“A completely relaxing immersion in the past” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   300 Spring Street, Bellevue, IA 52031   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Bellevue B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Joy, IL
“A completely relaxing immersion in the past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

I recently spent a two-night getaway at Mont Rest. It was everything I had hoped for-- and more. Being particularly fond of Victorian antiques, I found the entire house a treat to experience. My room was wonderful and I particularly enjoyed curling up there with a book and a fire in my own fireplace. My private jacuzzi was another joy, especially after a day of shopping and antiquing in nearby Galena, IL. The innkeeper and staff were delightful, and it was apparent that they were interested in making my stay comforatable and memorable. The breakfast in the dining room was delicious and expansive. The bald eagles in the trees next to the inn were thrilling to see and hear. I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
West Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

Was our third time here and there just great, the staff makes you fill welcome and takes care of every need. The breakfast is the best. The owner Chris is just a sweetheart. She gave us a great rate when we came this last time in Feb. 2009 for my Moms sister had died. please stay here you will love it.

Andy

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

My wife and I were looking for a weekend getaway after Thanksgiving. I contacted the B&B directly and was able to speak to the owner directly. She was extremely nice and offered to upgrade our room at not charge, when I told her we have recently married. We declined the offer because we saw the room that we wanted to stay in. From the moment we arrived we were treated as family members. Our room was really nice, we were very happy with the fact that the rooms look exactly as shown in their website.

The manager and the staff were really nice as well and everyone was very attentive to our needs. You can wonder around the house like you were in your own. They had all sort of cakes and snacks in the kitchen for everyone's enjoyment. The breakfast were delicious!! and generous portions were given as well.

Everyone was extremely helpful with directions and recommendations where to eat. We did not participate, but they have a "Murder Mistery" activity that everyone seemed to enjoy.

We loved everything. Do not have any second thoughts about staying there, you won't regret it!!!!

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Des Moines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

Eight girlfriends planned an October getaway in July. We selected Mont Rest because of it's proximity to Galena and we thought a murder mystery dinner would at the very least be a unique experience. Naomi and Chris were wonderful in helping us plan our two night stay. They helped us create our own custom package. We arrived Sunday night and were showed to our rooms. Most of us claimed to have the best room-- but mine was the best! Bridget's French Roses Room is elegant and has a lovely four poster bed.

We had a private wine tasting party with appetizers at a quaint art gallery in Bellevue. Trent our host was not only accomodating but also entertaining and helped get our stay off to a fun start.

Monday morning we got up to a delicious breakfast in their lovely dining room. We then took an hour boat ride to Galena. Captain Bernie shared the history of the river and skillfully guided his boat through some tight passages. Trent once again made sure that we were taken care of.

Monday night was the murder mystery dinner. It far exceeded my expectations. Naomi is a pro and she helped assign the roles to the sixteen guests and then selected costumes for each of us. We were treated to a night filled with lots of laughs and drama. Once again we had delicious food and the chocolate suicide cake was to die for.

Chris, the owner and her husband joined us after the murder mystery and she is dynamic and is a great story teller. We had many questions about their experiences and the history of the inn and they were great company.

I've stayed at more than a dozen bed and breakfast inns and I would rate Mont Rest as my favorite for several reasons including:

Chris and her staff clearly understand service. They seem to enjoy what they do and although the inn is incredibly beautiful with awesome antiques they make their guests feel very comfortable and it is not at all pretentious nor stuffy.

The food is delicious and plentiful!

Mont Rest is beautifully decorated and has spectacular views of the Mississippi.

The Murder Mystery is an experience we'll all remember.

• Liked — They were willing to work with us to set up a package that met our needs.
  • Disliked — I would have liked a way to shut the reading lights off without getting out of bed,
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
dodge center mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

We went to Mont Rest to celebrate our friends' 31st anniversary and booked the murder mystery package. On that particular evening, 14 people were participating, and everyone had a wonderful time. The food was excellent! The castle was beautiful! We were made to think that the castle was our home for our time there. We loved the double nozzle showers, and enjoyed looking at the decor in several of the other bedrooms, besides our own. Breakfast was amazing! There is nothing that I could suggest for the hostess to improve on because everything was perfect. We had such a good time that we are planning on making this an annual event and celebrate our anniversaries there each year. We have already talked some other friends into coming with us. We'll most likely try some of the other packages also.

• Liked — The personal attention we received
  • Disliked — We loved everything. Just didn't want to go home.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
duchessmellie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

My husband and I just spent our 1 year anniversary at Mont Rest Inn. Our room had a terrific view of the Mississippi and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was across the hall, which we knew when we booked, but it was the only room available for the weekend we wanted. We participated in the Murder Mystery Dinner which was fun and the food was great. I think I would have had more fun at the dinner if I didn't receive the role of the murderer. I was too worried about giving it away and ruining the mystery for the other guests that it was hard for me to relax and have fun.

Breakfast was wonderful and the homemade blueberry muffins were unbelievable.

• Liked — Unique property
  • Disliked — Some of the other guests
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

This was my first my first experience at a B&B. I wasn't sure what to expect. I have had heard rumors of B&B being uncomfortable, however this was not the case. The house was beautiful and the sleeping accommodations were great! I have to say my favorite was the breakfast. The homemade cinnamon rolls were delicious. Mont Rest is a wonderful place to RELAX. There is not much to do in the small town of Bellevue, however there are other great attractions in Galena and Dubuque, which is only a short car ride away.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mont Rest Inn? Share your experiences!