“Poor Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Valparaiso
denver
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

This hotel has very bad managment and customer service. I called three days prior to check in to request a roll away bed. I gave them my name and they pulled up my reservation. I was told that roll away beds are on a first come first serve bases. They said to call the day of to request. I called the night before and was advised my room could not have a roll away bed because of a fire hazard. I would have to upgrade my room and pay $20.00 more per night. The general manager basically said to bad. I will take my complaint to Hilton customer service. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Florida/Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

I made a reservation for five rooms through the Hampton Inn three months in advance of a group trip. I called to confirm the reservation three weeks before my trip.
I called on the day of my reservation from the car on the way to the hotel to ask for an early check-in and was told that the hotel no longer had a reservation under my name and that the rooms I booked were no longer available. I spoke with the manager, Philip, who said that he did not have any record of my reservation and would need "physical proof" that I had a reservation, accusing me of lying! I had the reservation information printed out and in my hand but was in the car and therefore unable to fax it to him.
I told him that I was on my way to the hotel with my group and would need his help to find a room there or at an alternative hotel in the area. He once again said that I would have to fax him the information.
I ended up having to scramble to find another hotel in the area for my group only one hour before we arrived in town.
I never received an apology from Philip or any of the other hotel staff.
I have been staying at the Hampton Inn in Valpo since 2002 and have always had a good experience until now. I frequent the area and will need to find another place to stay from now on. I refuse to stay somewhere where the management treats guests in such a rude fashion.
For anyone considering the Hampton Inn, I would encourage you to look at the Country Inn and Suites. It is on the same road as the Hampton, is new and very clean, and has excellent customer service. They also offer discounts if you are on a Valparaiso University affiliated trip.

• Liked — Location is convenient
  • Disliked — Poor Customer Service
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
fort wayne, in
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

In many ways this is a typical Hampton Inn, but there were a few things that were above average. The hotel is well maintained and close to several restaurants and shops. The suite my family and I stayed in (wife and three kids) was very roomy. The wireless internet connection was strong in my room. The breakfast area was very clean and the hostess was very friendly. The pool area is nice and the pool itself was quite large. The hot tub was a good size and the right temp. The workout room had nice equipment.

Overall we had a very nice stay and I would recommend this hotel to both families and business travelers.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brentwood, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

This is one of the nicer Hampton Inns I have stayed at. The suite I was given was huge. The bed was very comfortable. But I was most impressed with the large lobby, and the 2 free drinks and appetizers offered in the lobby starting at 5 pm. As with all Hampton Inns, the coffee is the best and their breakfast was above average. Overall, it was a very nice stay.

Stayed July 2007
near Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

We've been visiting prospective colleges with our teen, and were looking for a place to stay near Valparaiso University. The admissions people gave us names of several area hotels, and we did some on-line searching to verify their amenities. This Hampton Inn was the only one that mentioned having free internet access, as well as a complementary warm breakfast in the morning. There were also a refrigerator and microwave in the room, and their pricing was comparable to the others, so we decided to book our stay.

The hotel property is set off the main road, and we made a wrong turn trying to get to it, but the plus side of their location is that the hotel was very quiet at night.

We arrived around 5:00 p.m., and after checking in, discovered that they were serving complementary nachos and beverages, including soda, beer and wine. Apples and bananas were also set out. The hotel is located near a major shopping center with many different restaurants close by, for full meal selections.

Their swimming pool said it was open until 11:00 p.m, with "adults only" from 10:00 -11:00p.m. Unfortunately, it was a bit cool for our liking, while the hot tub was too warm, and there didn't appear any way to check or adjust the temperatures. The fitness room had a pair of treadmills and an exercise bicycle, along with a TV. There were ample clean towels available.

The biggest "negative" to our stay was discovering that the tub spigot/shower sprayer knob in our bathroom was broken. I was initially caught "off guard" with a cold blast spraying down from the fixed shower head on the wall. After warning the rest of my family to adjust the water temperature while standing outside of the tub, before they took their showers, it was fine.

The warm breakfast on the day we stayed did not have eggs, as we had hoped, but provide french toast sticks and sausage patties. There were other "continental breakfast" choices, including cold cereals, muffins/rolls, yogurt, etc. Upon returning to our room, we noticed the maid's carts had bags of microwave popcorn, which we had NOT found in our room previously. It was a simple oversight, we assume. Overall, our short stay was pleasant, and if we came through the town again, we would still consider returning to their hotel.

• Liked — Complementary foods/snacks were available at various times
  • Disliked — Our bathroom had a broken tub/shower control
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hudson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

We attended Family Weekend at Valparaiso University. This hotel was wonderful. HOT breakfast was included. Choice of egg, bacon and cheese biscuit, pastries, cereal, juice, coffee, fruit, etc. Very clean. Pool was nice. Very comfortable bed. Short distance to University. Will definitely stay here again. Staff very friendly.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Elevator was a bit slow
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2006

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn. I really appreciated, since we were traveling with a small child, the fact that every room includes a fridge and microwave. The beds were extremely comfortable - especially the duvet. The crib provided for our child - an evenflo pack-n-play - was nice and looked relatively new. The decor of the room was pleasant and stylish. We also appreciated several nice touches - that the "sitting chair" in the room was a recliner, the curved shower bar that made the shower seem bigger, the availability of wi-fi. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The hotel is conveniently located near Valparaiso U. and several shopping areas and major roads.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso? Share your experiences!