“Would not stay here again” 2 of 5 stars

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8910 6th St. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404   |
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Sheffield, Iowa, United States
“Would not stay here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We love AmericInn's but this one was a huge disappointment. Tons of construction going on and the parking lot was hard to get in/out of. Grounds were messy and front desk staff less than friendly. Breakfast was blah. Bugs in the ceiling fixture in the bathroom and around the whirlpool tub. Bed was hard. This is not what we are used to when we stay at an AmericInn, don't bother staying here. Plus, there are no restaurants within a short distance to eat at.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was disappointing. We are working on the AmericInn Refresh project so yes there is construction going on. We have re-sided the entire hotel and asphalted the entire parking lot. We are now getting ready to work on landscaping. We have repainted the common areas and are also painting the guests rooms. We have added new lamps and we have just placed an order for new mattress and new linen. There will be more great things to come. We are working hard to make this a better AmericInn for our guests. Our breakfast items is what our corporate office requires us to have and we have quite a variety of items to choose from. I will speak with the housekeeping department about the bugs, but we do have a pest control company that comes every other week. You are correct that we do not have alot by the hotel but about 3-4 miles from us is several restaurant choices. I hope that in the future you will return and see all the great changes we have made for our guests. Amanda Minnaert General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Swan River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night after having had an excellent stay here a couple of years ago. Things have gone downhill since then. All their advertising, including in-room, promised free wifi. The first thing we did was try to connect. No luck. Contacted the front desk, no luck. Contacted their tech support company and after 15 minutes was told the only wifi available was in the lobby area. We tried to connect wired and had no luck. After 20 frustrating minutes, we requested a room change and were accommodated. In the new room, we were able to get wifi, although I don't think it was the hotel's wifi. In today's age, reliable wifi is almost a necessity. Wifi aside, the rest of our stay was your typical budget hotel - good but not exceptional.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
I would like to apologize that you had trouble using our free wi-fi. Within the last week we just had fiber optics installed at the hotel so that we would be able to offer fast internet service to our guests. I am not sure why the 800 tech line told you that the wi-fi was only in the lobby as we do offer it in the guest rooms. I am going to get in touch with my IT department and have them check the access points that we have installed in the hallways so we can make sure they are all working correctly. Once again I do apologize that you had so much trouble. Getting onto the internet should not be a difficult process. I want to assure you that I will have this looked into. I look forward to having you return in the future so that we may be able to provide you with another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Sincerely Amanda Minnaert General Manager
Saint Charles, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been staying a Americinn for the last 10 years and this is the worst time I have had. We reserved a Whirlpool room and the whirlpool does not work. The air conditioner did not work, although it did get fixed. We had to turn off all the light switches and then turn them back on. Then the air came on. They refused to refund the difference between the whirlpool rate and regular room rate. Both the manager and clerk were very unprofessional and all but called me a liar. Hell will freeze over before I stay a this hotel again.

