“Elegance of time.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of West Baden Springs Hotel

You added West Baden Springs Hotel to your Saves list
West Baden Springs Hotel
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   c/o French Lick Resort, 8670 W. State Road 56, West Baden Springs, IN 47432   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indy
“Elegance of time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is historic. Worth seeing to be part of history. No need to take the tour because you can soak up the info by walking around the hotel. We ate the Sinclair restaurant. The food and beverage manager recommendation was terrific. The lamb was delish. I would not recommend the filet. Their temperature scale is not the tradition/ international cooking of "rare, medium, etc. Read the menu if you order a steak. There were bugs on our table. Just assumed it came with the windows and old building. The waitress Nicole, picked up the smashed bugs and never offered to replace the glass of water. She just wiped it off.
My suggestion would be save your money and eat at the bar! Same kitchen and better selection of food.
There is really not much to do- spend time with your mate or parent. Spa - don't waste your time! Walk and enjoy the scenic view of the golf course, the hotel, and the trails.

The employees are nice. However; lack the pizazz of a big city hotel/restaurant or high end "how to treat clientele".

One day this location will be the place to visit just to enjoy the old time feel. It was a nice change from city life.

There is jazz played and nice to listen too. This is your only source of entertainment in the lobby. We people watched.

• Stayed June 2014
Ken V, Guest Relations Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and wish to offer my apology for the parts that we did not get right. it is our goal to give every guest a memorable experience. We will make the necessary changes to make sure that similar lapses do not happen in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
Peru, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is a hotel that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime. The character and detail of the hotel is beyond words. My husband and I spent our 11 year anniversary here a couple of weeks ago and I will say it was literally the best decision we could of made. The receptionist was one of the friendliest greeters that I've met at a hotel. We were upgraded to a suite due to it being our anniversary and also because she got a phone call that interrupted our check in. I have never been upgraded due to the fact of the phone ringing. That was just simply amazing. The history in this hotel was just take you back in time. I love how they kept the feel of the hotel to their original beauty. The rooms that take you back in history and show you the transformation was a nice touch. Last but not least, the room service is simply amazing as well. We ordered around midnight and the food was delicious and reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Rensselaer, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was nott our usual family vacation. Due to many reasons, I wasn't able to book our typical 'cabin on a lake' vacation. Less than a week before the scheduled vacation time, I decided to see if I could get us rooms in the French Lick resort. When I called for reservations, I was able to get rooms at the West Baden property. Over 20 years ago, I had begun my career in French Lick and the famous West Baden dome was hardly visible from the road. The transformation is incredible! The rooms are spacious and have a mini fridge available. The beds are comfortable. Our room looked over the atrium but it was never noisy. The atrium is gorgeous! The fixture in the dome was mesmerizing. There are plenty of activities for all between the two resorts. The grounds are beautiful.There is a free shuttle that will take you from one property to the other. I'm glad we had rooms at West Baden rather than French Lick because it was quieter. Even though French Lick had more kid activities, our kids were content with the indoor and outdoor pools and the billiards room at West Baden. I never felt I had to worry about my teenagers going off on their own to explore, either. All the employees were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed 2 nights at West Baden. The property is amazing, but the people who work at the front desk need to be trained in customer service. My wife and I booked our stay through a third party and the reservation was paid for before our arrival. On the second day at the hotel someone came to our room and asked us if we would be checking out soon. We were confused so my wife called the front desk. She was told we were only booked for one night. The person on the phone could not fix the issue and requested I bring down my reservation information. I showed her the reservation and where my credit card had already been charged. I was told that a manager would have to fix it, but she was on lunch, and would be back in 45 minutes. My wife and I waited, and received a call from a front desk representative not the manager. We were told it was fixed. Later on that day our key no longer worked. We went back to the front desk and were initially helped by someone who was in training. She attempted to reactivate our keys, but was unable to do so. She told us their system said no one was in our room. Another representative came over to help. She was very short with us and did not seem to be concerned about the problem. My wife was not happy with situation so she asked to speak with a manager. He also was very dismissive and did not listen to her. He explained to my wife that we should have booked through the hotel directly. He never at any point apologized for the inconvenience. At one point he even began to walk away while my wife was speaking to him. He offered her a free desert for her time after she explained we had been trying to fix the issue for an hour and a half. I suppose that an hour and a half of our time is worth about ten dollars. The next morning my wife and I found a bill under our door for one night of our stay. After all of our interactions with the front desk the problem was not still not fixed. I went down to the front desk and asked to speak to the hotel manager. I explained all of our frustration to her. She proceeded to make excuses for her front desk supervisor. She said she would normally do something for us, but since we booked through a third party there was nothing she could do. I can think of several things she could have done. At the end of our conversation she said that she would give me a card so we could contact the front desk directly if we stay again. Apparently, she did not notice my high level of dissatisfaction. I would like to note that my wife and I have stayed at the French lick resort on two other occasions in the French lick hotel. We also had another stay booked later in the month for West Baden. Based on our current experience we cancelled that reservation. Our experience at West Baden has ruined my impression of the entire french lick resort. I wish West Baden would have put in a little effort to get us to come back. My wife and I would have become loyal customers, because we like the property. West Baden's poor customer service has caused us to look for other places to go on vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ken V, Guest Relations Manager at West Baden Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for your visit and taking the time to share your experience. Please accept my apology for the difficulty that you experienced with your reservation. Our goal is to give every guest an experience that exceeds their expectations it seems that in this case we failed. Please rest assured that we use feedback such as yours to make sure that this does not happen again.
Louisville, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This place was amazing. Elegance and class inside and around this resort. Walking into the lobby (think of walking onto the court of a major basketball arena) and you are awestruck by the beauty. Staff was very attentive, grounds and gardens it top shape, lots to do. Our room was large, two double beds, with an adjoining sitting/TV room. The bathroom was spacious, with double shower, separate toilet and a vanity area. Great for a family of 5. We had 2 teens and at first they were less than enthused about the idea of going for a long weekend. Once they walked into the lobby, jaws dropped and they were impressed. Plenty to keep the busy, and the technology turned off.

Room Tip: There are rooms with a view of the lobby and rooms with a view of the grounds. Pick the grounds unle...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I took my family to visit a few colleges in Indiana this past weekend and we decided to give the West Baden Springs Hotel a shot. In a word, the hotel is remarkable. The exterior is reminiscent of the clubhouse at Medinah Country Club with the moorish style dome and towers. The grounds are spectacular and a tribute to European gardens. The most remarkable experience was entering the hotel atrium/rotunda which is approximately 200 feet in diameter and 7 stories high. The ornate detail of the tiled mosaic floor, columns, moldings and glass is something to behold. My wife and I felt like we were transported back to the 1920's and were entering The Great Gatsby's Midwest Hotel. The room we had was equally impressive, as it was tastefully decorated, well appointed and overlooked the atrium. I plan to visit the hotel again with my wife in the near future and will take advantage of a the golf the resort has to offer. Five stars for this crown jewel of the Midwest!

• Stayed June 2014
Galesburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our family used the opportunity of an event that east coast relatives planned to attend to arrange a family get-together. While many of our family originated in Indiana or live there now most of us had never visited French Lick. The beautiful area, the awesome hotels, the fine service were just what we all needed. Relaxing in the evening with my book and my family in the West Baden Springs Hotel atrium is my new vision for what heaven could be. I'll be back whenever I need a getaway from life. And if you are there, please go up to the Joe Dye golf course even if you don't play the game. What a view!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to West Baden Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!