“Some Good, Much Bad” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Chicago, Illinois
“Some Good, Much Bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I would like to start by saying that the Marriott brand is my favorite chain of hotels. We stay in hotels approximately 30 nights a year, so I have definite favorites. This hotel in particular does not live up to the Marriott standards.

First, the good. Really nice front desk woman at check in, nice lobby, decent breakfast, surprisingly good coffee, and they have comfortable beds, even though the sheets pop off.(I hate that)

Now, some of the bad. Our first room was on the first floor, after requesting 6 months in advance for a high floor (there are only 3 floors) away from the elevator. It was 9:00 and I was told they were full and that this room was the last one. I accepted it and moved on.

We unpacked and got ready for bed, when at 10:30 I went into the bathroom and almost wiped out on the large puddle of water that had appeared. I couldn't understand where it came from until I saw water running down from a hole in the ceiling which had mold all around it. We were later told that the drain line in the room above us was leaking and that the occupant upstairs had just taken a shower. Someone at the hotel had to know about this, since it was apparent by the damage to the ceiling that it had been going on for a while. And I thought the peeling wallpaper was bad.

We were moved to a high floor away from the elevator. Huh?

This room also had peeling wallpaper, and had an absolutely gross, dirty, stained tub, with a dirty shower liner that was so long we had no choice but to stand on it while taking a shower. We would have moved, but after a look online, saw that every other acceptable hotel in town was full.

Also, our keys seemed to be good for one use, and then had to be reactivated. We took a number of trips to the lobby, but the one time the general manager was working the desk. We had to wait 5 minutes, listening to his private phone call before he helped us. He did apologize. Who do you complain to when it's the manager doing this?

We stayed in this hotel last year, and didn't like it then, but I kept reading on here about the renovations. Don't believe it. The elevator is still gross, the bathrooms are still gross, the carpet in the halls is still terrible, and the tile going into the pool area is still filthy. The only thing we did notice was that the stairwells seemed to have new paint, which the dripped paint all over the carpeting proved.

The general manager should take a tour through each and every room in this hotel and ask himself if he would rent these rooms for him and his family. I don't think so.

My review ratings are averaged to take into account the good along with the bad.

Needless to say, I should have remembered my vow to not stay here again after last year. We will for sure not stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Burlington, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I also want to thank you for calling me out on a mistake made. I should always remember our guest first, there surly is no excuse for bad judgment when it comes to guest service. I actually do go through our rooms every day before they are rented. We are almost done replacing the entire bathroom in all guest rooms, this part of the renovation will be done by 06-11-13. The full room renovation will be done shortly after. I am deeply troubled that you will not return, please feel free to call me and let us see if we can make this right for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bettendorf, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel is being rejuvenated, paint ,carpet, tile, pool has been completely remodeled, will be very nice the the work is done. Friendly staff, great place for a quiet nights sleep. Would give this place a 5 when all the work is done

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Burlington, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for the kind comments. We are working our way through this rejuvenation; the finished product is going to be amazing. Fortunately we have stopped all of the construction till October so we do not disappoint the leisure traveler over the summer. My team and I look forward to serving you the next time you come to Burlington.
Ellettsville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here as a stop on our trip to Iowa. Would give it an average rating. They were in the process of refurbishing which made for dusty halls and more foot traffic than normal. room was clean, staff was attentive. Breakfast nothing special, but more than just the typical Continental breakfast. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Burlington, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments. No matter what is happening with the hotel the staffs main goal is to always give you a room that is clean and fresh and reflects the highest quality standards. Because of this promise it does force use to update the hotel every so often. I do hope you will come back and see the end results.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is our second visit, of multiply days each stay as a family, along with individual stays for business and we'll definitely be back! When traveling we always look for hotels that pride themselves on providing clean rooms ie no dust or sticky ?, nothing left behind on carpet or flooring, mirrors you can actually see yourself, clean bathroom, supplies readily available and replenished, you will find all this at Fairfield Inn Burlington. We have repeatedly experienced friendly willing helpful staff both on the phone and in person! Add a cozy couch lobby and large well stocked breakfast area with plenty of fresh breakfast choices and beverages throughout the day, what more does a traveler need? Well, a large heated indoor pool, exercise room, plenty of parking with many different restaurants nearby and entertainment across the street makes this hotel convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Burlington, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for the kind words the team we have here at the Fairfield Inn and Suites just thrives on hearing from our guest. This team is hospitality driven and takes everyone’s stay to heart. We hope to see you again soon.
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here during Christmas vacation and we were plesantly surprised that the hotel was so clean and well taken care of. The room had two double beds and you can request to have the sheets changes during your multi-day stay. The bathroom was clean and the shower water pressure was great. The water was powerful and got hot really quick. There is a coffee maker in the room and extra blankets. There is free breakfast too..fruit, cold cereal, oatmeal, hot chocolate, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, waffles made to order, bagels, muffins....... All good and fresh. Because this is. Marriott property, we found that this is the best hotel in Burlington. There is an indoor swimming pool and exercise room with a couple of treadmills and a eliptical machine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
FFIBRLFIGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn Burlington, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. The staff and I were so excited to read your feedback about your recent stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful review! We look forward to having you come see us again! I always enjoy reading guest comments
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend while my husband was on military orders. The night front desk guy was very rude and wanted to know what my husbands official orders were for. That is and was NONE of his business! My hubby had proper military id and paperwork so the third degree from the front night desk guy was not needed or appreciated, we had already driven 7 hours to get there that night. Anyway, getting to our room now, we were horrified to walk into a very smelly musty room. We have stayed at over 12 different Marriott's over the last 1 1/2 years and this was the dirtiest and smelliest by far. We also had a problem with the sink in the bathroom not draining properly. We called the front desk about this problem but apparently they could not find anyone to fix this problem as no one ever showed up to fix it. On the plus side the beds were very comfy. This hotel could use some serious updating and some customer service help.

• Stayed September 2012
FFIBRLFIGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn Burlington, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for telling us about your experience during your stay with us. I can assure you rudeness is not tolerated on my property. As for the smell in the hotel we sure have had some opportunities this past year with the nonstop running of the air-conditioning. I believe we have fixed the problem over the past few weeks. I am sure happy that you found the beds nice and comfortable. Thank you for your candid comments.
Quincy, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Very nice place and they are renovating soon. Seeing they are renovating this hotel is currently the worse it has ever been, the new one is going to be really awsome! Great friendly people and very clean rooms and they really want to work with you to give you what ever you need. Asked at the desk about pizza places they were very helpful and gave us suggestions and a coupon for 10% off! I am staying here a week and this is the next best place to home! Right across the street from Fun City & a Casino, if you are into that, I am not. Lots of eating places in walking distance. Unlike most of the Marriott chain of hotels this one has at least one room with a whirlpool tub because I stayed in it. And not one of the bathtub conversions, but this one is in the main room next to the king size bed and the tub is big enough for two! Even the high end Marriott hotels do not have room hot tubs. What a surprise for a Fairfield in the small city of Burlington.

Room Tip: Ask what discounts are available. They will help you out. Very good people.