“More like Fun City from Hell” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 10 Attractions in Burlington
Type: Game/ Entertainment Centers, Amusement
More attraction details
Owner description: FunCity features many attractions for the whole family to enjoy. Many vacation resorts say they offer something for all ages but at FunCity we've packed in more FUN for EVERYONE! The kids will love our over 100 interactive arcade games, kiddie go-carts and multi-level laser tag arena while you relax in our 22 person hot tub or take the plunge down Koozmickie Falls! FunCity's got it all!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“More like Fun City from Hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went to the Pzazz with my mother, grandmother, aunt and my aunt's children. The outdoor waterpark was closed due to the snow and cold weather but I was kinda glad that it was because the inside one looked horrible. Upon entry you walk into a large arcade with many games and simulation rides. However one game got pretty annoying as the purpose of the game was to pop a large balloon which caused the loudest noise in the arcade.

I had the worst time there as it started off with Go Karts. In the Go-Kart raceway, you are not allowed to bump into other players, however there was one kid on the raceway that always did the opposite. He not only wrecked 3 times trying to put others into the wall, but when was next to the kid who was probably 14, cut me off at the hair pin turn and caused a 4 car pileup. The wreck gave me whiplash as I was hit from behind by my mother going full speed and was unable to stop due to the brakes not working on her kart.

Bowling was over priced and I managed to slip many times trying to bowl as were a lot of other people were slipping where there was no wax to slip on. The first night was also league night which last 4 hours and by that time everything else was already done.

Their laser tag arena looked really cheap and lame, it honestly looked like a failed Hollywood set with a ton of UV reactant paint making weird designs.

The indoor waterpark was by far the worst indoor waterpark i have ever seen. Upon first entry it's humid and hot and sticky in there, as there is zero air circulation through the entire area. There are three different pool areas; the kiddie play park, the water slide pool and the hot tub. There were only two lame slides one being body and the other being a tube slide, which getting up to the slides is the hard part, since the steps hurt your feet with every step you take. Also the hot tub was filled with chlorine which hurt your eyes and mold was in every part of that faux rock wall.

The hotel at the Pzazz was the worst from the whole event. FIrst off the rooms are small for the price that you pay. Each room comes with a mini fridge and if your lucky either a electronic microwave or one of those manual microwaves. The entry cards they gave us didn't work so we had to constantly ask for more, maintenance had to come to fix our a/c unit since it didn't make any hot air, and when it did the heater made the heat unbearable to stand.

I think with all the money that the place makes, they should really start to instead of getting new arcade games, make the bedrooms that people stay in for $122 per night need major upgrades for both the A/C unit as well as other amenities.

Visited March 2013
PzazzEntertainment, Guest Relations Manager at FunCity, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! I hope your entire experience wasn't as terrible as it sounds!

I want to apologize for your unpleasant experience in our facility.

The indoor water park is truly a much smaller option compared to our outdoor park. I hope that you and your family come back to experience what we have to offer in our outdoor portion of Huck's Harbor.

We do our best to control bumping in the go cart track. It can be difficult to police the area especially when we are busy. Nonetheless it is no excuse and we will continue to get better at minimizing the inappropriate actions of other guests.

Our bowling alley prices have changed so be sure you check them out on our website. I'm not sure what was causing the floor to be slippery, but I will be sure to notify the bowling alley and they will investigate that further.

Every hotel room has a mini fridge and microwave that is available for you to use at your convenience. We do our best to keep those rooms up to date with appliances that work appropriately. I'm not sure what the issue with the key cards was, but I can understand how that would be frustrating. I'm glad maintenance was able to fix your ac unit! Those are very powerful units equipped with a dial thermostat that allows you to control how warm/cool your room is. Whether that was functioning or not, I do not know.

I'm so sorry you had so many negative experiences. I hope you come visit again and if you have any trouble be sure to let us know immediately so we can correct any additional issues!

Davenport, Iowa
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We visited Pzazz/Catfish Bend for our anniversary. The outdoor waterpark was obviously closed as it is still winter. We did not visit the indoor waterpark; we did walk up to it and glance around and it simply looked kid based. So we skipped it. The arcade was sorta cool, we played a few games and visited one of the two simulators they have, the Cosmic Roller Coaster simulation was very cool; on the second day we stood in front of the smaller of the two simulators waiting for an attendent for ten minutes while she sent kids through the gyro thing (next to the simulators) my wife asked another employee to assist us only to be told that he had to do something with the laser tag, only to return later with a coffee and no intent on helping us. When the young lady at the gyro finished she walked between my wife and I to another group waiting on the other simulator started their "ride" then told us that we would have to wait till they were done because she couldn't run both at the same time. We had been waiting long before the other group walked up. This one instance didn't ruin the trip; teenage employees tend to leave a little to be desired; I employee a few high school kids in a similar industry and you take the good with the bad.

