“Loved the Hilltop” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilltop Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clear Lake
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clear Lake
St Charles, MO
“Loved the Hilltop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night on our way to Canada on a motorcycle trip last month. Our stay at Hilltop was fantastic. If you like family owned nostalgic motels, this is your place. The owner showed this around the property when we checked in and even allowed us to put our motorcycles in her garage overnight. They have a very nice pool area and bbq pavilion where they supply everything needed to grill you meal (except the meat). Give Hilltop a try, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed July 2012
travelgirlfromiowa, Owner at Hilltop Motel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
thank you very much for the review. We look forward to your next visit to Clear Lake!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Stewartville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Room was very clean and very nicely decorated. You can tell the newer owners have put lots of sweat and muscle into refurbishing this motel. Comfortable beds with very nice bedding. Owner was very pleasant and accomodating. Located directly across from the Surf Ballroom, which is what we were looking for. No driving after the show. Very reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
travelgirlfromiowa, Owner at Hilltop Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for the great review.
We look forward to seeing you this summer!!!
Clinton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed here for a just over a week while in the area on business. The price is very reasonable, and the accommodations clean and tidy. I had the pleasure of staying in the rock n' roll room which was an added plus! Room has full sized fridge, microwave and kitchenette. The bathroom is small and the shower is tiny, but you can still get the job done. It's just across the street from the legendary Surf ballroom and a hop, skip and jump from the lake. The courtyard of the motel has a very nice patio with Gas grills (and all the tools and spices) tables and TV. I was here before pool season but the pool area is also very nice. The owners are very friendly folks who want to help you enjoy your stay at this great motel. I will definitely return and stay at the Hilltop.

Room Tip: Theme rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011 via mobile

My husband surprised me with this hotel stay for our 2nd anniversary. We live in clear lake so I was aware of the hotels background. The hotel looks worse than it is on the outside. Once you get to the center pool area the atmosphere changes and has a family summer party happy setting. It was very hot when we came and spent all our time in the pool which was nice owner cleaned it right before we got in. Still lots of bugs and leaves in the pool but that's expected with an outdoor pool. The hotel room (we stayed in the sailboat beach themem room I think) was nasty. I will admit I have phobias with hotel rooms but this was just gross. Carpet was filthy bathroom had hairs all over. I wouldn't touch anything if I could help it. This room actually made me cry and started a fight between my husband and I on our anniversary. I refused to sleep in this hotel and my husband refused to not get his money worth and not sleep there so we slept apart on our anniversary. Overall the day was good and I look back on the anniversary as not perfect but a great day. Hubby and I spent most of it in the pool together and we completely forgot we were in our hometown. It felt like Florida :) it was a great little adventure. But could have been better. I wouldnt stay here again but would pay to use the deck and pool area in the summer! This hotel is not up to my standards but I knew that because like owner said, there is only so much a 1940s hotel in clear lake can offer. For that its good. Short walk to the beach too!

• Stayed July 2011
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Charming motel across the street from the Surf Ballroom where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & the Big Bopper played their last shows. (If you're lucky enough to be there when the 'Bop on in and have a look around' sign is hanging on the door - you'll see that the place is pretty amazing). The motel is also across from lovely Clear Lake. Walking distance to little town of antique stores. Friendly people all around. I highly recommend taking a long walk - it's a beautiful area. The motel itself has themed rooms, an outdoor pool, hot tub and game room with ping pong. Our room had 3 beds, a mini fridge and microwave. They also offer a large library of dvds and family games free of charge. Nothing fancy, but very nice overall.

Room Tip: Check the pictures on their website and ask questions
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We use trip advisor to find great hotels and have never been disappointed.. until now. It was dirty and needed maintenance work. The worst: there were brown smears on the toilet seat and white stains and multiple blond hairs on the bluesheets. The manager changed the sheets and washed the toilet: the replaced and cleaned items appeared OK. There were crackers under the dresser and a baby toy the size of a phone under the bed. I mentioned to the manager that I thought maybe that they had missed the room when cleaning (I was hoping what I found wasn't a "cleaned" room). The only response I got was "I am sorry you feel that way". They were not friendly, but im sure they weren't happy I asked them to change the sheets and wash the toilet. The ceiling had a 12 inch diameter circle where the plaster had come off the ceiling and other areas that looked like they were going to come down. the bathroom is extremely small. There is barely room to shut the door or get to the toilet. . We discussed leaving the hotel and just losing our money, but we decided to stay since it was late. the outside walkways are covered with artificial green grass/carpet, but it is in bad shape and ripping off. The outside of the hotel is all concrete and streets, but there is a small courtyard and pool in the center. The second floor walkway feels mushy and I was uncomfortable walking on it. It is a short walk to the lake from the hotel, and it does have a porch area some of the guests use. I did not see any bed bugs in the beds. It is cheap.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
travelgirlfromiowa, Owner at Hilltop Motel, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Unfortunately we were unable to satisfy this guest. After several phone calls requesting history on the motel and the smoking status of this room (we were only able to confirm smoking status back to our ownership period of 4 1/2 years) - she did finally book the room. In hindsight I should have known the motel was not going to satisfy her. In the room she questioned the comforter - which was in the Coca-Cola room - red corduray quilting that she thought looked slept in - the puckering on the freshly washed covering concerned her - I reassured her that it was clean and unslept in - she came in about 10 minutes later and spoke with my husband (with a smirk on her face and seemed to find humor in challenging our cleanliness) to notify us that she stripped the bed and wanted new sheets - the navy blue sheets did in fact have a bleach mark on the upper fitted area - but we did comply with her request and recleaned to her satisfaction. As for the musty smell on the exterior carpeted balconey - it is exterior carpeting and as such it is rained and snowed on. We are aware that it is worn and will be replacing as the budget allows. This property was built in 1940 and we have replaced all windows, roofs, furnaces, central air, appliances, bedding, tv's, ceiling fans, pool area refinished and gutted rooms and made them theme decorated. We are not a fancy motel but have set ourselves apart by making this lake/cottage style comfortable, clean and friendly.

We pride ourselves on our unique property and enjoy all of ours guests - but sometimes there are guests that are looking for perfection that a 1940's motel is not equipped to deliver.

This particular guest did not request a refund but was given one.
Scales Mound, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We rented the breakfast suite, it was huge! The breakfast was the best we have ever had! From the moment we arrived we were treated like old friends! They have an awesome patio area, pool and hot tub, many extras that are not offered at the best suites at the hilton, and my wife says the pool boy is not bad to look at either! We will be staying here again. Very relaxing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hilltop Motel? Share your experiences!