“A second trip to Finn Jann Husky Farm - an experience repeated” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Finn-Jann Husky Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jurmu
Finn-Jann Husky Farm
You added Finn-Jann Husky Farm to your Saves list
Raappanansuontie 61, Jurmu 93400, Finland   |
London, United Kingdom
“A second trip to Finn Jann Husky Farm - an experience repeated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

On my return trip to Finn Jann Husky Farm in Northern Finland, in March 2012, I travelled alone but you are never alone once you arrive at your destination. Your guides are helpful and friendly and the dogs love to meet visitors and get your attention. The safari out to the cabins is a wonderful experience and staying overnight in the cabin is so peaceful - eating by candlelight, enjoying a conversation interspersed by the crackling of the woodfire.The dogs enjoy the trip immensely and it provides you with lots of opportunity to get to know and appreciate their different personalities. They are as important to me as the scenery, the joy of travelling in pristine countryside and the gorgeous food which your guide prepares for you every day. Marya was our guide and she looked after her team of two with humour and dedication. The team can consist of 6 people but on this trip, there were only two of us. The previous year there were five in our group - big or small, the group size is irrelevant - the experience is wonderful either way. I will return in 2014, sad that I am going to miss my trip this year. I would recommend a visit to Finn Jann if you want to have a very special experience - frozen lakes, clear blue skies and exciting pathways through the silent forests, sledding with a team of energetic, charismatic huskies - hard to beat! :-) :-) Patricia O (London, UK)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

If you want to try something else, this is it!

We've went for a one week safari and stayed in 2 different cabins with no electricity and running water. It is an experience of a lifetime which you won't regret.
The sceneries are awesome, it was quiet and serene and like most people, you just want to bring some of the dogs home. They do all the work and are really strong and happy. They just love to be running and pulling the sled through the snowy tracks. You will start having a bond with your dogs within a day or two.

Everything was very well arranged and the staff is very friendly, easy going and helpful. We enjoyed the chores we had to do - feeding the dogs, collecting water for the sauna, washing-up, creating the fire in the cabins,,. It was an amazing, authentic experience and our main goal was to see the northern lights but that really became secondary.

If you are someone who likes to have everything organised, this is definitely not something for you. Some efforts from your side is being expected, but you will enjoy every minute!

If you are someone who needs to be connected, the farm has wifi which is convenient if you are from abroad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Myself and my sister went on a five-day husky safari organised by the Finn-Jann Husky Farm in March 2011. It was probably the most amazing experience I have had, sledding with the huskies through a peaceful, snowy wilderness and being looked after by an excellent team of people. It was fun, exciting, exhilarating and most of all an education. The dogs were healthy, happy and friendly. Their enthusiasm was inspiring. The routes across country with the dogs were spectacular -expansive frozen lakes, silent forests bordering narrow, undulating paths cutting through deep snow; lunches in the open around an aromatic, wood fire. Warming soup and toasted sandwiches washed down by steaming tea. The dinners in the farm and the log cabins were home-cooked and delicious. I had to control my urge for third helpings. We even enjoyed the few chores we had to do - feeding the dogs, collecting water for the sauna, washing-up. It was an amazing, authentic experience and I am going back in two days time to do it all again. I want to see, pet and talk the dogs; I want to sample the same gorgeous food; I want to sled through the Finnish wilderness with nothing to break the silence except the slushing of the snow as the sled drives through it and the panting of the dogs as they do what they love best - run. I would not be returning, despite all of these attractions, if the owner, Timo, and his expert staff did not provide a professional, high quality service for all their guests. Everything was managed in a gentle, serene manner - if you are not at peace when you arrive, believe me you will be when you leave! I could not rate my experience at the Finn-Jann Huskey Farm more highly. I will report back on my 2012 trip with more superlatives I am sure. Patricia O'Sullivan (Ireland) but living in London.

