“Amazing food” 5 of 5 stars

Description: Good Food at Great Prices
Blantyre, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Love eating in this place as its only a 5 minute walk from my house recommend to anyone going. Standard of food is excellent and prices are good, definetly get good portions of food

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I visited John Carrigans to celebrate a birthday. 12 of a group who were treated to very good, attentive staff.
The service was very good and lovely tasty food with ample portions throughout. A very extensive menu and very reasonably priced. I will definitely return to sample delicious dishes such as 'Louisiana Chicken with a smoky sauce' and 'Cajun chicken' which my partner thoroughly enjoyed. Not to be missed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Food Quality Lacking On This Visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Having visited Carrigan's further along the road on a number of occasions with my other half, we decided to try John Carrigan's, having stumbled upon it on-line by chance. Given that Tam Cowan had reviewed this establishment, we were hopeful that the food would be tasty and were excited at the prospect of apparently 'massive portions'.

Upon our arrival, we were a little unsure of what to expect as the exterior is rather bland and gives no hint of what to expect within. Nonetheless, we headed on in and were pleasantly surprised by the restaurant area within. Throughout our visit, the waiting staff were very pleasant but unfortunately the food didn't live up to our expectations.

To start, I opted for the stuffed mushrooms - half a dozen breaded mushrooms stuffed with cheese and bacon and served with a dip of your choice (I opted for the BBQ). Overall, they were tasty and served piping hot which I like. My good lady had the chilli beef tortillas - a large portion which we both enjoyed very much!

For our mains I chose the southern fried chicken served with chips, salad and coleslaw. Overall, it wasn't any larger a portion than I've had elsewhere but it looked tasty and I was looking forward to trying it. Unfortunately, the chips were uncooked, dry and virtually inedible. It was the same with my partner's which accompanied her macaroni and cheese. Being a lover of macaroni and cheese, I was disappointed that she didn't like her's from the first mouthful. She felt that there was a strange taste and eventually likened it to cornflower - I tried some and it wasn't my cup of tea - it definitely isn't as nice as I've tasted up the road or elsewhere for that matter.

During our visit we had a couple of lagers and having explained to our waitress the pleasant manager deducted the macaroni and cheese from our bill. It should also be noted that the side of onion rings I ordered never arrived.

Based on the fact that there are other positive reviews on here, I believe that we may well have been unlucky on this occasion but alas, I think we'll probably stick with Carrigan's further along the road unless we find somewhere else in the surrounding area to experiment with.

*The Manager S dealt with the 'chips problem' very well it has to be said and staff were friendly throughout!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Huge portions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We went for a family birthday and the food was amazing. Huge portions and great service. I have an 18m old boy and they even have baby, toddler and kids menus with a great selection. Will definitely be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

portions were massive couldnt eat it all but the venue was lovely and staff were so helpful.

Pricewise was normal not to expensive,

Visited September 2012