“Better than I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Clear Lake
Minneapolis, MN
“Better than I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I had read the previous reviews, and thought this would be a bad hotel. We chose it due to proximity, and the fact that they had a pool (a must for our kids). The room was clean, and the bedding seemed new-ish. They had comforters instead of bedspreads, which I prefer. The beds themselves were terribly uncomfortable. Overall, I thought this was a decent hotel though. The staff was friendly, and our room was a nice size and clean. We have four kids (two of them infants that cry often at night when away from home), but the rooms were quiet. We apologized to the people in the room next to us for our loud children, but they never heard us, thankfully. The breakfast is the typical hotel b'fast: a couple cereal choices, toast, waffles, yogurt, etc. The only down sides were that I thought the pool was dirty (but not so dirty that we didn't swim), and the uncomfortable beds. We paid around $90 a night for two queen beds.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We opted to stay at an AmericInn because I am usually pretty content with the quality and cleanliness of this hotel chain. Not the case in Clear Lake, however. The room was run-down and had not been cleaned well. The bathroom, in particular, was filthy. The bed was rickety and uncomfortable, and the sheets were so threadbare you could almost see through them. I will not stay there again. There are plenty of other nice, clean hotels in the Clear Lake/Mason City area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
West Des Moines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed on a weekend trip in August, 2011. The motel is right off of I-35 and is in Clear Lake, IA so fills up on the weekends.
The staff was very friendly but the rooms are over-priced. We had a "king whirlpool suite" and it was in need of refreshing. It was clean but the toilet was rocky (not a great feeling) and the carpet had a big burn mark from an iron being dropped.
The bed was comfortable but the bedspread was one of those polyester numbers that are a little scary and the blanket was thin and short.
Breakfast is carbs - mini muffins, waffles, cereal, mini donuts, apples, etc. They did have a hot biscuits and gravy which was pretty ok.

Room Tip: Book ahead if you're staying in the summer. It fills up.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

This is just an average hotel. Nothing special. The rooms appear to be clean and the location is decent. I would say that my main concern is that the hotel appears to be older for this brand. But, it is an okay hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

I'm a huge fan of AmericInn's when I'm traveling in the upper-Midwest. The chain has done a nice job of "standardizing" the facilities, so you always know what you're getting.

First the good: Breakfast was good and the staff was overwhelmingly kind, friendly and helpful. The pool and lobby areas were as nice as always in an AmericInn

The bad: The room was showing some age. Some of the metal surfaces in the bathroom - door frame and vent covers - were showing some rust. The room also wasn't what we requested on the web site. Our confirmation was for a two room suite. I didn't realize that the bathroom was going to be counted as one of the rooms.

I didn't complain because I didn't have access to my original reservation during our stay, I'm sure the staff would have been helpful.

Another thing that bugs me is that I was invited to do a survey and commented about everything in this review. However, no one ever took the time to get back to me!

Finally, a few words about the AmericInn Gift Card I used. Stay away from them! For some strange reason, we could only use 85% of the total value on the cost of our room. The kind office staff tells me I can use the remainder on something else where, but when it was given to us, we expected to use every last cent on the hotel bill. Very strange and something AmericInn corporate should look into...I know the hotel staff wasn't pleased to have to explain it to me!

• Liked — Breakfast was good, staff was GREAT
  • Disliked — Smoke from smoking section seeping into our non-smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

The Americin was a very pleasant place to stay. Access to the motel was very easy off Interstate 35; parking lot was large and well lit, and the facility was very neat and clean. Lobby is very attractive, and rooms were very comfortable. Swimming pool and game room are available, although I did not use either. Breakfast was fine--breakfast area was clean and inviting. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Access to area attractions and recreational opportunities
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early during summer months
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
International Falls, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2005

On my way to Kansas City one night the weather turned bad and I had to stop over in the closest city which was Clear Lake. There were several hotels in a group right off the Intersate I-35 so I just picked one. Upon walking in everything seemed fine. The hotel clerk was very pleasant and proficient at her job. There were no problems until I walked into the room. The room appeared neat and clean. The issue was the smell. Laying my face down on the pillow, the smell was unbearable. I did not sleep all night. In the morning I went to brush my teeth and turned the water on. The smell was atrocious. I had asked to check out the night before and was told I could not get my money back or I would have left. I think the motel would have been great except for the issue with the water.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Clear Lake? Share your experiences!