“Perfect peaceful getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Bellevue B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect peaceful getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My boyfriend Damian and I booked this trip last minute and did not know what to expect. We were thrilled with Mont Rest and the amazing staff. Jan met us with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies (and yes, we ate the whole plate) and gave us the tour. The property is beautiful with many remarkable antiques in every room. We stayed in the Carriage House room the first 2 nights and the hot tub was lovely. Chris and her husband, Ralph, along with Naomi were friendly, funny and inviting and made us feel right at home. We went down the street to their new location, "Froggy's Wing Dam Grill", and spent a few hours enjoying the company of Chris, Ralph and Jan along with a few cocktails. The food at Mont Rest was outstanding, especially our private dinner and the elaborate breakfasts! Chris convinced us to stay a third night at the last minute as we were too sad to think about leaving this relaxing small town. We moved to the Boardwalk Suite which was huge and romantic! We will definitely be back not just for the beautiful inn but mostly for the fun people we met!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Des Moines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here twice and both times were amazing. We participated in the Murder Mystery Dinner which was a ton of fun and the food was spectacular. I honestly can't write enough amazing adjectives for this place. The people are warm, funny and very welcoming. This place is truly a treat for the soul. We will definately visit again and again!

Room Tip: I don't believe there is a bad room to choose.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Falls, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We have stayed two times at Mont Rest and have enjoyed the owners immensely. We had great conversations, immense gourmet breakfasts, and lovely rooms each time. The hot tubs and large bathrooms are lovely. We also have enjoyed the leisurely drives along the peaceful Mississippi River and bluffs, especially in the fall. We absolutely plan to go back! RB

Room Tip: Rooms to to northwest would be the quietest, although it is a quiet little town anyways. The view...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Like most of you I spent a good bit of time perseverating over a location to spend our B&B weekend. I read all of the reviews on Trip Adviser and ended up choosing Mont Rest, it’s hard to say exactly why…guess there was something intriguing about the place. Definitely not cookie cutter, seemed exciting and had some good history. We were not disappointed, one of the best weekends ever!

The drive in is beautiful, Bellevue Iowa is a gorgeous little town nestled into the cliffs of the Mississippi, and Mont Reset located on the side of a hill is breathtaking. We stayed the weekend before Valentine’s day in the Angelic tower. The Angelic tower is at the very top of Mont Rest in a circular room by way of an old iron spiral stair case. The views were awesome up there, plus we had easy access to the hot tub located on the roof..how cool!!

The owners and staff are absolutely friendly people, and love what they do. Let me tell you it shows…you get quite the bang for your buck. The stories, history and funny events will have you sitting on the edge of your seat for hours. Of course, if that is not your cup of tea there is no problem leaving to explore and do you own thing. They also offer a dinner murder mystery, which we did not do, but the other guests seemed to have a blast. When we stay again I think we will do the dinner. Breakfast was delicious and did I mention they make some pretty good chocolate too?

Fun stuff to do around that area:

1) Visit Wide River Winery: Overlooking the Mississippi and free tastings. Great wine too.

2) Head over to Galena

3) Explore downtown Bellevue and try some of the restaurants.

Room Tip: The Angelic tower room is smaller than you think, but the awesome views and close proximity to the h...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012 via mobile

The owner and her husband are terrific people, genuine,honest, caring people, they made us feel like family. We went the week end befor Valentines Day and had the most memorable Valentines Day in 30 yrs. It was relaxing, romantic, fun filled, laugh till my face hurt week end, the interesting history behind the old mansion and the owner are something I will always remember, as well as the delicious food and homemade cookies and truffles that melt in your mouth. Can't wait to go back. Hopefully a few times a year. I'm thinking it would be a great place to celebrate my 50th birthday with close friends and family.

• Stayed February 2012
Aledo, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

My boy friend and I had an excellent time! The whole weekend was a surprise; I had no idea where i was going. I just packed my bags for a weekend getaway. I couldn't have asked for nicer people. The staff and the other guests were all so warm and kind. I never leave my house and was nervous about leaving all my animals. I really was missing them! Then Naomi was showing us the rooms and I caught a glimpse of a tail; it was a kitty. I was so relieved to see a cat. It just made me feel at home being able to hold and love on a kitty. Then she told me there was a dog too. Oh I was definately relaxed then. They did everything they could to make us feel like we were at home. Plus the food was to die for - no pun intended. I couldn't believe that this young girl was cooking all of our gormet food. It was incredible. You have to have there hot chocolate. The murder mystery was the definately the best part though. It was so much fun. You get to actually be part of the murder; dress up in costume and solve the mystery. There wasn't one thing I would change. OK, maybe one; I would have had one more cup of hot chocolate. I have recommended to everyone.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. We stayed in one of the suites. Can't remember the name for sure...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We were here to enjoy a "mystery weekend" with our good friends. They took care of the reservations. When we arrived we were shown our room (the steeple room with a winding iron staircase as the only way into the room. My husband didn't really want to lug two suitcases up that thing. In adition, the room had no fireplace or tub. We asked, is it OK to switch our room? The hostess said, sure and gave us tours of the available rooms. We picked a much lower price room and they said we can fix the bill later. When we went to leave we asked Kris the owner if we can adjust our bill before we left. She said, just call Naomi the manager, on Tuesday and she will take care of it. In the past 4 weeks, we have called twice and emailed Naomi twice. We have not received any response to our request to adjust our bill for a lower priced room. (We moved to a room that was not in the main old mansion but were in the annex.) Our stay itself was nice, but why such horrible treatment? If we knew the room price would not be adjusted that's fine. BUT PLEASE TELL US WHILE WE ARE BEING SHOWN NEW ROOMS THAT WERE NOT BOOKED! I have not ever encountered an innkeeper with such poor customer service sense. I can't believe how horrible we feel after this stay and the way they have treated us. We will not make any recommendations to this inn. Be very careful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mont Rest Inn? Share your experiences!