Room Tip: This is a wilderness holiday - you are allocated rooms to share if you are travelling alone but migh...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

My wife booked a two day dogsledding trip here as a surprise 70th birthday present. Dogsledding had always been an aspiration and my wife probably thought time was running out for me! It was an inspired choice. Stepping off the plane at Kuusamo airport at -25C was a good introduction to a very different environment, followed by a magical transfer, in the dark, past endless snow laden trees with the snow gently falling, to the farm. A good, if late, meal was followed by a careful kitting out for the next day by my trip leader, Marja. She really did make especially sure that my boots were comfortable. The next day, before a hearty breakfast, saw me out in the snow, photographing and getting to know one dog, Bella, who turned out to be in "my" team. Then came a rather daunting briefing on how to manage a sled and dog team, followed by harnessing the team to the sled. There were three of us plus Marja and both the others were paying repeat visits, always a good sign! It was agreed that my sled would be in the middle, which was helpful. I knew the dogs would shoot off once the sled was released by a member of staff and that this would be the only two-footed start. (Normally you hold the dogs back with one foot and much weight, on the brake) Off they went and I was into the first of four rides of my life. Marja set the trail well ahead - we hardly heard the snowmobile - but also stopped at particularly tricky corners or ambiguous junctions, so I felt really cared for even amongst the adrenaline-filled twists and turns along the trails. It was a wonderful mixture of peacefully gliding between trees, or across a frozen lake, (which brings tears to your eyes, it is so beautiful), punctuated by those frantic efforts to keep the sled on the trail when following the dogs around tight corners. It snowed most of the time, so we were forging new trails much of the time, with snow about 2 feet deep on either side.
Picnic in the snow? Well, it's all organised. Fire pits are available, snow shovelled out, birch logs taken out of the snowmobile trailer, birch bark lit and two minutes later there's a roaring fire. Spread reindeer skins around the fire, catch hold of one of the sticks left there for the purpose and cook a sausage stuck on the end of it whilst Marja heats up a pot of soup on a rather stouter stick. Meanwhile the dogs are enjoying a well-earned lie in the snow. (It is remarkable that they lie quietly until the signs of departure, then they bark furiously and enthusiastically until the off, when they are instantly quiet and quickly into running mode)
On arrival at the overnight cabin we were despatched to get water from the lake - took half an hour to break through the ice, temperatures had been below -30C. Water for the sauna, for the dogs, for us. In that order I suspect. Marja lit the woodburning stoves in the cabin and in the sauna. Head torches were really useful: candles were the only source of light. We stocked up with logs for the cabin woodburner and whilst we did not add clothing when we went to bed (unlike camping in the Okavango, where all available clothes were added at night), we did not remove any. The woodburner was constantly replenished throughout the night and we were warm enough in our many layers.
At first light in the morning there was a truly wonderful experience as the dogs, in perfect unison, set up a howl, repeated several times for one or two minutes. They were announcing their presence to the world: here we are, this is us, this is our land. In that moment I was no longer a tourist trying my hand at dogsledding, I was part of their team, their family.
Two more legs back to the farm left me exhausted and exhilarated in equal measure.

I am not an adrenaline junkie even though I have white water rafted, overlanded in Africa, bombed around the Arctic in a zodiac, quad-biked in the sand dunes etc. This trip had enough adrenaline moments for a lifetime and also enough spell-binding moments of natural beauty for a lifetime. If dog-sledding appeals to you at all, however remotely, if you like nature and being at one with nature, don't hesitate. It is still difficult to believe how much experience can be packed into two days and the staff at Finn-Jann are both professional and friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I recently spent 3 days with the finn jann husky farm team and they were some of the best days of any holiday ive ever taken
The first day we learnt how to control the sled and the dogs. Then the following day we were given a team of 5 dogs each. we had to take care of them for the next 24 hours which meant we had to catch them, harness them and drive the sled giving them commands on our own (some couples chose to share a sled so one drove and the other sat in the sled. This can mean that the person sitting quickly becomes cold)
at night we arrived out our forest cabin. We put the dogs in their kennels and fed them. The experience was great fun. I cannot thank maria our guide enough, we had an amazing time. The overnight stay in the cabin was a great fun. We had dinner and then had to keep the log burner going all night to stay warm. The only light we had was candle light. It was a real adventure. Maria the guide returned in the morning and we got the dogs ready for our return to the husky farm following the trails through the trees and having lunch around an open fire
Great fun, icannot fault this place or the staff and the dogs were fantastic. I wanted to take them all home.

