“Food is fantastic” 4 of 5 stars

Park Ave, Winona Lake, IN 46580
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cerulean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Park Ave
Indiana
“Food is fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a foodie's dream restaurant! The sushi was some of the best we have ever had. It is in a old house that is decorated to reflect the art community.

• Visited May 2014

Warsaw, Indiana
“Not #1”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

...Every year, we take some friends of ours to a restaurant for their birthdays which are only a few days apart. this year, we took them to the Cerulean. None of us had been there for some time and we all liked it in the past. When I reserved a table, the woman taking the reservations asked if this was for a special occasion and I told her about celebrating the birthdays. When we arrived, we were immediately seated although in a corner with no view. We decided that this was not too bad since we enjoy talking with each other.
...We ordered drinks and as we were sitting there, one of us happened to feel under the table and immediately started laughing. She told the rest of us to feel under the table and we also started laughing. The immediate feeling is of touching a finger. For some reason, possibly so people with long legs wouldn't rub their knees on the table, there was soft foam plastic glued to the bottom of the table. The foam chosen was the egg carton foam which gives peaks that feel like fingers.
...We ordered a bottle of wine which was excellent though expensive but perfect for the meal. We are not heavy eaters and frequently order combinations of appetizers and side dishes instead of an entree. This gives us a combination of tastes without stuffing us and also allows room for a dessert. This is easy to do since the menu is split into 3 serving pages plus Sushi and it is easy to pick and choose.
...Among us, we had strawberry gazpacho, asparagus, scallops, duck bacon, braised pork and bibb salad. Everything was well prepared, very tasty and well presented. I ordered the strawberry gazpacho since this sounded like a new taste for me. It was served in a bowl that resembled a sombrero. It was excellent except for one detail. The indentation in the center where the gazpacho was served was extremely small. I was given a small spoon such as is sometimes found in a sugar bowl. If I had been given a soup spoon, I might have gotten 2-3 servings since there was so little gazpacho.
...We ordered coffee and it was served using french presses. When the waiter brought my cup, I immediately saw what appeared to be a crack in the cup. I checked and this crack went completely through to the outside of the cup. I pointed this out to the waiter and expected him to apologize and say he would bring another cup. Instead, he asked me if I wanted a different cup. It seemed a bit unreasonable to expect me to say no and that I would guts it and allow him to pour hot coffee in a cracked cup. Additionally, one of the presses did not work properly and the waiter said that he knew this press was not working properly. Given the nature of this restaurant, I would have expected a faulty press not to have been used.
...For dessert, we had chocolate silk and creme brulee both of which were quite good and well presented.
...I was a bit surprised that no recognition was given to the birthdays of our friends. In virtually every restaurant we have gone to, some recognition was made of the birthdays. This is why I thought I was questioned when I made reservations. Given the cost of meals at the Cerulian, it would have been appropriate for such recognition.
...The night was nice so we decided to walk around in the area. We all noticed that we had white fuzz all over areas that constituted our laps. Apparently, the napkins in the restaurant shed fuzz which stuck to our clothes. We had to use a sticky tape roller to remove it when we got home.
...The food was excellent but there were some quirks in the service that should not have been there for a restaurant of this supposed caliber. So while I rate the food highly, I rate the rest of the experience poorer than at some of the other much lower priced restaurants in the area.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Notre Dame, Indiana, United States
“Best Lunch Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I've only had Cerulean during lunch but let me tell you- these are the best lunches ever!!! The Bento Box is so great with lots of choices and great flavors. I personally think the Duck is the best I've ever had!

• Visited June 2013
Loyola, CA
“Wonderful seafood, charming space”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We were seated on the porch overlooking the canal just before subset. That added to the calm clean decor to set ancient mood. The menu is short but very interesting. Chickpea fritters with jalapeño yogurt is a great starter. The skate was perfectly cooked. The wine list is thoughtful with a range if styles and well priced. Better they have good wines by the glass. A nice thing if you have to drive a way to get there. And worth the drive.

Winona Lake, Indiana
“Cerulean had it all, great food, service and atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Go for lunch and enjoy the beautiful bento box lunch choices. If it's warm enjoy the screened in porch.

• Visited February 2014