Room Tip: Only rent from hotels directly and not a 3rd party company. If they refuse to give you a refund, yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I apologize that you had some issues during your stay. I am glad that we were able to get the A/C working for you. When I talked with you about the whirlpool there are several factors in making sure that it will work. First there must be enough water-there are sensors in the whirlpool that know if there is enough water in the tub, the emergency switch on the wall can not be turned off and then there is a button to push to make it turns on and finally the timer. When a whirlpool room is cleaned we fill it up with water and make sure that it works, this way if it does not we can repair it before a guest checks into the room. The day you checked in that room was cleaned and the whirlpool was checked and it worked. After your departure it was checked again and it worked. We did offer to come to your room to assist you in getting it working and this offer was declined. I do apologize if you had trouble getting it to work. I have contacted the 3rd party that you booked you room through and I have issued you a refund. They told me that it would take 7-10 business day for you to receive this. Once again I apologize for the troubles you had and I would love for you to return to give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel and I will discuss with you what I would like to offer you. Amanda Minnaert General Manager
Nashua, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here just overnight to go to a birthday party. Didn't need to spend too much time in the hotel. Just to sleep. Unfortunately, that was the worst part. The room was nice. Very clean. Check-in & out was easy & fast.They are revamping the outside with new siding. Need to spend a little money on new mattresses. There were 3 of us in our party & none of us got much sleep on these beds.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I wanted to let you know that we are aware that our mattresses need to be replaced. We started the remodeling with painting the public areas and are now painting the guest rooms. We are installing brand new lamps. In about a month to a month and a half will be be getting new mattresses and brand new linen for all our rooms. We just went 100% smoke free and we are working on installing new siding and having our parking lot repaired. We are working hard to provide our guests with a better AmericInn. It is great to hear that are rooms are nice and clean and that you enjoyed the quick check in and check service. We look forward to you coming back to stay with us in the future and enjoy how we have refreshed our hotel for our guests. Amanda Minnaert General Manager
Dubuque, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I called the hotel to see if they had availability. The gentleman answered the phone was below average for customer service. Stated the rate for the park and fly package and never really asked me if I wanted a room or not. However, I thought I would book my stay for the park and fly package. When I went in to check in the gentleman was not at the desk so clicked on the button to get his attention at the front desk. During the check in process, since he did not offer anything about the property, or inform us of what the hotel offered I asked about breakfast. He stated they had a hot breakfast, however, if I am leaving early there would be cereal available for us. Wow for the price you pay, you only get cereal in the morning when in fact they could have put the waffle batter in the machine and heated up the waffle griddle in no time???? I understand about the other hot items, however, the waffle machine does not take much to start up. That morning when we went to the breakfast and we had to ask for milk for our cereal. The girl at the desk was like rolling her eyes as if we were bothering her. She did not smile or greet us. I asked about the hard boiled eggs and she said I guess I can unlock the refrigerator. Once she unlocked for us to get the eggs, she went back and locked it up again. Really, how crazy is that. There definitely needs to be improvement in customer service at this hotel. I have stayed here a few years ago and the service has gone down tremendously. The rooms are somewhat outdated as well. They need to be refreshed with paint touch up and new linens. The beds are terrible and need to be upgraded. I would think twice before staying here again. The price is high if you are not getting the opportunity to have a decent breakfast along with the poor customer service being offered at the hotel.

Room Tip: They do have an elevator
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
First I want to start with an apologize. I do not train my staff to treat guests in that manner. The gentleman that you spoke to should have asked you if you wished to set up a reservation. Also during the check in process the clerks are to be telling you about the property. The hours the pool is available, breakfast hours, that we have wi-fi available, where the elevator is, ice machine etc. Also there is not a problem at all with having some of the breakfast available before 6am as we understand some guests will leave prior to that time. We can have most of it available with the execepttion of the waffles, eggs, bacon and sausage. Normally we can have it out about 5am when a guests asks. Without those items this still leaves many options. The clerk working when you came down should have been friendly and had a can-attitude to assist you. I am truly unhappy that you did not have a great experience here and I can assure you that I will be speaking to my entire front desk staff in regards to this. Customer service is the most important thing you can offer a guest. I hope that you will return to us in the future to provide you another chance to show you are great customer service. Amanda Minnaert General Manager
rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

when we checked in we were greeted by a wonderful young man. Asked for extra pillows and brought them to us in five minutes. He is so polite. I hope he is still there next year because I enjoyed the stay so much that I'm coming back. Loved the hot breakfast, bacon and eggs are my kind of breakfast. the room was very fresh, clean and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was a cheap place to stay with indications at every turn. Only one staff person to check in a steady stream late afternoon. She tried hard, but it was obviously overwhelming. Had to go to the counter twice later on to request additional pillows as the ones on the bed are super-thin. Couldn't find anybody after ringing the bell several times, came back later and learned they didn't have any extra pillows. She did, however, improvise the best she could and provided a folded blanket. The fault wasn't hers, it is management for understaffing, having poor bedding and not enough.

Room was adequate and matched the cheap price.

Breakfast was a mess with way too many people trying to get through the small space. Big bottleneck was having only one waffle maker. The line was constant and it held up the too few tables that would otherwise clear for additional guests. Simple solution that, again, belongs to management. My wife was put off by the dry cereal dispensers identifying name brands with logos and box fronts (Honey Nut Cheerios) but actually dispensing poor quality generics. But, again, it was a cheap stay and this is what you get.

For the money, it's okay. Not worth paying more than $85 a night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I do sincerely apologize if your stay was not what you expected. We were not very busy and then out of no where we had 2 groups book and unfortunately I was not able to get as much additional staff in to assist as I would have liked. I was here on Saturday helping and had breakfast help on Sunday but more was needed. We will be hiring more staff for times like this. We also have started to remodel the hotel and we will be getting new linens, pillows and beds for our rooms. So you will see a better hotel with the changes that are coming. Our breakfast room gets very full when we are busy and I have ordered an additional waffle iron on Monday for busy times I am just waiting for it to arrive. Once again I do apologize that your stay was not what you expected. With comments from our guests is how we learn to improve and change. So I thank you for your comments. I hope that in the future you will provide us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport? Share your experiences!