“January/February in S.East Iowa” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Oxford, United Kingdom
“January/February in S.East Iowa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

An extended stay along the Mississipi River in Iowa was absolutely worthy because of the availability of a wonderful stay at Howard Johnson Hotel during the wintry month of February. The helpful staff were cordial and allowed a stupendous affordable rate and all inclusive services at this wonderful hotel in Burlington which allowed me the time to travel across the three states and to know parts of Central North America better.
It is the season when the state of Iowa becomes a migratory path of some unique avian species generic to North America cross the Mid Western States seeking hunting grounds in the winter along the mighty river. What a spectacular time of the year it turned out to be which made my trip worth every moment to be able to witness the range of birds and photograph their habits. Who would ever get such a golden opportunity?
I am totally indebted to the qualified staff and management of the Howard Johnson Hotel who did all things necessary to make my extended stay there memorable. I cannot but have good words for a review as I would wish others to have a similar encounter in a hotel which I consider as one of the pride of Burlington at a rate which one is all too jolly happy about.
To my shocking amazement, I see some negative impressions by others and I really ought to suggest to hotel residents to find approachable ways to the hotel staff and management as they are indeed extremely helpful. As in my experiences, although being a foreigner here, I was served to the best of their ability and could not envision that any other person would be served utterly differently. I do not feel this does the maginficent hotel any justice.
My hat off to Danielle, Kate, Tanya, and Sam in particular - people whose names I carry in gratitude in my Diary for their tremendous support during my visit.
My stay was coupled by a wonderful experience of seeing American families spend time gathering together during such momentous events such as post-Christmas and celebrating and exchanging gifts with one another at a central meeting point in Burlington across the States as far and wide as Kentucky, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin. And indeed the people are as amicable as one could never have thought! A wonderful country and a wonderful people and equally wonderful Hotel in the Steppes of MidWestern America.

Room Tip: There are two main categories of rooms, those on the exterior and those in the inner courtyard. The...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful words about your stay at our hotel. I will be sure to let the named individuals know of your praises.

We look forward to having you as a guest at our hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Aledo, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

1st time we stayed last year the pool was freezing. Sent son to check it out before we booked and this time they had pool heater working but the courtyard thermostats were set on fifty nine. Didn't make for fun swimming we complained to the front desk and they said maintenance turned it up but the nineteen people in our party did not see anyone touch the thermostats so us and the other guests sat around with coats on. Everyone opened up their room doors an cranked up the heat. The bathrooms in the rooms left a little to be desired when it comes to cleanliness. Needless to say I will be calling their corporate office as I would think HoJo would expect more out of people who are representing their name. It is too bad because they have the perfect layout.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

First of all, notice that Danielle says the same comment over a several month span, "we have high standards for cleanliness". Clearly that is not the case. We had three rooms and they were all filthy. The sheets had stains all over them, and there was actually gummy bears under the top sheet. The refrigerator didn't work in one room. One room reaked like smoke. The receprionist st the front desk, Sam, was a hateful, rude little snot. There was urine on the floor around the toilet. I was afraid to let my child into the shower. Tonya was the ONLY positive of the experience, she was very friendly. After all of this was said and done, I found that I was charged a smoking fee of $250. The "proof" that they emailed me consisted of a cup with water and a cigarette butt that were in the garbage. These were from my brother's room, he went outside to smoke and instead of littering he put his cigarettes out in the cup and threw them in the garbage. I called and spoke to Danielle about my concerns with the charge and she assured me that she would email me the photos and call me back. I called her 4 times one day, she kept assuring me she hadn't forgot. The next morning I called again and got her voicemail. She finally sent me the email with their lack of proof late the next evening and stated that they will not negotiate the smoking fee. Did I mention that their printer was broken on check in and I never signed anything giving them permission to charge me?! Honestly the worst hotel experience I've ever encountered. Wish I would have read up on the reviews before staying.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Burlington? Share your experiences!