The bowling alley looked very good but we ran out of time before we could give it a shot.

Visited March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! I apologize for the lack of customer service you experienced in the arcade. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves otherwise. I will forward this review on to the arcade manager so that he is aware this situation took place. Its important to us that you have a great experience and hopefully we will see you again soon!

Washington, Illinois
“I think Mold City would be more appropriate...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just spent the weekend at Fun City, and although my kids had a good time, as a parent I spent the entire weekend worried that my child was going to either a) get hurt or b) get sick. Upon our arrival, it looked like it would be a fun place to visit, and the staff seemed quite friendly. Once we got into the pool, however, that changed. Every surface in the pool area that was not covered by water was covered with mold. From the little grooves on the stairs, to the handrails and rock surrounding the pool, there was definitely no shortage of mold to be found. My 2 year old son kept getting his toe stuck in a small opening between the play structure and the slide, and the place he'd hurt himself was evident by the black smear that was left on his toes where they had come in direct contact with a moldy surface. Add to that the duct tape holding the water pipes onto the water slides, the experience was interesting at best. To sum it up with one word, the pool was beyond disgusting.

Then we went to dinner. We walk into the Bugaloo Cafe, only to be told they weren't seating groups tonight (on a Saturday??) because they had too many large reservations. We told them we would take two separate tables, and after some sighing and eye rolling, we were seated so that we could enjoy a nice cold pizza provided to us by our non-existent waitress.

If you find yourself here and want to have fun, stick to the arcade. It was truly the only clean part of our entire experience.

Visited February 2013
PzazzEntertainment, Guest Relations Manager at FunCity, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review!

Your stay sounds like it was dreadful! I'm so very sorry for that! Rest assured I will forward your cleanliness worries to our housekeeping staff so we may look into it and correct it immediately.

I also want to apologize for the way you were treated at Boogaloo Cafe. It is a very hot spot to eat here in Burlington and sometimes it may be difficult to seat larger groups without a wait time. However, any appalling behavior from our staff, or cold pizza is unacceptable!

We are very glad you enjoyed the arcade! Its a great place to be a kid! Whether you are a child or not!

Please, if you would like to speak about your experience further I would love to hear from you!

Thanks again,
Wentzville, Missouri, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Some good and some bad....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed for one night on 2/15 at the Pzazz. While there we used a lot of the different attractions at FunCity. Here are some specifics.

Bowling-was great. While we were there, they did black lights, which my kids loved
Arcade Area-typical arcade games. Several were not working, but there were enough for my kids to enjoy
Food-We initially tried to get into the buffet for dinner, but the wait for the buffet was over an hour. (It was a holiday weekend, so I'm sure busier than normal, but with 2 little kids we weren't going to wait). We went to Boogaloos and the wait to get in was about 25 minutes. Once seated, however, it took AN HOUR AND A HALF to get our food. The food itself was good, but the wait was ridiculous. The restaurant was doing a party in the adjoining room, and I think that they were only focusing on the 40 or so guests over there rather than those of us in the regular restaurant. For breakfast we went back to the buffet and it was not very good. There was a decent selection of items, but the only hot breakfast item besides eggs was French toast sticks, and they were completely inedible. It was not worth the price.

Hucks Harbor-Let me begin by saying we took my kids here 2 years ago, and it has gone down hill significantly since that time. There is rust all over the equipment and the ceiling. It actually looked like the ceiling might fall in at some point. It is in need of a serious overhaul or it eventually will be unsafe/unhealthy. That being said, my kids enjoyed the water play area and waterslides (2). There also is a large hot tub and rock climbing wall. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall, my kids had a good time, but there are a number of things that the attraction will need to change/update in the near future or they will start to see guests who have not had a good experience.

Visited February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review!

I'm very sorry the Boogaloo Cafe waitstaff did not appear to care for your needs as a diner. That is very disappointing for us, as much as I'm sure it is for you. Busy or not, it is not our intention to make people wait a long time to receive their food. We want you to have a memorable positive experience at all of our different attractions.

I will notify the housekeeping staff of your concern for any mold issues in the waterpark. We will do everything we can to make sure it remains a safe healthy environment to visit.

I hope you consider re-visiting our establishment! If you would like to discuss this further please give me a call!

Thank you!

Canton
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I love this place!!! great place to bond with family and it's cheap. plus there is alot of attractions around the area like snake alley about an hour away,, love the money system there you can upload money on a card and use it for the arcade and you can earn tickets to win great prizes

Visited July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your awesome review! We definitely appreciate you choosing to come here, and that you enjoy it enough to share your wonderful experience with your friends, family, and fellow reviewers here on TripAdvisor.com!