“Extremely wonderful hosts!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilltop Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clear Lake
Hilltop Motel
Save Saved
You added Hilltop Motel to your Saves list
10 Allens Alley, Clear Lake, IA 50428   |
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in Clear Lake
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Extremely wonderful hosts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Hilltop is fantastic, and what makes it so great are the wonderful people that run it. The service and respect you get makes you really feel at home. It is very peaceful, no matter what you want to do. Hang out by the pool, BBQ on the patio, sit in the hot tub, or play a game of bean bag toss. No place better to relax and enjoy some time away from home, with a home town feel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dubuque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

we have gone every summer for the last couple years and have had the best of times. The kids love to swim, it is a nice family atmosphere, and Jay and Terri are wonderful hosts. It is so nice and relaxing and close to places. The rooms are awesome with different themes.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
St Charles, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night on our way to Canada on a motorcycle trip last month. Our stay at Hilltop was fantastic. If you like family owned nostalgic motels, this is your place. The owner showed this around the property when we checked in and even allowed us to put our motorcycles in her garage overnight. They have a very nice pool area and bbq pavilion where they supply everything needed to grill you meal (except the meat). Give Hilltop a try, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed July 2012
travelgirlfromiowa, Owner at Hilltop Motel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
thank you very much for the review. We look forward to your next visit to Clear Lake!!
Stewartville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Room was very clean and very nicely decorated. You can tell the newer owners have put lots of sweat and muscle into refurbishing this motel. Comfortable beds with very nice bedding. Owner was very pleasant and accomodating. Located directly across from the Surf Ballroom, which is what we were looking for. No driving after the show. Very reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
travelgirlfromiowa, Owner at Hilltop Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for the great review.
We look forward to seeing you this summer!!!
Clinton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed here for a just over a week while in the area on business. The price is very reasonable, and the accommodations clean and tidy. I had the pleasure of staying in the rock n' roll room which was an added plus! Room has full sized fridge, microwave and kitchenette. The bathroom is small and the shower is tiny, but you can still get the job done. It's just across the street from the legendary Surf ballroom and a hop, skip and jump from the lake. The courtyard of the motel has a very nice patio with Gas grills (and all the tools and spices) tables and TV. I was here before pool season but the pool area is also very nice. The owners are very friendly folks who want to help you enjoy your stay at this great motel. I will definitely return and stay at the Hilltop.

Room Tip: Theme rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011 via mobile

My husband surprised me with this hotel stay for our 2nd anniversary. We live in clear lake so I was aware of the hotels background. The hotel looks worse than it is on the outside. Once you get to the center pool area the atmosphere changes and has a family summer party happy setting. It was very hot when we came and spent all our time in the pool which was nice owner cleaned it right before we got in. Still lots of bugs and leaves in the pool but that's expected with an outdoor pool. The hotel room (we stayed in the sailboat beach themem room I think) was nasty. I will admit I have phobias with hotel rooms but this was just gross. Carpet was filthy bathroom had hairs all over. I wouldn't touch anything if I could help it. This room actually made me cry and started a fight between my husband and I on our anniversary. I refused to sleep in this hotel and my husband refused to not get his money worth and not sleep there so we slept apart on our anniversary. Overall the day was good and I look back on the anniversary as not perfect but a great day. Hubby and I spent most of it in the pool together and we completely forgot we were in our hometown. It felt like Florida :) it was a great little adventure. But could have been better. I wouldnt stay here again but would pay to use the deck and pool area in the summer! This hotel is not up to my standards but I knew that because like owner said, there is only so much a 1940s hotel in clear lake can offer. For that its good. Short walk to the beach too!

• Stayed July 2011
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Charming motel across the street from the Surf Ballroom where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & the Big Bopper played their last shows. (If you're lucky enough to be there when the 'Bop on in and have a look around' sign is hanging on the door - you'll see that the place is pretty amazing). The motel is also across from lovely Clear Lake. Walking distance to little town of antique stores. Friendly people all around. I highly recommend taking a long walk - it's a beautiful area. The motel itself has themed rooms, an outdoor pool, hot tub and game room with ping pong. Our room had 3 beds, a mini fridge and microwave. They also offer a large library of dvds and family games free of charge. Nothing fancy, but very nice overall.

Room Tip: Check the pictures on their website and ask questions
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hilltop Motel? Share your experiences!