You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4444 Czech Lane NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
California
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We arrived at the hotel mid-afternoon. Parking lot was filty with trash, cigarette butts, and needing a good washing. Looks like no one takes pride in the place, The staff was basically lazy!! Employees sitting in the lobby is not a good sign. If we could have moved hotels we would have, but the area was full due to a big football game in Iowa City. Next visit to Cedar Rapids we will not stay there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

I am an active duty military traveler and generally stay with another brand, who during my week long stay in Cedar Rapids was not available. The Hawthorn was suggested to me by a coworker.

I found the front desk personnel very friendly and knowledgable of the surrounding area. I also liked that I was able to buy beer right at the front desk for my small refrigerator in the room. Very nice touch for the traveler who just spent the better part of the day getting to Cedar Rapids. Breakfasts and the dinners were well done, but on par with typical hotel food that is done for free at various extended stay types of hotels.

If I had a complaint with my room , it was the mysterious cigarette smell that came from my bathroom during the evening hours that drove me crazy. I placed a couple calls to the front desk to complain and we diagnosed it to the bathroom fan/vent. Somewhere someone was sneaking a cigarette (non-smoking hotel) during the evenings using their bathroom fan/vent to exhaust their smoke. The culprit was never found. My solution? Close the bathroom door and run my fan to push the smoke out.

The wireless internet in the hotel was ok, but not great. They have several hubs to wirelessly connect to, but I found that they were all just weak enough to give me headaches with staying connected. When it worked, it worked well.

To close, I would also say the beds were fantastic and I slept very soundly each night of my stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at the Hawthorn Suites after a wedding in Cedar Rapids. The rooms very large, comfortable and provided all the services expected at most hotels these days (free wifi, pet friendly, 24 hour pool, continental breakfast, etc). The beds were wonderful and the decor of the hotel was quite updated (except for flat screen tv's). I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable and central location in Cedar Rapids.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
South Eastern WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Wonderful hotel! Does not charge extra for pets. Continental breakfast was very good. A/C was already on when we entered our room, so no stuffy feeling. Very comfortable beds.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Cleanliness, a comfortable bed and good pillows are the key to a good stay to me. Someone in the hotel room above mine was stomping around all evening which was annoying, but I won't let that stop me from staying here again, hopefully that was an unusual occurence. Rooms have a large desk, refrigerator, microwave (with complimentary popcorn) and a seating area. Complimentary breakfast buffet has lots of options and is very tasty.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Rockford, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

Our family of four stayed in mid-July. A newer hotel that was clean and nice. We had a suite room, which I think is standard there. It was a bit small but ok. The pool was nice and clean. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2005
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2004

My family and I stayed at the Cedar Rapids Hawthorn Suites LTD for three nights and had a pleasant experience. This is a Hawthorn Suites "LTD", which basically seems to mean that you get full maid service every other day unless you ask.

The hotel is located in a sea of auto dealerships just off I-380. Our room faced the highway, but noise was not a problem. There is also an adjacent railroad. In three days, I heard only two trains go past, but they do rumble by and blow their whistles.

The property was clean and inviting. Our room was nicely appointed: we had a one bedroom suite, which includes a sofabed, a TV in each room, and a kitchen with a fridge/freezer, two-burner cooktop, sink, 10-cup coffeemaker, dishwasher, and microwave. The TVs received a full Basic cable slate of about 50 channels, plus HBO. The "living room" TV also had a VCR. While I didn't see a two-bedroom suite, I understand they have fireplaces.

With your room you get breakfast every morning, and Monday through Thursday evenings they offered what they called a "Manager's Reception," but was really more of a light supper. Breakfasts offered a variety of hot and cold offerings, including eggs, breakfast burritos, sausage, bacon, hash browns, oatmeal, various cold cereals, breads and bagels, juices, make-your-own-waffles, and coffee. There was always a big bowl of canned peaches, but no fresh fruit.

We only had one Manager's Reception during our stay. They offered chicken stir fry, with rice and some little egg rolls, and post-mix soda and wine and beer to drink. Quality of both breakfast and supper were about on par with what I remember from my college dining hall: certainly nothing to get excited about, and not restaurant quality. However, the savings for this family of four was significant. According to the calendar in our room, every Monday night is (Pappa John's) pizza night.

There is a pleasant little indoor pool that our children enjoyed, and a hot tub.

The staff were exceptionally friendly, and very helpful.

We had a few small nits to pick: we did cook in our kitchenette, and while there was some dish liquid, there was no dishwasher detergent, sponge, or kitchen/paper towels for cleaning (staff did happily find some for us). And, it always bugs me when I reserve a room for four people in advance, and the room is clearly not ready for all of us. There were not enough bath towels, and the sofa bed was not made. Again, the front desk happily sent up the sheets and towels, but it seems as if that should be ready if I have reserved weeks ahead of time.

Overall, however, a pleasant experience. Recommended for families looking to save a few bucks.

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North? Share your experiences!