“Property great - staff - not so much” 2 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save Big
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Property great - staff - not so much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I hate to give a negative review of this property as it is very nice and clean with comfortable accommodations and a great b-fast in the morning, but I feel like the staff gets a major ding for the way our stay turned out.

My 17 year old and I were on a week-long tour of the midwest and Cedar Rapids was our next-to-last stop. I pre-requested a quiet room in a quiet location of the hotel because I knew the kiddo and I would both be exhausted. Upon check-in, we were told we were on the 4th floor. I was hesitant at first since we had a lot of luggage to drag in, but the staff member checking us in said that the 4th floor would be worth it since it would be quiet. "We're pretty light tonight' the man told us, so I guessed the 4th floor was his way of isolating us a bit to keep the area around us quiet. I was wrong.

Around 11:30pm, the room next to us filled with very noisy guests. They proceeded to shout and laugh and talk very loudly for the next 30 mins straight. I decided that they were just settling in, so I put the noise canceling headphones on and tried to sleep. The headphones fell off around 2:00 am - people next door - STILL very loud. Put headphones on again. They fell off around 3:00 am - people next door - STILL carrying on and very loud. I finally called down to the front desk and complained. The staff person said they would call up the people next to us and ask them to calm down. As far as I can tell, the people were calmed because when I stirred at 6:30 or so, it was quiet.

I am so angry that despite our schlepping all of our stuff up to the 4th floor, and despite the "light" number of occupants they apparently had, someone still found it reasonable to check a group of people in next to us. If they were already there, we should not have been placed next to them. If we were first, then they should have found another place to check people in. It was not cool to check in a group next to people whom have clearly pre-requested a QUIET room in which to get some much-needed sleep.

Horrible night, horrible experience.

Room Tip: I'd say request a quiet room, but I did that and was kept awake all night long.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JeanneCedarRapids, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our property. I am very happy that you found it clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed the breakfast. I do apologize for the guests that kept you awake that night. The fourth floor is most often our quiet floor because there is no chance of noise coming from above you. We unfortunately cannot always predict how guests are going to act when they check in. If we are suspect that a group will be loud during the evening we assign their rooms very near to the lobby. I am glad that my desk was able to quiet down the guests when you reported them. Again I am very sorry that they kept you awake.

Jeanne Cole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is very clean. It has a full kitchen with a full size fridge, a living room area with sleeper sofa and two beds in the bedroom. The sink is in a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom. The management of this hotel is very friendly and courteous. It is located in a group of other hotels close to the highway.

Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed in Cedar Rapids on our way to Minnesota. Great hotel with large rooms, great breakfast and microwavable popcorn in the room. But a must have is internet access...very disappointed with the slow and unreliable connection. Spoke to staff and they were working on it, but for a biz hotel, this is a "must be reliable" feauture.

I'd still stay here again, but urge the Homewood team to get if fixed faster.

Katy, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

One of the nicest motel I've stayed in; and the price was right. Friendly staff; everything in the room was upgraded. Loved the dishes/utensils; full size fridge/dishwasher; and the fluffy bed.
My 15y.o.slept on the sofa sleeper; the blankets and pillows were nice and fluffy; he slept well.
Only wished they had a bigger pool. Free hot breakfast too.

Room Tip: Dinners free Monday to Friday
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This was the last of the 8 hotels that we stayed in on a road trip and was better than all but one of the previous hotels. The bed was comfy, everything was clean, and the staff was friendly. The shower was great, water pressure was strong and it drained well. It was the only hotel on our trip where there was a decent hair dryer which was much appreciated.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

While attending a family wedding in town, we stayed at

Homewood Suites. The suite was lovely and the public areas of the hotel were immaculate. Breakfast was convenient and tasty. Every staff member greeted us in the hallways, on the elevator etc. The location was handy to all of the activities over the course of the weekend. I will certainly stay here again when in Cedar Rapids.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

If you're traveling to Cedar Rapids, be sure to check out this property. Free breakfasts and dinners (including wine) added to the convenience. Staff was friendly, I enjoyed talking to the sales manager, Sara, during breakfast. The desk staff knew my name by the second day. I The room was spacious (it was a handicapped room) and comfortable. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Cedar Rapids North? Share your experiences!