“Atrocious, Unprofessional , Incompetent, and Rude...That is only the beginning!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mainstay Suites Cedar Rapids

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #30 of 36 hotels in Cedar Rapids
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

By far the worst customer service ever imaginable, and along with a management team that doesn't know the first thing about guest satisfaction. I noticed the first problem the day after arriving when we opened up the blinds to see a LARGE leak coming from the window, dripping on our gifts for Christmas. Problem was never resolved because the front desk person said "I don't know when the maintanence guy will be back, sorry." He did show up 2 days later when we were checking out. Secondly, the day after checking in I noticed that my bank card was charged 3 times (over $400 more) the amount it should have been. When I told the front desk she said she made an error, and had to charge my card multiple times to resolve the issue, that doesn't quite make sense. I asked to speak to the manager and she said "I only work at night I don't know when she works" Lastly, when I presented this same problem to the next front desk person, she looked at me and said "I wasn't trained right, and I have no idea what I am doing, while being rude and almost in tears. It is now 2 days after checking out and I still have yet to be refunded my money. Save your time, and MONEY and never ever ever stay at this hotel. You will be treated second rate, and may be charged more than you should be. DONT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
mgrasso
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

This hotel mischarged my debit card by $705.00!!! I have not recieved 1 apology and I am still trying to get my money credited. The manager has refused to call me back or correct this in a timely manner. I have contacted the corporate office 5 times and the hotel to many times to count. I would not stay with this hotel again! Sloppy bookkeeping and the managers inability to ADMIT THEIR MIISTAKES makes for poor customer service!! Consumers beware!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Midwest USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

The Mainstay is a good affordable option for travelers. The hotel is new, decorated nicely and feels warm when you enter the mains door.
Even though the rooms are suites, our room looked and felt institutional. I felt like I was staying in a hospital suite. The bed was kind of hard and I didn't sleep real well.

I would recommend that the hotel make the suites a little more homey, especially the kitchen and bathroom.

The rooms all seem to have their own kitchens, so you can cook on a stove, and there's a larger fridge and microwave.

The breakfast was very good, make your own waffles, hard boiled eggs, cereal, toast, juice, donuts, fruit.
I would recommend this place to a business traveler or people who need a place to stay for a night. It is a good value for the money overall, but it's not the Ritz Carlton.

• Liked — That it was a nice new place in a good location
  • Disliked — Institutional feeling of the room, hard bed
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

I'm a business traveler and have spent the past year at hotels in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This was by far the worst experience I've had. To start off, I got to my Non-Smoking room, walked in, and immediately smelled smoke. I also noticed the room was extremely damp and musty smelling even thought the air conditioning was on. The sheets and pillowcases were also stained with who knows what. I stayed in this room for a couple nights until I went to bed on the last night and had a cricket jump across my bed. I also had found numerous other bugs coming in my room near the windows. I complained at the front desk where they didn't apologize for the smell or the bugs. They didn't seem surprised at all. They put me in a new room that didn't smell as bad, but it was still really musty. This room also had sheets and pillowcases with huge stains on them, so the first room was not an isolated case of a bad set of sheets. By the end of the week, I had contacted my employer and told them to find me a new place. I got home to find that everything I had brought with me and left in the room was reeking of smoke and felt wet. I wouldn't recommend this place to my ex-girlfriend. By the way, for extended stays, they refuse to clean your room everyday. Please do not stay at this hotel! I suffered so you don't have to.

