my black-light. However I'm honestly not concerned; and I usually am.

They also do make their beds with a "Three-Sheet something or whatever..."

So basically that means that...there is the one sheet at the bottom; then one flat sheet, and then the duvet, and then another sheet so its always clean on top; and I suspect that it keeps the duvet a lot cleaner as well between washings.

I also didn't find much dust in the rooms; behind the bed was good; the light fixtures had a little bit. The only place I found was on the top of the door... but how many of you have EVER cleaned that at home?

All in all - if you want a 5-Star Full-service hotel this isn't your place. But if you do want to stay at a surprisingly clean hotel; without all the additional fees...at a good price; good location; and a friendly staff... Problem solved.

Room Tip: As a Front Desk Clerk myself - Be friendly to them - they know the hotel; you don't. Just ask th...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Although this hotel is conveniently located, it isn't all that great. The reviews of the hotel state that it has been updated, but our room lacked the finishing touches. The handle in the bathtub was pvc pipe and the new shower head stuck out of a hole in the wall about 4 inches. If you can get past that, the bed was super comfy...and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn Des Moines-West-Clive? Share your experiences!