“Drive on by!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Urbana, Illinois
“Drive on by!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

With a national chain I'd expect that the employees would be better trained. It isn't that they were not nice, they simply didn't exert any effort to assist guests. For example, the wifi didn't work in the room we were assigned--would never work as there were power transmission lines outside the room. They referred us to the 800 help line--their suggestion--just walk around the hotel till you find a hot spot. The food in the restaurant was poor! The restaurant understaffed. Rooms were run-down, but clean. I've experienced better at a Super 8 and for far less in terms of price.

Room Tip: Select any other hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I planned a wedding reception at the Clarion on our one year anniversary. (We skipped the reception until this point.) We were both thoroughly unimpressed by both the venue and the service we received from the event planner on staff especially.

First of all, we came into the hotel a few months prior to the event to taste the food and discuss the details of the party. We were very clear about the food we wanted to have at the party at this point. Two weeks prior to the party when payment was due, I noticed that the invoice had listed the incorrect food for the main course. When I brought this to the attention of the event planner, she had not even remembered that we had planning to have a buffet instead of a plated meal. I had to again inform her once again of the planned menu. At this point, I received an email back from her stating only "Got it".

This was the last communication I had with the event planner as we did not see or hear from her after we paid the bill two weeks prior to the event. She was not present at the event nor did she call before or after the event to follow-up with us.

Part of our party package included the "Honeymoon Suite" for the night of the party. The room was very small and the hotel hallways smelled like cigarette smoke. We awoke in the morning to lots of bugs on the floor on the floor of the bathroom and the hotel room.

The actual party was nice and the staff working the party were decent. The sound system we were provided for the party had a loose connection and would cut out whenever we touched it. The venue in general was outdated. I would say that for what we actually received, the venue was much too expensive.

We would not recommend to have a party here or to stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I really only come on TripAdvisor to rave about my favorite hotels; but this one deserves a couple complaints from me.

First of all I will say there is absolutely nothing wrong with the staff. The hotel is just absurdly outdated. There was hair all over the bathroom floor. It almost looked like someone emptied a hairbrush and put it on the floor. I can't say if the shower was dirty or not; because the bathroom is made of brown porcelain. Probably smart on their part.

It's only plus is an on time airport shuttle and a couple things in walking distance (sonic, pizza hut, taco bell)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for an convention. I checked in the customer service was great and helpful only with the day staff, the night staff was helpful until you check out early and ask them to make an note in the computer that you are checking out early and the bill doesn’t come on the day you check out early.
The hotel room didn’t match the pictures online, it was outdate, but clean. The 2 nights that i did stay, it was loud from all the trucks and buses that came to the hotel throughout the night.
The hallways, elevator, room smelled like smoke even though I was on a smoke free floor.
The breakfast was free but there was few choices, it was free so cant complain, but the room that it was in I felt like it was back in the 80's.
The pool area was dated; it seemed that it has not be updated since the hotel open. The fitness room seems to be the only room that I visit in the hotel that was updated.
I will never stay at this hotel again even if the convention is held there, I will stay at an better hotel near.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Boone, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I didn't actually stay here, but because of a mix up in reservations, was charged for a night's stay. I just wish they had been more sympathetic to my situation. The Clarion we actually stayed at wasn't helpful either, nor was Choice Hotel's customer service. That $99.68 my have not seemed like a big deal to them, but it is to me. As a result, I won't be recommending any of the Clarion hotels.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Waterloo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night before a very early flight. I originally booked because they had a park and fly option and the hotel we normally use was booked. But the shuttle doesn't begin until 5 am and our flight left at 5:45 so it wasn't worth cutting it that close. We just ended up driving which wasn't a huge deal, but if you're going to offer park and fly, there aren't that many flights leaving Cedar Rapids so I feel like they should accommodate the early take offs.

Everything else was fine, not the nicest hotel I've ever seen but there are definitely worse. I probably wouldn't stay for more than a night.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Wenatchee, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This hotel has a nice lobby and friendly front desk staff. That was it. The hallways and elevator were very smoke-filled at all times. (We were there for a long while.) The room we had was dark, dresser drawers did not close, dirty remote, exposed pipe in the bathroom, spotted fixtures. There were only 2 outlets not being used for us to charge our electronics. The free breakfast was not good at all - some sort of egg product, brown fruit. It is held in a windowless room that is a throwback to the 80s. (In fact, other than the lobby - the entire hotel probably hasn't been updated in 20+ years.) The hot tub was an old plastic style and very small. After noticing a film on hair, we got out and never used again. Internet went out often. Train is right outside window and goes often through the night, as do the cars on the busy road. Location is good, but there are a lot of other hotels in the same exact area that would have been far better. We will never stay there again. Ever. We did everything we could do to escape the hotel instead of going back there to relax.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!