“Property was wonderful, room/housekeeping unimpressive” 3 of 5 stars

You added West Baden Springs Hotel to your Saves list
West Baden Springs Hotel
c/o French Lick Resort, 8670 W. State Road 56, West Baden Springs, IN 47432   |
Urbana, IL
“Property was wonderful, room/housekeeping unimpressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed at West Baden Springs Hotel 2 nights for a business trip. The building, grounds, and shops were lovely, the concierge and check-in staff were helpful, and the room service food was quite good. Overall relaxed and peaceful atmosphere.

I was disappointed in my room, however, as it had a fairly thick layer of dust on most surfaces (seemed they had dusted only the table recently). I've stayed in much less expensive hotels with much cleaner bathrooms. Many hairs on the floor/tub, which is the worst ever in my opinion. There was even a spot on the outside of the toilet where a guy had missed and no one had cleaned it. The mirrors had been cleaned but with something that left white fuzz/residue. I took a teabag out of the station by the coffee maker and there was a mass of dust in the bottom that flew up. Something had been spilled down the outside of the cabinet door where the refrigerator is located, but not entirely cleaned. Either that or it was cleaned and left a stain, which is no big deal. There was a hair on the first washcloth I picked up. The shower tile definitely needed attention and the shower curtain was on the verge of being mildewy at the bottom. This was pretty surprising considering how nice the hotel is and how much they charge. I would have definitely requested my room be switched (or cleaned) if I were paying, but since it was for work, I didn't feel like I should make an issue of it.

Housekeeping was a little uninspired, as I returned on my second day after they had tended to the room that morning, to find that they didn't empty the full wastebasket by the refrigerator, they didn't put the throw pillows on the bed (they were on the floor), and didn't replenish the breakfast menu that goes on the doorknob. When I called that night to order breakfast (in absence of the door hanger menu) the person I reached was perturbed with me for calling because I should be using the menu on the door. When I explained there was not one, he took my order, seeming exasperated, and hung up. I called back to tell him what time for breakfast since he did not ask for that info.

The pillows also left something to be desired - usually decent hotels have a variety of pillows to choose from, but all of these were dense and firm. I had taken my own just in case, but fyi for anyone that might depend on a decent hotel pillow.

One more note - if you would like a view, be aware that not all rooms offer this. All of my colleagues were discussing the beautiful views from their rooms. Mine, however, looked out onto part of the roof. The windows were level with it, so I could have climbed out them, in theory, and walked around on the black rubber-looking expanse. There was a facade that goes up from there, which is what prevented seeing much beyond that other than some treetops.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Ken V, Guest Relations Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to give feedback concerning your stay. It is our goal to make every visit an extraordinary one, but it seems in this case we failed. Please be assured that we have listened to your concerns and taken steps to make sure that this does not happen again. If you would like to share any more information or if there is any way I may be of service please do not hesitate to call (812) 936-5514 or email kveron@frenchlick.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
New Melle, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was our first trip to the West Baden Springs Hotel. It exceeded my expectations. The property is absolutely beautiful. The staff was very friendly and accomodating and - most important - very proud of their resort. They were all very knowledgeable about and happy to share with you the history of the property. It was very interesting.
We shuttled over to the French Lick Inn several times for shopping and meals. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a shuttle..
These 2 properties have a lot to offer - indoor & outdoor swimming pools, walking & hiking trails, bike rentals, horseback riding, bowling, multiple golf courses, a casino.....All of this in a beautiful setting full of old world charm and elegance.
All in all - a wonderful week.

Room Tip: We chose a room with a view of the gardens. We would definitely choose the same view on our next vis...
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Wanted a place to go midweek for a overnight getaway. Chose this truly unique hotel. Although the nearby French Lick Hotel and Casino, are just a short walk away, we opted to spend a few more dollars, to stay here.The place is truly outstanding! From the room accommodations, to the staff, to the food. Everything was just wonderful. The hotel has been restored to it's previous glory. The grounds and gardens are beautifully kept. If you go, get a room facing the atrium.

Room Tip: Ask for an atrium room.
Owensboro, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I did a last minute getaway. We chose the more expensive West Baden hotel over the French Lick hotel because we wanted a quite, adult getaway. I have been to high end hotels in Beverly Hills and New York and the West Baden hotel rivals the best the country has to offer. The only hotel I can compare West Baden to is the Beverly Hills hotel. It is private, quaint and classy. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel grounds are historic and the garden makes for a nice romantic walk. We spent most of our time lounging by the pool. The pool itself is fairly small but the lounge chairs are very comfortable. The restaurants are excellent and the casino at the French Lick hotel (a short shuttle ride) made for some great adult fun. If you can afford it, I recommend this hotel to anyone.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is by far the nicest, cleanest, most gorgeous hotel we have stayed at. We come here a couple to few times a year. The staff is all very friendly and helpful. The atrium is a wonder to behold on its own. We enjoy both the countryside view rooms as well as the atrium balcony rooms. We usually alternate. Lunch at Ballard's in the atrium is always good, though a bit slow, but we don't mind the scenery and people watching while we wait. We went to Sinclair's for dinner once but weren't overly impressed. I highly recommend hopping on a shuttle to go dine at 1875: The Steakhouse over at French Lick Springs. They have the best filet! It is a very enjoyable two hour meal experience. If you need to cool down, take a swim in the gorgeous indoor pool, or order some ice cream from Xanadu from the outside order window on the verandah, then sit in a rocker and enjoy it. Breakfast room service is delicious. Just walking the grounds and sunken gardens is very relaxing. I always see a bunch of deer. The historic walking tour is fascinating. Even just relaxing in the elegant rooms is time well spent. There is so much to do here! My only complaint is that for such a nice place like this I would expect them to have more high end mattresses than they do. The beds aren't uncomfortable, but could be better. If you have a fur baby, this hotel is very dog friendly. There is a one time $75 pet fee. We got a welcome bag with a hotel logo water dish, wrapped milk bone and roll of baggies for clean ups. They even have a canine room service menu! (See pic) Most definitely a must experience hotel!

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, they are all interior atrium rooms.
Shelbyville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Beautiful property and grounds. Dinner at Sinclair's was very good. Spa experience was very relaxing. Suggest making dinner and spa reservations well in advance of arrival to get the time you desire. We will definitely be back and book a room overlooking the atrium.

Room Tip: Book a room on the 4th or 6th floor with balcony overlooking the atrium.
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

On July 12 I attended the wedding of my granddaughter, which was held on the veranda of the West Baden Springs hotel. The staff did an excellent job of handling all the arrangements, including preparation and serving of the dinner. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. I have traveled extensively in both the U.S. and abroad and have stayed in some very nice hotels, but none like this one. My room was beautifully furnished.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!