“Great location for stay at Purdue” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union Club Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Lafayette
Union Club Hotel
Save Saved
You added Union Club Hotel to your Saves list
101 North Grant Street, Purdue Memorial Union, West Lafayette, IN 47906   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in West Lafayette
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Great location for stay at Purdue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had our daughters wedding at the Purdue Union Hall ballroom. We blocked out rooms for many family members to stay. For an older hotel it has been well kept up. The standard rooms can be a little cramped, but the deluxe double was more spacious with an extra sink if you have more than one person in the room. It even had a small refrigerator for us to keep some items. With over 10 rooms occupied by family and friends, no one complained that there rooms were dirty or unkept as a previous review. Maybe they cleaned up their act because we were all very happy with the stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from high traffic rooms near doors that slam and elevators.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a conference at Purdue because of its great location. However, next time I will definitely pay extra to stay somewhere else. I would urge people to AVOID unless you'll stay here for a night and don't mind an unclean room.

I have posted some pictures of te bathroom where you can clearly see that these people do NOT clean at all.

As or service, OH LORD, they are horrible. First, they gave me a room, when I go into the room there is already someone there!! I go to the lobby to sort everything out and even though I had paid for my stay months in advance they had no idea where to put me. After they sorted everything out they didn't even say sorry!!! So rude!!

I am NOT staying here again!

• Stayed May 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is very convenient to Purdue University. For the Price however unless you are at an event that requires you to stay here or has a big advantage of proximity stay elsewhere. The hotel is comfortable and clean and an average hotel at best. The prices they charge to stay here are simply outrageous for the rooms and services! Fitness center needs work and treadmill is often not in working order. No Pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have longed to stay in this historic union/hotel on each visit to Purdue, but was never able to obtain a reservation. I finally was able to obtain a room, but now I am very conflicted with having to rate it. The bottom line for those that don't want to read further is that it is expensive for the ammenities provided. It's redeeming feature is the location.

My room rate for a Friday and Saturday night stay sent me home with a bill over $400. Over $200 a night is on the higher end for this type of room. I stayed in room 119 which is just slightly down the hall from the lobby. My primary complaint is that the noise levels were ridiculous as guests seemed to linger in front of our door laughing and talking loudly after being out partying. I cannot imagine how bad it would be on a football or basketball weekend. I would have expected an older building to be more sound proof, but it was so loud you would have thought the people were standing in your room. I have stayed in other hotels where I have complained about the noise. This was by far the worst as it was as though the voices were magnified. It would be interesting to know if rooms further down the hall or upstairs had the same problem.

My second big complaint is the shower pressure was HORRIBLE! I have shoulder length thinner hair and I took 30 minutes per shower. On the second morning, I closed the tub drain during my shower and the tub measured 1/3 full after 30 minutes running water. You just couldn't feel rinsed, or warm. My daughter with thicker long hair refused to shower on the second day because it was so bad.

Other irritants for a $200/night room were: the refrigerator wasn't working upon arrival (however it was replaced promptly), there wasn't a pen to be found in the room (in order to fill out the maintenance request forms needed for the refrigerator repair), the maid service was questionable (the toilet paper roll was left with 3 sheets without a backup nearby on the night we arrived, and the beds looked like the comforter was simply thrown over the bed on the second day, not tucked in tightly like when you arrive), sheets were itchy, and the soaps and shampoos were "old school" cheap. People should also note that the bed choices are limited to two doubles or 1 queen, no kings. I also found parking across the street in the parking garage to be a hassle. Weekends when the Union has activities it was hard to find a spot without circling and circling and the spaces are tight for large vehicles.

The redeeming feature of this hotel is it's location right on campus. You can walk to anything from here. If attending campus for a student tour or a function where alcohol is consumed that is a huge plus because short of 2 other nearby hotels, the majority of hotels are 20 minutes off campus. Since we were here for a family weekend, we found ourselves driving off campus quite often which made the location not as good a value for the money.

Another plus of the Union is that the people at Purdue are super friendly and we found the desk help very courteous and helpful.

Overall, for the purpose of this trip, I cannot say it was worth the money.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Naperville, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was visiting campus to be part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the Purdue Computer Science department. This was a chance to meet students, past professors, fellow alumni and listen to distinguished guest speakers.

I decided to stay at the Union Club for this visit, and I am glad I did and I will be back.

I've stayed at the Union Club just a few times over the years. The most frequent visit to campus, where I want to spend the night, are football games, and the Union Club is always booked months in advanced. But for this trip, I was pleased that it had available rooms -- if you are doing anything on campus, this is the place to go.

The campus does not permit cars, so you have to park on the perimeter; just one problem: the parking garages are almost always full. This is a pain. If you can get a room in the Union Club, you have a parking spot, and you don't have to hassle with driving. Even though it's a campus of 30,000 students, if you can see it on the Purdue campus map, you can walk there. Everything is nice and close.

I ordered a deluxe double room. I had two double beds, respectable (free!) WIFI, and a flat-screen TV with some HD content. The bath room had two sinks, a combined tub/shower, and a normal amount of closet space. I think I got one of the nicer rooms, be sure to ask for deluxe; some the rooms are less nice. I was pleased that the parking was included with my room; they gave me a special exit pass to get out of the garage.

The hotel does not have a restaurant, but it is adjacent to the Purdue Memorial Union. The Sweet Shop is a good place for late night snacks. The hotel recommended that I walk over to the school bar area (Chauncey Hill) and have a pizza at Jake's. That worked out fine.

Also, since my meetings started at 10am the next morning, I took a spare hour, just after sunrise, and walked through campus. I saw Purdue Memorial Union, University Hall, Memorial Mall, Purdue Bell Tower, Elliott Hall of Music, Purdue Mall and Fountain and the Memorial Gym. For an alumni, these buildings are historic and were nice to see in early morning light (nice photography).

The hotel staff very nicely helped me find the new Lawson Computer Science building (which I walked to, no problem) and the staff saved my luggage for me while I was at my meetings.

Room Tip: if you are driving from out of town, the GPS will take you West along State street and tell you to t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night to visit Purdue University with my son. This is a good option as it is on campus. The room rate was $130 which I thought very reasonable and included two double beds, complimentary breakfast buffet (wasn't that impressed with this but since it was free I can't complain...) and free parking at the garage across the street. The staff was very helpful both on the telephone when booking and during the stay. The people in Indiana, in general, seem to be very nice. This hotel is next door to and attached to the student union building which has a dining mall in it's basement, with name brand chain foods and an old fashioned ice cream parlor which is a Purdue institution. The only thing I think they could improve on would be the lighting in the room and hallways, to me it was a little dim. Otherwise, it was a nice, clean, reasonably priced and convenient hotel to visit Purdue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great location in historic location on campus. Room was peaceful and quiet. Shower pressure was the best ever anywhere. I want that shower head at home. Very friendly front desk and housekeeping staff. Free parking across the street in the garage. Walk anywhere on campus from here. All toiletries wrapped and labeled Purdue-nice touch!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Union Club Hotel? Share your experiences!