“Great renovation!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
“Great renovation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago and just remember it as a run-of-the-mill Holiday Inn Express. This time, however, I was very impressed with the full renovation the hotel has undergone. I would have never guessed that it has been in the IHG portfolio for a long time as they really renovated rooms to the brand standard.

As a platinum guest, I was upgraded to a great suite which was greatly appreciated. The staff was consistently friendly and were very willing to grant a late checkout to me.

This is definitely one of the nicest hotels in the Porter County area!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Margaret L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you so much for the generous compliment! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel to the Valparaiso area. Your feedback means a lot to us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chisholm, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you are using Siri to find it, make sure you are heading South, not North as Siri directs you. It looks like it's down a dead end road, but it curves around.
The accommodations are standard--as with all HIE. Nice decor, fairly new hotel. Thin walls though. Not sure if it was just my room, but I got woken up at 5:00am by the next door neighbor's 'morning wake up' call from the front desk. It was so loud, I thought it was my own phone. I could hear the guy next door coughing, as if he was in the same room.
Nice place, nice price, but if you like it really quiet --ask for a room with nobody around it.

Excellent location if traveling via freeway, or to Kouts

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't near anyone. thin walls
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear sasha a,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to hear that you liked our excellent hotel location and facilities. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am very sorry about the noise and quality of comfort you experienced in your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Barberton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel monthly for over two years. It's located near Valparaiso University on Route 30. It's also near the intersection with Route 49 which makes the hotel very accessible. There are nice restaurants nearby like Kellsey's and Industrial Revolution which are only a few minutes away. The hotel is basic, it's clean and comfortable but nothing memorable. The free breakfast buffet is pretty standard for the Holliday Inn Express chain which includes cereals, cinnamon rolls, bagels, eggs, sausage or bacon, waffles and yoghurt among other items. Again, nothing fancy but gets the job done. The beds are comfortable and new, the sheets are clean. The tv's are all flatscreen and HD but I have yet to see the HD working. I have never tried the pool but the small gym has two treadmills one of which hasn't been working for the last few months, and one stationary bike. There are no free weights. The bathrooms are clean and well equipped. I have never had any plumbing issues, hot water is always available. Even though the hotel is located near a busy highway, noise has never been an issue. For the price, it's a great choice if you need to stay in this part of Indiana.

Room Tip: I prefer the third floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Nice place to stay - room was very comfortable and the bed was very comfy. Wonderful place for a family - pool to keep the kids busy and nice breakfast - great for a family budget!! Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great place to stay. I always stay here when I am in the area. The only negatives this stay include: poorly working air conditioner and no ice on my floor. The staff was super friendly and the hotel is clean, and I am extremely picky on cleanliness.

Room Tip: I always choose the top floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to stay. Hotel is nicely situated away from noise and close to everything. Weight room has limited equipment. Nice size swimming pool and hot tub. Very friendly and helpful staff (especially Katlin).

• Stayed April 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I’ve stayed here before and love the location (I have business with Valparaiso University and this hotel is very convenient). There are a few things I’ve shared with the management. We’ve played phone tag but I haven’t heard from them again. The hotel is clean. It’s predictable in all the ways that Holiday Inn Express can be predictable. There are a few things, though, that were not up to the brand standards before and some other experiences were frustrating this time. Simple additions would be nice. Lotion and facial tissues that don’t disintegrate when used and more than grape jam and dietetic grape jam at breakfast would be nice. The frustration this time was that I tried to extend my stay but was told by the evening staff that no rooms were available (I knew a middle school basketball tournament and wedding were also at this hotel). I checked on-line and was able to book an additional night. I tried to stay in the same room but had to check out and move down the hall for the final night. I was there for six nights total. I will be back again but I do hope they smooth out the rough edges a bit.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but I still prefer rooms on the back of the hotel, away from highway traffic.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear EnjoyTravelAlways,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know you liked our location and you found our hotel clean. We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations in our amenities and the breakfast. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso? Share your experiences!