• Disliked — Stained sheets and pillows, Crickets jumping in my bed, Reeked like smoke
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sanford, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

Enjoyed my business stay at this hotel. Staff helpful and friendly. Room very clean. Lots of room. Quiet even though lots of families staying on the weekend. Would definitely stay there again. Great value with nice kitchen for small meals.
Helen H, North Carolina

• Liked — Suite with kitchen, living area and separate bedroom
  • Disliked — Parking lot fills up quickly
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Purcellville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2007

First the bad news -
The Mainstay advertised free high speed wireless internet, but the actual signal was almost impossible to receive, and when it was received, the signal was so weak, that many sites would time out. If your stay may require internet access, I would recommend finding a better hotel. I was unable to remote to my office workstation since the network connectivity was so poor. This was common with fellow coworkers in various rooms of the hotel.

the good news...
If you don't need reliable internet access, and are looking for a cheap place to stay for a while this hotel will suffice. the rooms were spacious, and had several amenities that a business traveler may need such as microwave, full size fridge, electric cooktop, plus a small living room area to relax.

the continental breakfast was adequate, not top of the line, but it was better than nothing. they did provide juices, waffles and some pastries.

i did not use the pool or fitness room so i have no opinion on those.

• Liked — spacious room
  • Disliked — poor network connectivity
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

My family arrived at the Mainstay Suites in Cedar Falls for the weekend wedding of my niece. (In all, at least 7 suites were rented by members of my family...other wedding guests may also have planned to stayed there.) My husband, fifteen-yr.-old son, and I were the first to arrive. We thought it was unusual that the ironing board and iron were still set up in the sofa/TV area opposite the entry door to our suite when we first entered, but as we unloaded our wedding clothes from their traveling bags, we noticed a "sweaty" smell coming from the 2 pillows on the closet shelf. We looked more closely and found there was hair clustered in the bathtub/shower drain and an unwrapped bar of used soap next to the bathroom sink. The bathroom counter had not been wiped and had rings of residue on it. There was also a piece of pizza crust on the "living room" floor between the sofa and the kitchen area. My husband immediately called the front desk, to let the staff know and was given the reply, "your room was only 'freshened' today." He had to explain a second time to the front desk staff that we had just checked in during the last 15 minutes and that we expected a "clean room". The front desk personnel finally seemed to grasp what we were saying, and said someone would be up soon with a key to a different room. (While we waited for the staff member to arrive, we checked the bed. The linens had not been changed and were badly wrinkled and contained body hairs from use. We were disgusted, but did not want to leave the motel because of the family that was planning to gather there for the weekend wedding.) We accepted the key to a nearby room and proceeded to move our own things. We thought there had probably been an unfortunate mistake, and since our second room seemed to be clean enough we were willing to forgive the situation. You can imagine our shock later that evening as we visited with other family members and found out that the same "dirty" conditions had been experienced by two other groups of guests from our family. One of these accepted a move to another room, which was clean, but the other "dirty" room had been given to my 82 and 87-year-old parents. They had unloaded their belongings before any of us had a chance to speak to them. (There were dirty dishes in their kitchen sink, food in their refrigerator/freezer, soiled linens on their bed and the tub/shower, sink, and counter had not been cleaned.) Family members immediately notified the front desk and the offer was made to allow them to move to another room. This was not acceptable, since my parents needed to change from their traveling clothes and prepare to attend the rehearsal dinner. My adult daughter and I stayed in my parents' room to wait for a cleaning staff person to come and clean my parents' room, while the other members of our family went to the rehearsal. A member of the front desk personnel came to the room with a bottle of spray cleaner and a rag. He went into the bathroom and cleaned it with the supplies he brought with him. We reminded him of the dirty dishes in the kitchen sink and the soiled bed linens. He wiped the kitchen counter and placed the dishes in the dishwasher and said he would return with clean linens. He did return and changed the bedding. Then, holding the dirty linens, he asked if there was anything else we needed. We said, "No," and thanked him for taking care of things. He never made any apologies or explanations. The next day, we woke to pouring rain, and a major leak of water from the window directly above the glass in the bedroom.of our suite. We were given the "cleaning crew's rags" to soak up the water when they came to "freshen" our room for the day and one of the cleaners returned in a short time with some more small towels. The front desk personnel offered to let us move to another room, but we refused the offer because of the time it would take during the wedding day schedule. The front desk manager called later and apologized for the inconvenience and said that our room fee would be altered to reflect the inconvenience we were caused during our stay. Our bill did not reflect this.

Stayed June 2006

Been to Mainstay Suites Cedar Rapids? Share your experiences!