“Walk anywhere on campus. Close to Union and Chauncey Hill restaurants” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union Club Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Lafayette
Union Club Hotel
101 North Grant Street, Purdue Memorial Union, West Lafayette, IN 47906   |
Naperville, Illinois, USA
“Walk anywhere on campus. Close to Union and Chauncey Hill restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was visiting campus to be part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the Purdue Computer Science department. This was a chance to meet students, past professors, fellow alumni and listen to distinguished guest speakers.

I decided to stay at the Union Club for this visit, and I am glad I did and I will be back.

I've stayed at the Union Club just a few times over the years. The most frequent visit to campus, where I want to spend the night, are football games, and the Union Club is always booked months in advanced. But for this trip, I was pleased that it had available rooms -- if you are doing anything on campus, this is the place to go.

The campus does not permit cars, so you have to park on the perimeter; just one problem: the parking garages are almost always full. This is a pain. If you can get a room in the Union Club, you have a parking spot, and you don't have to hassle with driving. Even though it's a campus of 30,000 students, if you can see it on the Purdue campus map, you can walk there. Everything is nice and close.

I ordered a deluxe double room. I had two double beds, respectable (free!) WIFI, and a flat-screen TV with some HD content. The bath room had two sinks, a combined tub/shower, and a normal amount of closet space. I think I got one of the nicer rooms, be sure to ask for deluxe; some the rooms are less nice. I was pleased that the parking was included with my room; they gave me a special exit pass to get out of the garage.

The hotel does not have a restaurant, but it is adjacent to the Purdue Memorial Union. The Sweet Shop is a good place for late night snacks. The hotel recommended that I walk over to the school bar area (Chauncey Hill) and have a pizza at Jake's. That worked out fine.

Also, since my meetings started at 10am the next morning, I took a spare hour, just after sunrise, and walked through campus. I saw Purdue Memorial Union, University Hall, Memorial Mall, Purdue Bell Tower, Elliott Hall of Music, Purdue Mall and Fountain and the Memorial Gym. For an alumni, these buildings are historic and were nice to see in early morning light (nice photography).

The hotel staff very nicely helped me find the new Lawson Computer Science building (which I walked to, no problem) and the staff saved my luggage for me while I was at my meetings.

Room Tip: if you are driving from out of town, the GPS will take you West along State street and tell you to t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night to visit Purdue University with my son. This is a good option as it is on campus. The room rate was $130 which I thought very reasonable and included two double beds, complimentary breakfast buffet (wasn't that impressed with this but since it was free I can't complain...) and free parking at the garage across the street. The staff was very helpful both on the telephone when booking and during the stay. The people in Indiana, in general, seem to be very nice. This hotel is next door to and attached to the student union building which has a dining mall in it's basement, with name brand chain foods and an old fashioned ice cream parlor which is a Purdue institution. The only thing I think they could improve on would be the lighting in the room and hallways, to me it was a little dim. Otherwise, it was a nice, clean, reasonably priced and convenient hotel to visit Purdue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great location in historic location on campus. Room was peaceful and quiet. Shower pressure was the best ever anywhere. I want that shower head at home. Very friendly front desk and housekeeping staff. Free parking across the street in the garage. Walk anywhere on campus from here. All toiletries wrapped and labeled Purdue-nice touch!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amherst, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is one of my favorite Purdue hotels. It's priced right and therefore hard to book sometimes depending on Purdue's event activities. One downside is that full size beds are their biggest bed option. Rooms are clean and there are many restaurant choices in the Union building. Free parking is available in the parking garage across the street. (Very convenient - parking at Purdue can be hard to find)

Room Tip: Each floor has a family suite with 2 rooms which is nice if you need a little extra space. They book...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Morgantown, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is staffed by the rudest, least friendly people I have encountered. Upon check-in, I was barely acknowledged by the front desk agent. She handed me some paperwork for me to guess where to sign. I had to prompt her for a parking pass, directions to the garage, how to get to the elevator for my room, etc. The room was okay. I had 2 double beds and enough floor space and furniture to be comfortable. But the shower is more like a water fountain. It was reasonably warm, but at the rate it trickles out, it took at least a minute to fully wet a washcloth. I debated about setting off the sprinkler (located in the shower for some odd reason) just to get rinsed off.
Then, I go down for dinner. It's an old elevator, but it shouldn't take 30 mintues to go 2 floors. Yes, I got trapped in the elevator. Of course, when your locked in small room, time goes very slowly. After they contacted emergency workers to free me, I thought perhaps I would get a free cup of coffee, a discount on the room...nope. Not even a hint of an appology. The front desk ladies just giggled, "It's an old hotel. What do you expect?"
I decided there were too many better options in the area to put up with this any longer. I decided to check out early. When I finally got someone to come to the front desk, I said I wanted to check out early because the staff was so rude. The gentleman at the counter said indignantly, "not my staff." Well, I don't know who he was and I don't care. If he had access to the computers to check me out, then he certainly had control over the staff. Take responsibility! This experience has tainted my whole view of Purdue University, and it will certainly be reflected when they ask for my help in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is attached to the Purdue student union. I had a room with one queen sized bed. It was comfortable. The best part was being able to walk easily to anywhere on campus. The union itself is gorgeous. Internet and parking were free. The furnishings were a bit dated, and the room wasn't very spacious. My room was on the first floor and it felt like I was walking through a maze to get to it from the lobby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
North Central Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We really enjoyed the Purdue Memorial Union. We were on campus for a tour and were treated very well. We were offered free breakfast in the Sagamore room, free wi-fi and free parking. Thanks for making our visit to Purdue very special. I highly recommend when you are planning a trip to Purdue. It is within walking distance to everything on campus. Perfect for football or basketball games!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Union Club Hotel? Share your experiences!