“Best hidden gem in Des Moines area!!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11431 Forest Ave, Clive, IA 50325   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Nebraska
“Best hidden gem in Des Moines area!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We spent July 4th at Wildwood Lodge. The staff was so accomodating, giving us directions and maps of where we could see fireworks. The rooms were large, including the bathroom. They were also very clean. The beds and pillows were great and it was very quiet. My kids LOVED the pool. It was so nice and warm, not like most motels where it takes you 45 minutes to get used to the water. The complimentary breakfast was awesome, bagels, toasts, rolls, muffins, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt and 4 different kinds of juices and to top it all off you can make your own belgium waffles and they had 4 waffle makers so it went very quickly. When we go back to the Des Moines area, there will be no option...we will be staying at Wildwood Lodge. This is the best buy for the money and the staff were awesome. Thank you for a great weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
twbtcaptain, VP Hotel Operations at Wildwood Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
we appreciate the time that everyone has taken to write a review about our hotel. Your feedback (both positive and negative) is very valued, and definitely welcomed. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you, and look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
chicago, illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

the wildwood lodge like i said is not great but not bad either, its just good. first lets start with the room. it was quite large actually and i was able to sleep comfortably on the beds. the hotel was close to a chilis and other great restaurants that i would reccomend trying. there was good and bad at breakfast. the bad was it took time for them to get the batter to make the waffles but after it came out they were really good. overall i loved my stay at the wildwood and would enjoy coming back again

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I always stay here during my business travel. The first time I came to the area I didn't like the hotel I had originally made my reservation at. I took a chance and came here to see if they had rooms available. They did, but not at a room rate that my company expense policy would approve. They were nice enough to drop it to a nightly rate that would be approved to accomodate my stay.

I again decided to stay here during my 3 night business trip and got a great AAA rate.

What I like about this place...
1. Unique decor: its the outdoor cabin back country theme
2. Full hot breakfast, complimentary
3. Indoor fitness center/pool
4. Happy hour 5-10pm and free appetizers, and they give you a token for a free drink
5. There are bikes you can take out on the nearby bike trails
6. Right off highway 35, and close to restaurants
7. Free wireless internet

I haven't had a bad night, and plan to continue to come back here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Buena Vista, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

We were en route to Colorado from Wisconsin and reserved a room at the Wildwood Lodge based on reviews from Trip Advisor. Upon arriving around 11 PM we were greeted with "we were expecting you." After a prompt check in we were offered much appreciated beverages. Our room was very spacious (we were upgraded) - especially clean and comfortable. Our departure was early the next morning so we hustled down for breakfast. Most everything was ready at 6:30 AM except for the hot breakfast item of the day. That was a disappointment but not enough to prevent us from staying there again. The lodge atmosphere made us comfortable and even more anxious to get back to Colorado.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Ankeny,IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

We stayed only one night, over spring break, to give our children a night away from home someplace with a pool. We chose Wildwood because the lodge-y theme of the hotel would appeal to our children. The pool and hot tub were great and the kids had a lot of fun. The pool was a decent temperature the first night and then a little warmer even the next morning, which was nice. Our room was cozy and comfortable--we opted to not stay in a room near the pool to help lessen the possibility of loud noise. Had no problems with noise at all. The free breakfast the next morning was great, with many options. We made our own belgian waffles (only thing that would have made them better was whipped cream--I don't think I saw any, but they were still great), and also had cereal and very freshly made scrambled eggs. There were almost too many foods to choose from. We had a great night away!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Nice clean rooms, free breakfast was a plus!
Pool was warm, but pretty dirty. I am amazed that the city codes people allow a pool's water quality to be so low. Nothing new though, nearly every pool I have been to @ hotel's are this way..
Having a pool & hot tub @ home allows me to know what a clean & well taken care of pool is.

I would stay here again. Better than some other places we have stayed in the Des Moines Area.

• Liked — Free Breakfast
  • Disliked — Stinky dirty pool
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wildwoodlodge, General manager at Wildwood Lodge, responded to this review, October 10, 2008
Thank you for your positive review of the Wildwood Lodge. We have addressed the sand issue at the bottom of the pool. A broken lateral in our filter system had broken and caused the pool to look dirty on the bottom. I can assure you that our pool is tested every two hours even though the standard is every 4 hours. Its guests like you and your feedback which makes it easier for us to improve the high level of service and accommodations we strive for at the Wildwood Lodge.
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

I am a single mom in search of somewhere to stay, during our bad weather, which knocked out electric at my home for over 7 days, I tried to locate a hotel near my work and the cheapest i had been able to find was about 135 a night, i can not afford that. When i called to see if they had any room left he said yes, I asked how much and he gave me a price of about 110 which was better than anywhere else, but when we got there, my daughter was freezing and i think he realized becuase my daughter asked if she was going to be able to take a hot shower today since we have had no heat for 3 days by this time, I dont know if he felt bad but he gave a room by the pool for only 70 dollars a night. I was so greatfull i just wanted to be warm. There the best. While everyone else was taking advantage of all the electrical problems in Southern Iowa by raising their prices which i think is wrong especially in times of hard ship like the whole county having no electric.

Stayed January 2008

Been to Wildwood Lodge? Share your experiences!