“Needs major renovation” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Bettendorf
Illinois
“Needs major renovation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Upon arrival, I thought the place was just as nice as their website claimed. The lobby was spacious and clean, so at least those pictures were accurate. Then we went to our room. I instantly felt gross walking in. It had a musty smell, and it just felt dirty. The walls are a dingy cream color, so that made it even worse. The lights are quite dim, so that didn't help either. The sink at first glance looked filthy, but then I realized it was just the marble pattern. It looks like smeared poop. Not pretty. The shower and toilet area were surprisingly clean, but the floor tile was dark, so who knows what that was hiding.
When I opened the curtains, I realized quickly that the window will open plenty far enough for a small child to fall out of, so that should be changed ASAP. Another annoying factor was the air conditioning unit. I programmed it so that fan would stay on at all times, but it didn't. Just when the cool air was running. (I like the white noise, so this was quite a disturbance) When the air was running, it was nice and chilly, but as soon as the air kicked off, the room got too warm.
My daughter enjoyed the pool, but she was the only one. They have so much chlorine in the water, that just walking into the pool area my husband and my eyes started burning and watering. The pool is MUCH smaller than the pictures make you believe. The pool was also surprisingly clean, but with all that chlorine it should be.
The breakfast buffet wasn't bad. Not much of a variety of food, but what they did have was tasty. They ran out of sugar by the coffee both mornings, and when I went to use the packets upstairs with the coffee machine in my room, I noticed the creamer packets (from the package that contained sugar, creamer, a napkin, and stirrer) had already been removed. I guess the next tennant will find out if the package is missing sugar now.
All in all, we will never stay here again, unless we hear a major renovation happened - in EVERY room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
FTB1, Director of Sales at Ramada Bettendorf, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you for choosing The Bettendorf Ramada for your recent stay in the Quad Cities. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

We enjoyed our stopover stay here in Bettendorf. We got a good rate on a discount website. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The shower was very nice and my husband really enjoyed the Sugared Citrus scent toiletries provided (yes, he is weird like that!).
However, the best part was the pool. It has a zero depth splash pool with umbrella waterfall and fountains. My daughter was so happy. Also, a nice pool, with a whirlpool attached. And a very large hot tub. We were all happy! We were down there at least 2 hours and my daughter probably could have spent all night there. We got in early, and used the pool first, it was starting to get pretty crowded when we left at about 7.
Breakfast was provided in the lobby. It was a step up from the typical continental breakfast, as they had omelets, bacon and waffle makers. They also had juice, milk, fresh fruit, a variety of cereals, muffins, breads and danish. Staff kept the area well stocked and clean.
Overall a very nice stay, although I would not recommend the restaurant next door.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011 via mobile

We had a family suite. The setup of the room was good, although the 'chuck e cheese' style carpet in the kids' room was a bit much. All in all, I think we'd have been quite satisfied but there were other factors which disappointed us. While the room design was great, it was clearly a very old hotel, updated but still showing its age on the walls and in the bathrooms.

Parking was sometimes difficult, as they share a lot with a popular restaurant chain. The weekend nights were loud. The neighborhood did not make us feel ok about letting even our older kids walk outside unsupervised.

Overall, it was ok, but, especially considering the price, we did not feel we had made the best choice in town. Most other hotel suite chains looked nicer,more modern, and more appealing for location.

I only am checking that I would not recommend it because I think you could do better-- not because it was truly that bad.

• Stayed May 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

I stayed three nights here for a family event. My room was clean and comfortable, and the desk and housekeeping staff were responsive to my requests. I did not enjoy the breakfast: coffee was weak, orange juice watery, waffle underdone and soft. (I went elsewhere for breakfast after the first day.) Be aware, this is a family-friendly hotel, which may be just right for some but feel a bit loud and crowded for others.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the bad reviews about this hotel. Our room was clean and had a microwave, fridge and free wi-fi. Our bathroom was very clean with a nice shower. The pool area was nice and warm. (some indoor pools are so cold) There was alot of chlorine, but there was also alot of kids. The hot tub was a good size and very relaxing. Breakfast was ok. The only hot things were waffles which you made yourself and sausage gravy. But it was free, so you can't complain. We got a good price on hotwire (booked 2 rooms) and we were happy with our overall experience.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Waterloo, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Initially we thought this hotel sounded great with a decent price. The lobby was nice and clean. The key swip was very old and took about 3-4 swipes to let us into our room, each time. The swimming pool would have been nice, had the water not been foggy. The chlorine levels were so high that our eyes burned just sitting in the hot tub. So much we had to get out. When I pulled the sheets up to go to sleep 2 cheetos flew out at me! One bed smelled fresh of bleach and had crisp sheets. The cheeto bed smelled like body & had obviously not been changed. When we complained to the front desk the man told me that since I paid cash there was nothing he could do. He gave me the managers business card. I have tried to contact her with no luck. I would not stay here again. I would pay the extra $20 just to have a clean bed. My daughter & I slept on top of the sheets. The settings on the heater did not work so it was really hot so we'd have to turn it off and then wake up to it being really cold. I am very disapointed in our stay.

• Stayed February 2011

Travelers are raving about these Bettendorf hotels

Machesney Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

The staff is very pleasant and friendly. Our room looked and smelt clean. Breakfast was nice with a good variety to choose from. The temperature of the hot tub was perfect and relaxing. I did not use the pool but watched others have fun in it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Ramada Bettendorf? Share your experiences!