Room Tip: If you stay overnight in the cabin. Dont put loads of wood in the log burner to early. Although the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Just back from a holiday of a lifetime and want to share this news with everybody.
OK so I had this great idea for my wife’s 50th birthday – and booked a week’s wilderness adventure at Finn-Jann husky farm in Finland. Probably the best decision I ever made in my life holiday wise.

How do I describe an event that goes two steps beyond description? Well simply put, it was amazing. The Location was amazing, the people were amazing and the dogs ... well the dogs were beyond amazing as was the wilderness experience.

Where to start?

OK our usual holiday is beach based, we are not by nature sports minded and the last time I broke out in a sweat through effort was when I opened a letter from the tax man -
First point this is a wilderness adventure holiday so don’t expect 5 star, but do expect comfortable warm accommodation – even out in the wilderness cabin, brilliant sauna’s and more food that you can handle – bear in mind when you look at the price this is intrinsically and all inclusive package expect for booze. First tip take a bottle of something with you – something that mixes with water and ice – there are no local shops.
All necessary equipment is supplied but would suggest bringing your own hats, gloves, snoods, [wickable] sub layers and goggles

Finn Jann runs several kind of husky related experience such as day trips or as we did week long adventures. On our first day a group of Dutch guys came along for a day experience as part of a wider ranging holiday and they enjoyed it so much they cancelled another activity day and came back for more husky time.

As for our adventure that means that day 1 we were given out own sleds and our own team of huskies a briefing and a day’s training run that night back to farm to ask all the questions etc – be advised when you are on a dog sled you are on your own – so all questions saved up for meal breaks.

Day two saw us start our amazing 3 day adventure out and about in the vast wood and hills of central Finland [near Taivalovsky] probably closest village. We completed an average of 45 Km’s a day – and every evening was spent alone in the wilderness cabins. Don’t be afraid of that each day you have a guide on a snow mobile -in our case Jussi – who drives out ahead of your sleds and sets the trail the dogs follow for the day – the guide goes well ahead and waits and rendezvous points so you don’t have the snow mobile noise all day, but you do have support and safety checks - Lunch is by the track side sitting on reindeer hides cooking over an open fire – always includes soup – sandwiches and the ubiquitous coffee – Finns drink more coffee than Columbians [fact] plus what they call the Finnish National Vegetable – the Sausage. In the evening the guides set you up in the cabins and then go home and its all yours, that depends on size of group though.

The whole adventure is set up as a mixture of good safety practices – with just a frisson of danger that makes you feel you have achieved something. Just you, the dogs and hundreds of square kilometres of empty snow covered beautiful wilderness.
But the main feature is the dogs – particularly your own team – whom you soon become very possessive and watchful over. Oh and the puppies they were gorgeous. Hardest part of week was getting the wife to give her dogs back. There are 90 dogs on the farm [when we went] you have free access to all of them and they all are so friendly all they want is a cuddle or a fuss. The dogs are everything to everyone – they are the stars of the show and are treated accordingly.

However mention should be made of the support teams Timo, Jussi, Mihna and all the other great guys made our week complete – by the final night we felt more like we were leaving home rather than going there – Finland is a country of many surprises, great beauty and [once they get to know you], very warm welcomes from the Finns.

This is not a danger sport but this si a holiday where even the most "risk averse" of us can challenge ourselves - they have had people of 84 doing this - so age is not a barrier

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Finn-Jann Husky Farm? Share your experiences!