“Great view and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

South Shore Inn - Clear Lake
1603 South Shore Drive, Clear Lake, IA 50428-2720   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clear Lake
DSM
“Great view and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed here in July 2012. The property was recently re-modeled by new owners. It is located directly on the lake with great sunset views. Our party had three rooms and everyone was very satisfied with the accommodations. The rooms are clean, beds were comfortable and the air conditioning worked really well in my room. My room also had an enormous jetted tub, but I didn't use it.
There is a simple continental breakfast available in the very small lobby, but no seating. There is a lakeside restaurant called The Landing on one corner of the property that is open for lunch and dinner serving appetizers, salads and sandwiches. This is really nice because there doesn't seem to be many places to eat or drink that have a view of the lake.
The friendly owners and staff deserve a mention. They accommodated all requests quickly and cheerfully and really seemed to care that we were happy with our stay. I plan to return next summer.

Room Tip: Room 105 has a spa tub.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Todd L, Owner at South Shore Inn - Clear Lake, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you for the very nice review. We look forward to seeing you again next summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Monroe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Just returned from staying in the South Shore Inn and I would highly recommend it. After we checked in and walked into our room, we were immediately drawn to the wonderful view of the lake. The rooms looked like they had just been updated and were large, nice, and clean. The owners and staff were a group of classy individuals. They were gracious hosts and treated us like old friends -- loved it. Staff recommended great places to shop, explore, and eat; they know their community well. Our group of 12 girls booked for next year before we left, but I hope to return before that with my husband and maybe all the kids. Sitting and enjoying refreshing drinks at the restaurant/bar area while having that great view of the lake was awesome. In the early evening, we even took a pontoon ride around the lake; that was the icing on the cake. I would highly recommend this Inn if you enjoy being right on the lake and like a friendly environment!

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower level had patio areas with tables and chairs. The upstairs rooms had small d...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Parkville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I am a business traveler and spend 130 nights a year in hotels. South Shore Inn was a great break from the Marriott Products in which I stay. The staff is GREAT, the rooms are big, the view of the lake is spectacular, and the restaurant has great food and drink prices are cheap. I will bring my family here to stay on a vacation and I will return here when I am back in this area for business. I highly recommend South Shore Inn!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view so you cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The rooms have been remodeled and the updates are nice. We enjoyed the new boat lift. The new South Shore Inn has changed the new bar and grill covers up three ground floor rooms, so if you like to sitt outside your patio door and enjoy the lake make sure you get one of the rooms away from the bar and grill. The new bar and grill was a nice addition with music and the availability of ordering food onsite. The staff at the motel and bar and grill were great. DRM

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Plymouth, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Our expectation to find a clean and crisp room was not met. Perhaps the hotel can offer good views of the lake. But our main need is to stay in a non-smelly hotel with clean sheets, bed and interior. Though this hotel might have been renovated recently, it appears they spent a lot of money on the hot tubs rather than the actual rooms. Everything else is old. (carpets, sheets, beds, curtains etcs)

So it depends on what you need. If you want the views, then yes. But if you want a better room, look somewhere else. But options are limited in this area.

Room Tip: We fell for the first floor with patio access to the lake. Perhaps second floor is much better.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We just returned from a stay at the South Shore Inn. When I booked the room online, I reserved a king, ground floor room with patio. When we checked in, we were given a second floor room with balcony. When questioned about this, the desk clerk indicated that the ground floor room was not available and that we would like the second floor room better with the balcony. The balcony was small, and although it faced the lake, you could hardly see the lake through the lattice work around the balcony with the low chairs on the balcony. It would have been great if the chairs were higher. The room itself was nothing extra. It was clean, and it was nice to have a fridge. The outdoor bar was great. When we checked out, I indicated our disappointment in not being given the room we had reserved and that you really couldn't see the lake when you sat on the balcony. The two people at the desk did not appear to be concerned about customer satisfaction.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

First I tried to use their website to book my stay but kept getting an error message when I tried to submit. So I called the hotel directly to explain my troubles and make a reservation over the phone. The person I talked to was helpful and said she would make sure I was not double booked. When I arrived at the hotel the night of my stay there was no record of my reservation. I could not find my confirmation number (my fault, I know) but they were completely booked anyway. We ended up having to get another hotel on the other side of town. It was a hassle as we had a 2 week old baby and the rest of the wedding guests were staying at the South Shore Inn. My husband ended up having to pay for a taxi to take him back and forth. Two days later I received a charge on my credit card from the hotel. Obviously, I had made a reservation if they had my credit card number. When I called they still were not sure what happened. They did credit me back for the charge but nothing else. I would NOT recommend this hotel. They owner made me feel like I had made the mistake and had not booked the right hotel when obviously I had. They did not offer to help make up for the added hassle or cost of a taxi. Very disappointed!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at South Shore Inn - Clear Lake, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Again, we sincerely apologize for your experience. We are a small, locally owned hotel and pride ourselves on superior customer service and are disappointed that you did not get to experience that. As explained over the phone, your reservation was requested for a different night so it did not come up correctly in our system when you checked in. We should have caught this mistake as you tried to check in and apologize that you were charged for a no-show.

You credit card was refunded immediately and we are willing to offer you 50% off a room if you ever choose to stay in Clear Lake again. If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, please email me directly (via this post) and we will get it handled. Thank you.

Been to South Shore Inn - Clear Lake? Share your experiences!