“Clean and Economical” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maryville, Missouri
“Clean and Economical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My daughter and I were traveling through Clear Lake, Iowa, the last week of August, 2012. Our stay at the Microtel Inn was very pleasant. We located it on Google Maps and had a GPS in the car, so it was easy to near the interstate. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The price was very reasonable. The neighborhood looked nice, and we felt safe staying there. The rooms were clean with a pleasant decor. The beds were comfortable and no noise disturbed our sleep. They offered a continental breakfast, but there were several places to eat in the neighborhood if you so chose. We were only there for the one night and left right away the next morning to continue our journey, but I would highly recommend this facility to anyone traveling I-35.

Room Tip: I did not notice of there was an elevator or not; our room was on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night here in August and I was not impressed! I usually like to stay away from 1 and 2 star hotels, but the reviews seemed to be positive so I gave it a try. The biggest issue was the carpets. They were filthy! The linens appeared clean, but with the dirty carpets, and musty smell I was not comfortable. I will not stay at another Microtel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

One of the nicer Microtels. Large double queen room (by Microtel standards), nice desk, good sized bathroom. Only one ice machine but afternoon cookies and friendly, professional, helpful staff.

Breakfast was standard fare. Bagels, coffee, juice, generic cereal, hard boiled eggs. Good, thick towels, but a bit scratchy. 10% discount at Culver’s across the parking lot. LOTS of fast food within walking distance. Also a Perkins a block away.

About half of the third floor is devoted to smoking rooms so the hallway and some of the non-smoking rooms smell a bit like cigarettes, but it’s not overpowering. If that bothers you, try to get on the first or second floor. I tried, but they were completely booked. Don’t worry about the strange noises the elevator makes.

Room Tip: Non-smokers should avoid rooms on the third floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Des Moines, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The hotel is clean, comfortable and quiet. I rarely heard anything outside my room. Breakfast was standard cold continental style, which was just fine. The only issues I had were minor: no coffee maker in the room; lighting could have been better; bathroom light and (very loud) fan were on the same switch - would be nice to have one without the other.

My room did not come with a refrigerator. Upon my request, the staff brought one to my room very quickly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gonic, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This location was what I expect of a Microtel. It seems some of the Microtels are becoming more like their sister properties in the Wyndham chain. This one has not fallen to that level. The room was neat and clean with a firm bed and clean bathroom. The bathroom was missing soap for the bath tub, but otherwise all amenties were stocked. The people at the front desk were pleasant on arrival and departure. The breakfast was several types of fruit, pastry, bagels and bread with some cereal, juice and coffee as well.
I had the room facing out just over the entrance and near the elevator. The room was quiet enough that I never heard the elevator or any exterior noise. The room was also directly under a large Culver's illuminated sign. The window treatment blocked the excessive light. The room also looked out on a small flat roof area just over the entrance. There were several cleaned bones from a non-domesticated animal. I did mention it to the front desk on the way out. It appeared they had been picked clean and sun-bleached, so they had been there a while.
This location does not have a washer and dryer for customer use.
I will return again and would feel comfortable bringing my spouse who has had three sinus surgeries. There were no odors or any kind detectable during this visit.

Room Tip: This is a three floor hotel with an elevator. There was no road noise present and the window treatm...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
North Platte, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Nice affordable and clean. My ac wasn't working so I just mentioned it so they could fix it for the next person. Then i got my bill with a discount. Thanks for the great service!

• Stayed June 2012
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I've come to like the Microtel chain, and this one was fine - affordable price, friendly and efficient desk clerk, everything was clean. Good wifi. The mini-fridge (which I had to ask for; not all rooms have them) was smaller than usual and not really adequate. The temp is uneven in those tiny ones so either all your chemical ice melts or all your food freezes. The motel was far away enough from the highway to be nice and quiet, and within walking distance of a Culver's restaurant.

The breakfast was OK - the usual cereals and breads, along with fresh fruit and some yogurt. No free newspaper at this one, but a pay box in the entryway. One good thing that impressed me: we had to unexpectedly cut our stay short by one day, and they cancelled my extra day without any trouble. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Clear Lake? Share your experiences!