“Absolute Nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in West Lafayette
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Absolute Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE-- TRY ANYWHERE ELSE.

This place is a living nightmare. I tried to stay here homecoming weekend because the Union was booked-- they were charging $129 a night. Me and my one friend were planning on staying, but our other friend was dropping us off. When we were checking in, the (EVIL, TERRIBLE, SCARY) check in guy tried to intimidate me by saying "How many people are in your car?" And I said "We only have two people staying here" and he goes 'REALLY because your car is FULL of people." I assured him we only had two staying. Then we get out to our completely disgusting room, (dirty & small, bed a half inch from the ground) and our friend is helping us unload. This guy calls our room and starts yelling "I need to see you at the front desk-- because i just do". I ask why. He said just to come up there. I go to the front desk, thinking if i could just explain to this guy what's going on, he would know we only had two people staying. Long story short he just keeps screaming and telling me that I was a liar and that we were going to have four people stay there (there were only 3 of us, so that i was even more ridiculous). AND he told us if we have a single person past 10:30 he would terminate our stay and make us pay full price.
129 a NIGHT for this gross room and the guy was terrifying! What hotel won't allow other people in the room even for a brief period? I am a 24 year old girl with a 9-5 job trying to visit my alma matter and he is screaming at me and treating me like a criminal. I tried to explain we didn't have a problem with the rule but he was singling us out. Finally he lost control and literally CHASED us out of the main building. Luckily (reluctantly and so rudely) he allowed me to get my money back. I think at this point he was afraid I would call the police. Thankfully the union had a last minute room open. So much nicer and guess what-- they let us have people in the room like a halfway decent hotel would. I plan on calling Purdue and asking them to try and force this place out of business. What a terrible, terrible place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ken Caryl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Campus Inn is older & looks a bit shabby on the outside but it is clean & comfortable inside. It has been well maintained. Style-wise, it is like many other older hotel you might visit around the country.
Given it's great location relative to the university & it's low cost, it's really a good value. If you just need a place to crash when visiting Purdue, I would definitely recommend it. It you are a value-conscious traveler, I would absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Long Grove, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Campus Inn is a good value at a great location near Purdue. Being able to walk to campus and local restaurants is huge. The rooms are clean and well maintained. After years of staying here I can say that management has always been responsive and willing to work with my schedule changes, The value and location keep us coming back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have been using this hotel for over 5 years on a regular basis. My room is basic, but always clean. The staff is consistant and courteous. The gentlemen that manages this property is very accomodating and has helped me out with on campus lodging on may occassions. You cannot beat the loacation The only better location is The Union, but requires planning one year in advance and is much more expensive.

Location, Location, Location.....

Room Tip: Get to know the manager, he will take care of you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Las Cruces
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I just checked out of this hotel. I had been staying there for the past two weeks and noticed that I was repeatedly getting bites on my back and shoulders. I decided to check the bed for bugs, found some, and reported it to the manager. He denied that the bugs I found in the bed were bud bugs and said that they were just "beetles". Why the hell are there bugs in my bed anyway! His denial makes me believe that he has no intention of trying to rid the room of bud bugs. Multiple doses of benadryl and my skin is still itching like crazy! Stay clear of this hotel or at least room 215.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
sf
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Purdue deserves better. Visiting parents of new entering freshman -- do NOT stay at this hotel. The city of West Lafayette should step in and condemn this property.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
los angeles, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I cannot say enough bad things about this place. Dirty, unsanitary, not worth $100/night. Not worth $50/night. Outrageously over priced. Management is thoroughly unhelpful, rude and unacoomodating. Particularly a man named Frank. There are 15 other places on rt. 26 to stay. Do that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Campusinn, Manager at Campus Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Mr. Jarkuss reserved the room with one queen bed for Super Bowl weekend for two nights. Upon his check-in at midnight he realized he made a mistake & reserved 1 bed instead 2 beds. Though Campus Inn was not obligated to change the room type at check-in, the front desk personal informed him that we can change his room next day morning for second night provided he stop by next morning to complete the formalities. He voluntarily chose not to stop by next morning to change his room & arrived middle of night of his second night of stay to change the room.

We did our best to to resolve his problem but he chose not to take advantage of it instead he became rude to staff and to the manager middle of night because it didn't work the way he wanted.

We are sorry Mr. Jarkuss it didn't work out the way you wanted.

Been to Campus Inn? Share your experiences!