“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Detroit, Michigan
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

It was a fine enough place to stay. Nothing fancy. The shower temperature was very difficult to regulate. The lounge is open late and Lisa the bartender is great - but the kitchen closes at 9p. And there really is nothing else close by. The housekeeping staff was very stingy with toiletries, to the point the first night I walked to the front desk to get replacements and then I tipped them and left a note to ensure I would have more the next day. Also - there was always a line at the lobby coffee carafe. It was always employees. There was a train that I could hear faintly - but a) that is not their fault and b) I am a light sleeper. The location was FINE for me - a five minute walk to downtown, the convention center, two theatres, two mexican restaurants, a couple of steakhouses and many little bars. Not much in the way of sundry/drugstores if you arrive on a weekend or late night. Finding the place is slightly difficult - but mostly because as an out of towner - I did not immediately recoginize the difference between 1st Street, 1st Ave, 1st Street NW and 1st Street W. We don't do that where I am from. Breakfast is not included - but a refrigerator and microwave are - so if you are on an extended stay and can find the grocery store - you should be just fine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Plymouth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This motel is across the street from the Cedar River and there is a nice path for walking along the river. Room was spacious and clean, staff efficient and friendly. No complimentary breakfast, but there is a restaurant attached. Close to downtown and the Kernels ball park, as well as other attractions. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mikel A, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Cooper's Mill Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Best Western Cooper’s Mill Hotel. Cedar Rapids offers may hiking/biking trails and we happen to be fortunate enough to have one just outside our front doors that follows along the river. Taking a relaxing strolling down the trail is a great way for our guest to get out and enjoy Cedar Rapids. We hope to see you again soon. Have a great day.
Chicago Burb
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stay here often because it's close to Coe College. The rooms are clean, if a little worn and dated. There are several pet rooms and they have also been clean. I have had issues with cable service or remote control issues sometimes and the service desk is helpful and accommodating. It must be close to the airport because I see pilots and flight attendants in there a lot. The Cedar Rapids road system right there is confusing with the one ways and three road intersections but the roads aren't busy so you have time to adjust.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Best Western Cooper’s Mill Hotel. We are close to Coe College and do offer a Coe College Rate to alumni, parents of students and students. We’re happy to have a partnership with Coe. As for the intersection of F Avenue and 1st street, it can be very confusing to travelers. We hope that the Cedar Rapids streets won’t detour you from staying with us again. We appreciate all guest and their animal companions. We hope to see you again soon.
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

First of all, would I stay here again. Yes I would. But there are a few things that I wasn't crazy about.

Getting to the hotel is a bit of a challenge. I'm fairly familiar to Cedar Rapids, so I didn't have an issue, but if I had never been to the town, it would be difficult.
I stayed at the Best Western Cooper's Mill with my family. In fairness to the hotel, we did try to cram 3 adults and 2 kids into a 2 Queen room, and did find it cramped. Our toilet contiously ran all night and we did have trouble regulating our room temp.

On to the good. The pool and hot tub area were very nice. I like how it was on the 2nd floor. The hotel itself is very clean and the staff are lovely and friendly. I had no issues with check in/out. The restaurant is also nice, I would prefer a continental breakfast tho.

I would stay here again as stated above. Cleanliness and staff friendliness outweigh a runny toilet.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mikel A, Manager at BEST WESTERN Cooper's Mill Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Katie,

I'm pleased to hear that our staff provided you with a friendly and caring experience. I'm sorry to hear that you did have some issues with your toilet and room temperature. If these problems would've been brought to the attention of the front desk agent, we would've had the issue settled for you promptly. I want to thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a pet friendly Hotel located on the banks of the Cedar River. There is a nice Riverwalk that takes you downtown. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
Mikel A, Manager at BEST WESTERN Cooper's Mill Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Let me start off by saying, thank you for your nice compliments. We care just as much about our pet guests as we do anyone else. I’m glad that our staff made your stay enjoyable; we strive on serving the highest quality in customer service. Being able to stroll along the banks of the Cedar River is a nice way for our guest to relax. We hope to see you again.
Cedar Falls, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was looking to spend the night in Cedar Rapids and wanted to stay close to downtown. This Best Western advertised a $79 a night hotel room on here but then when I went to book it I spoke on the phone with a Michael, he said it's not available online and he said, "It's just one of those advertisment things" and that the rate would be $108. I'm in the Army and he was going to give me a military discount so the price would go down to $80. However, my girlfriend was staying with me too so he wanted to charge me another $10 for one more person. I found that to be ludicrous and asked to speak with the manager, in which Michael said that he was the manager. I then told him that I've never had any hotel charge me extra money for one other person. He didn't have a response at all, there was just awkward silence on the phone. So then I promptly asked to cancel my reservation, hung up and got a hold of the Hampton Inn that is only a single mile further away. I spoke with a delightful young lady that when I told her this story she laughed. She gave me the $80 military rate and laughed at them trying to charge me an extra $10 for an extra person. They allow up to 4 people without an extra charge. So save your time and money and just call the Hampton Inn down the road at (319) 364-8144.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristena R, Manager at BEST WESTERN Cooper's Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hi there. As the new manager of the Best Western Coopers Mill, I want to apologize for your less than acceptable experience. It is not common practice to charge extra for a 2nd guest unless you are needing an upgrade in the room type. I do not know all of the details aside from what you listed above but from what I read, I don't blame you for reacting the way you did. I want to assure you that we do have military pricing and that I will do everything in my power to improve your impression of our hotel. Being 1 of only 2 hotels located in the downtown area, I hope you have another opportunity to visit us. I am confident we can create a fan going forward.

Been to BEST WESTERN Cooper's Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!