“Pure Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

West Baden Springs Hotel
c/o French Lick Resort, 8670 W. State Road 56, West Baden Springs, IN 47432   |
“Pure Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is by far the nicest, cleanest, most gorgeous hotel we have stayed at. We come here a couple to few times a year. The staff is all very friendly and helpful. The atrium is a wonder to behold on its own. We enjoy both the countryside view rooms as well as the atrium balcony rooms. We usually alternate. Lunch at Ballard's in the atrium is always good, though a bit slow, but we don't mind the scenery and people watching while we wait. We went to Sinclair's for dinner once but weren't overly impressed. I highly recommend hopping on a shuttle to go dine at 1875: The Steakhouse over at French Lick Springs. They have the best filet! It is a very enjoyable two hour meal experience. If you need to cool down, take a swim in the gorgeous indoor pool, or order some ice cream from Xanadu from the outside order window on the verandah, then sit in a rocker and enjoy it. Breakfast room service is delicious. Just walking the grounds and sunken gardens is very relaxing. I always see a bunch of deer. The historic walking tour is fascinating. Even just relaxing in the elegant rooms is time well spent. There is so much to do here! My only complaint is that for such a nice place like this I would expect them to have more high end mattresses than they do. The beds aren't uncomfortable, but could be better. If you have a fur baby, this hotel is very dog friendly. There is a one time $75 pet fee. We got a welcome bag with a hotel logo water dish, wrapped milk bone and roll of baggies for clean ups. They even have a canine room service menu! (See pic) Most definitely a must experience hotel!

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, they are all interior atrium rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Shelbyville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Beautiful property and grounds. Dinner at Sinclair's was very good. Spa experience was very relaxing. Suggest making dinner and spa reservations well in advance of arrival to get the time you desire. We will definitely be back and book a room overlooking the atrium.

Room Tip: Book a room on the 4th or 6th floor with balcony overlooking the atrium.
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

On July 12 I attended the wedding of my granddaughter, which was held on the veranda of the West Baden Springs hotel. The staff did an excellent job of handling all the arrangements, including preparation and serving of the dinner. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. I have traveled extensively in both the U.S. and abroad and have stayed in some very nice hotels, but none like this one. My room was beautifully furnished.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New Albany, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Several years ago on a trip to the French Lick/West Baden Springs area my wife and I toured the abandoned and sadly in disrepair West Baden Springs hotel. The plan at the time was to restore the property to its original brilliance. Recently my wife and I made plans to re-visit the property and see the transformation.

Words cannot truly do justice for this marvel of engineering. I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in America and I can say without reservation that West Baden Springs is FAR AND AWAY my favorite. You simply cannot capture the beauty of the property in photos. Once inside it is easy to forget that you are far from the glitz and glamor of Broadway or the elegance and panache of old Hollywood. West Baden Springs delivers on every level with exceptional service, world class amenities, outstanding dining options and the most relaxing location I have yet to encounter. Our stay was so peaceful and refreshing my wife and I did something we have never done before at the end of a stay: we went to the car and loaded up to leave - looked at each other - and then promptly walked back to hotel, purchased a cup of coffee and sat down on the spacious veranda to soak in a few more moments of heaven. I always hate to have a wonderful stay come to an end, but neither my wife nor I wanted to leave. I suppose that's the most compelling argument I could make for why you should pay a visit to Southern Indiana and discover this Eighth Wonder of The World. I checked it off of my bucket list only to add it back in a few more times. We will definitely be back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

A very beautiful place with a wonderful staff. It was the place of my grandpa's first job, so it isn't only beautiful place it is a link in my family's history. The rooms are gorgeous and so are the grounds.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Who would expect to find such a place in southern Indiana? It is a beautiful place with such an interesting history. We were not at all interested in the casino but found the grounds and the room at the West Baden Springs comfortable and relaxing. We wish we were able to spend more time there exploring the grounds and trying out the spa.

Room Tip: If you get an interior room, you can look into the beautiful atrium.
Satchel7426
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

A visit to French Lick is like doing time travel back to the Gilded Age of America. The West Baden Hotel in particular is absolutely stunning! The atrium in and of itself is amazing! It is 67 steps from one side to the other (so about 200 feet across) and approximately 100 feet high. At night the lights in the ceiling change color so be sure to have a drink at the bar in the lobby and just enjoy the entire experience.

All the hotel rooms are first class and the restaurants were all wonderful. The Casino was a bit of a disappointment because smoking was permitted but I realize many people still have the habit so they must accommodate.

If you play golf, the Ross Course is very enjoyable and challenging even though it is short by todays standards. This is because of all the elevation changes, rolling terrain, and undulations of the greens. The Dye Course is spectacular in every way! The conditioning, the layout, everything. Too bad the fee is so much. ($350) Oh well, it's a once in a lifetime place and should prove to be a good venue for the 2015 Sr. PGA Championship.

Bottom Line - It is pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the atrium are more expensive and you really don't spend that much time in your...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!