“Good not Great” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pikk's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 119 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Chesterton
“Good not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

We were really excited to try this place after reading what great food they had and that they were so highly rated. First of all, they seated us in the basement, which is nicely decorated, but we were seating in a dark cold corner. We had to ask them not to dim the lights so much because we literally could not see our food. We got the pub burgers after reading they were so good. They were not so good, especially for 10 bucks. I can make a tastier burger at home, and you have to ask for everything to go on it or they won't give it to you, so if you want ketchup, mustard, mayo etc; make sure you order it that way. Did look like they had a good beer menu. Maybe this is the kind of place that makes decent upscale food but fails at making simple things like burgers....I dont know. Not worth the money.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chesterton Indiana
“An Honest Review...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

Reading the other reviews, I was really excited to try this place. Walking in, its a neat little place, and we were seated right away. Our server was excellent.. and the menu was averaged price for what I ordered... I ordered the Filet Mignon. 7 oz.

To start they brought us 2 tiny slices of bread.. which were salty.
Then our meals came.. I had the steak, and a little bowl of mashed potatoes.

For Real.
That was my meal. for $23.99

Uhm. It seemed a little pricy, I could go down the road to another steak place, get 1/2 loaf of bread, soup OR salad, plus my meal for the same price.

Everything was SALTY. I've heard of using salt to add flavor to things, but EVERYTHING HAD SALT! OVER salted. My boyfriend LOVES salt, and he was even saying things were too salty, that like NEVER happens!

Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but nothing I'd write home about, because I've basically had this other places. Heck, I'd rather go to Fazollis up north, than go back to this place. I've had better experiences else where. I was really kind of disappointed.

Plus it was LOUD in there. You couldn't have a real conversation.. it was hard to hear the other person. And it was just 2 of us.

Its a neat Atmosphere, but I don't think I'll be going back there. Pricey, but ok.

For dessert I ordered the Red Velvet cake. GIANT doesn't begin to describe this piece of cake. Why do restaurants feel it necessary to serve something there is NO WAY you could finish on your own in one sitting. Plus it had No flavor. The little pieces of fruit next to the HUGE piece of cake were better than the cake itself.

So... I don't write many bad reviews.. but its not all its cracked up to be, According to the other reviews for this place... Listed as #1?? I don't think so.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Santa Cruz, California
“Best Burger Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

I just had my first dinner at Pikk's, and the food and service were both incredible. The Tavern burger was perfectly cooked, and I got to choose any ingredients I wanted off of a list (I went with bleu cheese, bacon and sauteed mushrooms.) The service was very attentive and the food tasted upscale, but there was zero pretension; the atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable. I might be moving to Valparaiso later this year, and Pikk's will go in the "plus" column as I make my decision.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I ate here with my bunco...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I ate here with my bunco gals and we got a nice table in a semi secluded area. Our waiter was great. All the drinks that everyone got were delicious. i had the asian tempura. i wasn't fond of the fried batter around the mushrooms, but once i removed that it was the best! Loved the atmosphere would totally go there again.

Valparaiso, IN
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

Probably THE best burger I've ever had in my life. I think it's called the tavern burger if memory serves. They are very pricey on the drinks (especially the Belgian beers...yikes!!), but the food and service are both top notch.