“Cant beat it if you are having a meeting on campus...otherwise not so much.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union Club Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Lafayette
Union Club Hotel
Save Saved
You added Union Club Hotel to your Saves list
101 North Grant Street, Purdue Memorial Union, West Lafayette, IN 47906   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in West Lafayette
MN
“Cant beat it if you are having a meeting on campus...otherwise not so much.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed there when I was on campus for work. Parking is free for hotel guests and the hotel is connected to the student union which had several food options. I was there for 2.5 days, I parked my car when I got there and didn't move it till I left.

That being said, I stayed in a handicap accessible room (I guess that is what they had left) and the bathroom was certainly handicap accessible. The bathroom was tiled and the drain in the middle, there was rails on the shower walls and a seat you could transfer too. For someone who doesn't need a handicap room, it wasn't ideal since the bathroom floor got wet pretty much in all areas you would also get ready in - if you are wheelchair bound, this shower set-up should work well. However, the doors open out, toward the space you would be sitting if you were in a wheel chair so it would be hard to get the door open to get in the bathroom and harder to close.

The bedroom area didn't seem very handicap accessible. I know my grandpa wouldn't be able to get his wheel chair between the bed and a chair that was in the room. There was a desk next to the headboard of the bed, so if you did push back the chair to roll up to the bed, you would have to enter the middle of the bed, if you cant use your legs it would be hard.

No breakfast is included, they do have a basket of apples and I went there for a midnight snack.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

SUMMARY: Small rooms; OK service; very clean

DETAILS: Next time I'll stay somewhere else. The rooms were very small, to the point of being uncomfortable. The Internet was OK. Relatively expensive. I got the impression it survives because of school functions and parents. Every spare space in the room is occupied by beds, probably for visiting (large) families.

Room Tip: Don't get a one bedroom suite. You won't have more room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
West Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a night while on campus for business. Can't beat the parking and the hotel is beautiful evoking historical elements while still having all the modern conveniences. Showers have great water pressure, colors throughout are calming, Internet options are included and work great (look for the Ethernet cable in the desk drawer if you prefer wired Internet but didn't bring a cable along - oops).

My complaints are minor. Unless I'm missing something there is only one ice/vending area and it is on the first floor around the corner from the elevators - a mighty long walk if you are on the fifth floor at the opposite end. Secondly, is the "maze" like feel getting to the elevator from the lobby - long but not confusing.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of a conference my husband is attending on campus. It was booked by the conference. Check in was fast. We were given a room on the 5th floor (the top floor). Now getting to the room was like going through a maze but we didn't mind. We had a room that had a double bed plus a twin bed. Space was tight. There was a desk, TV, closet was small...bathroom was ok with enough counter space. The towels were fluffy and plenty. Now every hotel should find out which kind of a/c Union club uses. It's the quietest I've ever experienced. We had it on all night for 5 nights and slept like pigs!!!!!! The hotel lobby was spacious. It's connected to the Purdue Memorial Union. Since my husband was attending a conference and he could eat from any of the eateries in the union, we frequented them everyday for every meal. Very convenient. Chauncy Hill village is simply next block with shops/eateries/a public library. We had to check out super early on Saturday morning and found that the union eateries weren't open...perhaps it's because of summer schedule....But we found Einstein Bros. Bagels open at 6am 2 blocks away. Then if you walk a few more blocks down the hill there's a McD open 24 hr !!!
Anyways, the hotel is a great place to stay if you are doing something on campus. No frills though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We spent 2 nights at this hotel during the STAR program. Our first night was in a standard room on the fourth floor. We absolutely loved this room. The beds were very comfortable and it was totally quiet. We decided to stay a second night but had to move to an "upgraded" room on the first floor. I am quite sure that if we had stayed in this room the first night, we would not have stayed the second night. This room was very uncomfortable. It was extremely noisy and the bed was not pleasant. The front desk people are very nice and the location can't be beat. However, when you book, make sure you are on the upper levels.

Room Tip: 4th floor is fabulous!! Ground floor is too loud!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This morning was our first and brushing teeth was nasty- it was the water- it has a bad taste. When we asked the front desk about it we were told the maintenance men were working on it. Later that afternoon the water tasted different- not yet good. Two housekeepers came and said it does have a bad taste. At 6:00 pm tonight I went back to the lobby to ask if there was any progress on the water situation and this hostess did not know anything- she said I could buy water. She offered for us to move rooms and found some options. I walked with an employee and tasted the water- still is strange (the employee agreed). The Union's water tastes fine- they have a different water softener. I don't want to change hotel rooms- we are here for the week- but would have appreciated if the staff offered to buy a gallon of water. I suggested that and the hostess said they can't do that.
Off to the store to get a gallon of water.
July 8, 2013

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at the Union Club at least annually for about ten years. I really like the location right on campus adjacent to the student union and its food court. Another review didn't like the ramp parking across the street, but I really appreciate having free covered in-and-out parking available, not having to worry about my car parked outside if the weather turns stormy. There is short term parking immediately outside the front door for unloading luggage, etc.

The best thing I can say about the Union Club is that it is consistent. The rooms are always clean, if basic. The little shampoos are the same every year. There are always red and yellow apples at the desk. The wi-fi password is always a hassle. The exercise room has half a dozen machines, no pool. Union access is super easy with a shared elevator.

The front desk staff are always efficient but never really chat with guests or go out of their way to help improve your stay. It seems like they are pretty constrained to a "that's not my job" attitude about hospitality. (Once, years ago, I arrived late in the evening by myself with a preschooler and a baby ... No one offered to help with my suitcase or anything... Not fun trying to push a stroller and a luggage cart at the same time.)

That said, I always know what to expect at the Union Club and feel very comfortable visiting. I'll be back again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Union Club Hotel? Share your experiences!