“So NOT worth it!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 317 Restaurants in Cedar Rapids
“So NOT worth it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have a family of 6 pizza connoisseurs. I worked in the pizza restaurant industry many years and also make my own pizzas. We try pizza everywhere we go. We are still fairly new to this area and just getting out to the pizza places, so decided to try this place one night. The Detroit crust Mombo Combo is their most ordered item and specialty, so that is what we tried. For the cost of the pizza, ti should have been fully loaded with cheese and toppings. It was not. We were VERY disappointed. The crust is OK. The toppings were sparse. The sauce was a minor drizzle on top. Overall, it just was not a very well balanced or exceptionally tasty pizza pie. All six of my family members were in immediate agreement that we would not waste our taste buds by eating here again. Zoey's will remain our top favorite for the moment. However, I am told there is a good place on the SW side of CR called Leonardo's that we need to try next. Forver in search of pizza nirvana.......

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Go for the Detroit Crust”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a regular take out stop for us and arguably some of the best pizza in town.

This is a local effort,with the Center Point Rd and 32nd St location being the anchor. The place started just as a guy making pizzas on his own,and grew from there. They have locations in Hiawatha and Marion as well, any references to Edgewood Rd or the SE side are outdated. Most of my comments apply to the CP&32nd St location.

The pizza is fresh made, dough from scratch, and ingredients first rate. Expect. A pizza to take. 30 to 60min and cost $20+, but both the cost and wait are worth it.

We prefer takeout,only because of the wait and the place being small, loud, and hot.

Very good thin crust, even better Detroit crust, Chicago Deep Dish is OK, but go to Zoeys for that. Detroit crust is their name for a medium thick crust with no lip at the edge, so the cheese caramelizes a bit, the sauce is also served on top. Try the Mombo Combo or the Garden. They do not cut the Detroit or the Chicago style if it is to go unless asked. (Expect a soggy crust if you have them cut it)

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Merida, Mexico
“Our only pizza place in CR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Best ingredients, hands down. I'm from Chicago and this place is the real deal. Get the Mombo Combo. I usually get the thin crust but you really gotta try the Detroit once in a while.

Visited January 2013
“Best Pizza Ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I frequently go to the Tomaso's Pizza on Center Pt Rd. This is the one closer into town, not the one farther out, although that is great too.
It does not have ample seating, but that is the charm of the place so get there early to find a place to sit. The pizza is excellent. I like both the Detroit and the thin crust. It is more expensive than other pizza in town, but nice to splurge every once and awhile. The only down point is I leave smelling of grease on my clothes so never wear any of your favorite clothing. I guess the air filter system isn't the best. However, the pizza and service has always been good!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Lousy atmosphere;great pizza;occasional inattentive service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Because the pizza is among the best in town, the business is primarily take out and the absentee owner, service and cordial treatment by youthful staff is lacking. In spite of expense, week-end nights are a hassle,pizza often not ready when suggested, and dreary atmosphere, Tomaso's clearly beats out all chains and most independent pizzaria offerings in town. Detroit Mumbo combe is our favorite!!

• Visited November 2012