“My stay and party at Howard Johnson, Burlington Iowa” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Burlington, Iowa
“My stay and party at Howard Johnson, Burlington Iowa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This Hotel has been through many owners and has not had a very good reputation. I decided to give it a try for my daughters sweet 16 party due to my whole family coming from out of town, we wanted the rooms at the same place the party was. I worked with Katherine, the event coordinator for several months before the party. She was INCREDIBLE to work with. The room was awesome, she did everything she said she was going to do and more. The rooms were clean and prepared for us when my family arrived, and we were early. The employees from the front desk, to the bartender and housekeeping were so nice they were determined to make our stay perfect and they did. I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone from the rooms to the party rooms as well. Even the maitence man was determined to do whatever it took to help us out. It was such a different place than before, Im hoping others give the new owners and their staff a chance becuase it is so very different than it has been. I am so happy we gave them a second chance!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
I appreciate you taking time to write a review for us. I am so glad that Katherine and the staff were able to make your stay and party a sucess. We look forward to working with you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Biggsville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Several years ago, this was the hotel of choice when it was a Ramada. Since changing owners and names, the inside has changed slightly, such as adding the bar, but the rooms are not any different. The bed, at least in the room we stayed in, was hard and lumpy, and the most uncomfortable bed. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly. The carpet was stained and smelled, and we stayed poolside. The bathroom was clean. The hotel itself was nice. Breakfast was okay. The worse thing is checkout is 11am, and the hotel poilicy is the pool and spa does not open until 10am, which gives very little time to enjoy your last bit of time before leaving. More than likely, this hotel will not be our first choice next time, however, the price is right.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Thank you for giving the Howard Johnson - Burlington, IA a try. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy a clean room. I have relayed your concern over the bed and pool to the management group for a revision. We hope to be able to provide you with comfortable accommodations the next time you come to Burlington.
Louisiana, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We had a great time!My daughter loved the pool and i enjoyed sitting at the tiki bar while watching her swimThe bartender "Soup"was friendly and had lots of useful information about Burlington and its many attractions.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
aremtula, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Thank you for taking time to post about your recent stay at our facility. We look forward to welcoming you back, for the third time.
blue grass
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Michael was fantastic at the desk- very helpful in helping me find my way around the hotel, provided maps for the community, etc.

Room Tip: King bed room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
I am so glad to hear you had a wonderful time at our facility. We strive to provide excellent customer service.
Waterloo, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed here this last weekend with my softball team. I can tell you our expectations are not high at all. But some how were were shocked at the condition of these rooms. There is two types of rooms at this hotel. Inside rooms and outside rooms. The inside room seemed decent for the price. The outside rooms were very trashy and dirty. There were stains on the floor. The remote control didn't work for any of our TV's. Also don't stay near an outside door enterence as it slams shut ever other minute!!! Also the key card readers are crap!

Go to a different hotel, not as nice as the pictures look. Also the pool area looks nice but the pool is very cold!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
I apologize for the condition of the rooms that you had. I would like to let you know that we are awaiting a renovation of the exterior rooms. We would like to welcome you back, and try a newly renovated room. I have also shared your concerns about the pool temperature with the maintenance staff, and now have the problem corrected.
Burlington, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Everything there was awesome, the Front Desk Staff helped me with any problems i had and they made my stay very comfortable.

Room Tip: stay on the inside
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Quincy, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

My fiance, brother and sister and law came to stay here to go to fun city. It was very clean on the inside. They have several pools, and a tiki bar on the inside. The inside decor looks like town houses on a street. they have road signs and flowers and bushes. Every room has a little private balcony with a talbe and chairs. The girl that worked at the front desk was very kind, wish i new what her name was. Any ways she was an african american and awesome. actually ahe was working almost the whole time i was there.. The bartenders at the tiki bar, Soup and Tiff where too cool. and the bar will stay open as long as people are still coming. The beds were oh so comfy! the only two things i didnt like was that i had to pay a cash deposit to rent the room, and the lady who was incharge at the front desk, we called her eyebrows lol was pretty rude, and judgemental towards us. I had reserved two rooms on the inside, because they are alot better than the outside ones, and she tried to tell me that they had been givin away. and we would have to get an outside room. in the end suddenly two rooms right next to each other suddenly appeared and we got them. She still was rude and very unprofessional. i guess she looked at us and assumed we were trash, hardly the case. Besides that i enjoyed staying here, and would recommend it to others. But if you go there beware of eyebrows!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Burlington? Share your experiences!