“Great place for meetings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn University Plaza

You added Clarion Inn University Plaza to your Saves list
Clarion Inn University Plaza
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5826 University Ave, Building #1, Cedar Falls, IA 50613 (Formerly Holiday Inn Cedar Falls - University Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Cedar Falls
Waterloo, Iowa
“Great place for meetings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We held our Artists' PAWS for a Cause fundraiser here in October 2012. They did a wonderful job accomodating us with an overflow crowd. Everyone enjoyed the food and drinks. This year will be even better for them with new renovations including a new restaurant "Against the Grain". Check it out when you have a chance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sarah E, Manager at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed hosting Artists' PAWS for a Cause with us as we enjoyed having you here! Please join us at Against The Grain for our Wine & Tunes Event on Thurs. March 28 for drink specials, 1/2 price appetizers and free entertainment! Thank you again for your business and we look forward to working with you in the future!

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Normal, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Recently booked this hotel online and was unpleasantly surprized by this hotel. Our room was extremely small. We requested a crib for our baby, but there was nowhere in the room to put it. The decor was very dated and the room didn't smell clean. To top it off, we were awakened by a malfunctioning fire alarm going off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sarah E, Manager at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I apologize that you had an unpleasant stay with us. We strive to make all guests happy and comfortable and are disappointed when that doesn't happen. I have passed your concerns to our housekeeping staff so we can take care of any musty smell in the room. I'm so sorry the alarm system malfunctioned during your visit; the problem has been fixed. We are making improvements to the hotel throughout 2013 and hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review Clarion; all feedback is appreciated!

Omaha
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The rooms are centered around an indoor pool. If the smell of way too much chlorine is what you like then this is the place for you! It was nauseating. There is no elevator, which is do-able if you packed light. I was there with a soccer group so I had no choice in where we logded. On the weekends beware....they had a banquet going on and people just left their cars in the middle of the parking lot because there were not enough places to park. I had to park at a restaurant nearby and walk through blowing snow to get to the hotel. When I called the front desk to vent my frustration the gal was at a loss to what she could do for me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah E, Manager at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that the smell of chlorine was overwhelming for you and that there wasn't ample parking. We do appreciate all of your feedback so we know where we can improve. We will be using your review as an example in upcoming staff training so that our employees can better understand how their actions can impact the guest experience. We will be making improvements to the hotel in 2013 and hope you will check them out and stay with us again!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Upon checking in I was treated like family! Tom was awesome and made sure I received the best in customer service! I was happy with my cozy room and slept amazing! I have stayed several times for an extended period of time and do sleep much better in these beds and pillows than my own!

I was not as impressed with the front desk when Tom left for vacation and did not receive the same wonderful, warm service with the clerk. When I found out she was the front desk manager I was very disappointed that she did not share the same "can do" attitude. I did however, give her benefit of the doubt and she has started coming around being more warm and friendly. I am still happy that Tom is back!

Mary in the restaurant is amazing and always goes the extra mile! Mel in the bar greets me with a smile and amazing service!

Overall this place is filled with a great staff and clean, comfy beds! Great job!

• Stayed January 2013
Sarah E, Manager at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review! We are very happy to know you have been treated so well by Tom, Mary and Mel and I will be sure to pass on your kind words. We strive to have all employees extend our gratitude for your business so I thank you for giving our Guest Service Manager a chance to come around. We are so happy to have you stay with us!

Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel was VERY dated...old stained walls, old carpet, old smell. Updates have been attempted but not enough to make a better impression for me. Very conveniently located and reasonably priced but if you are looking for a newer type hotel with a little more charm dont stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah E, Manager at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are currently working on updating and remodeling our property and was glad to hear you did see some effort! So far we have added flat screen TV's, new sheets, duvets, curtains and marble counter tops to the guest rooms. We've remodeled our lounge, Against the Grain and now have live entertainment at least once a month. Coming in 2013 we will be remodeling our front desk and banquet facilities as well as getting new carpet throughout the building! We hope you will choice Clarion when you visit Cedar Falls!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights this week at the Clarion. I travel quite a bit for work and getting sleep the first night in a hotel room, is very challenging. Not this time. I slept like a baby. Staff is very nice. There is a nice bar and lounge inside the hotel. Very elegant and very inexpensive drinks. There are a lot of dining options walking distance from the hotel. All the chain restaurants are there. Incredible! Great location!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for your review! I am so happy to know you get a good night's sleep when you stay with us; it's very important to know our guests are comfortable! We will be hosting our monthly Wine & Tunes Event on Thursday February 28th from 5:30pm to 7:30pm; please join us if you will be back in town.

New London, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, the hotel layout was very similar to another Clarion I had stayed at in the past. The staff were friendly & helpful. The room was ok, had a little musty smell to it but other then that it was fine. The bed was decent. I was a little disappointed that the Jets in the hot tub were not that great & when I was down their they had no towels available to dry off with both nights.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am happy to hear you were pleased with the service of our staff. Please accept my apology for not having any pool towels available; going forward we will have our night staff wash towels when needed. We will be remodeling throughout 2013 and hope you will visit us again!

Manager

Been to Clarion Inn University Plaza? Share your experiences!