“A new low. Absolutely do not stay here.” 1 of 5 stars

Days Inn & Suites Terre Haute
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 East Margaret Avenue, Terre Haute, IN 47802   |
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Terre Haute
NorthernVirginia
“A new low. Absolutely do not stay here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I'm usually a little more positive, but calling this place a rat trap might be too unkind to rats.

I admit to two mistakes: not checking Tripadvisor before staying here, and being in too much of a hurry in choosing a place to stay. I'm helping my in-laws move from the Mid-West to the East coast, so we had some budget considerations and an emphatic grand dad that insisted he had stayed here before and liked it. That may be true, but I suspect the memory to be of a positive experience that occurred miles from here.

First they ripped us off at check in - two different people in line ahead of us canceled their stay; one due to being ticked off over either the kind of room available and the other due to a credit card issue. However, we we got to the counter, there were only suites available at a pretty high rate. When I asked about the rooms that had just been canceled the counter guy just shrugged and said these more pricy rooms were all the computer was showing available. And informed that they were "completely sold out", but of course I was being offered rooms. Nice. I should have walked out then.

What gets me even more irritated is that for the rate I paid to say in this entirely deficient insult to the otherwise reputable Days Inn brand (Westin, you really should be ashamed of yourself), is that I paid enough to stay in a quality, clean hotel.

I stayed in room 250 - a "suite". Sure enough it was two rooms, and spacious. And all of it filled with mold. Opening the door the overwhelming smell of the room deodorizer (oxymoron?) was overwhelming. I opened the door and tried the windows - but of course they don't open. I turned on the exhaust fans and the AC / Fans and opened the door wide. After an hour, I could almost stand the stink. One of the AC units had a musty / moldy smell to it that was worse then the deodorizer, so I turned that one off.

I'll skip the typical complaints... The carpet was very stained, the beds apparently left over from Woodstock (and about as dirty), and the furniture looks like they pulled it out of the mud or a municipal dump from a post-Katrina ravaged town. OK, that may be a little bit of a rant, but it is really pretty bad. The hallways and anything that could have a layer of paint need to be replaced / painted / refreshed / updated, or more likely burned for public health concerns.

I managed to get a few hours of "sleep", after removing most of the bed linens, and picking a couple of pillows that looked clean. I did refuse to even put my luggage on one bad after closer inspection. I did not want to take anything out of the luggage, or an extra bag I had. I may quarantine all articles to the garage when i get home for a couple of days, just incase.

So, with all of the fans running, it was hard to hear some things - and that is a pretty good thing last night. Through coughing and hacking all night, I got up for a tissue, and found the carpet a little squishy, and then heard the plink, plink, plink of water dripping from the ceiling. Looking up, it is pretty clear this has been in issue for a long time. the well stained carpet, and multiple repair attempts are well evident. That also explains the stink in the room, the attempts to cover it up with "deodorizer" (which to me is pretty barn-yard like), and the furniture which is showing the signs of wet particle board.

I've never said this about a review before - however, I am suspect of anyone that posts an "excellent" rating of this property. Sometimes you see a posting that clearly is positively biased, but there is nothing excellent about this hotel. I'm getting more rest in the nearby Starbucks, and at least I can breath.

What really made me laugh was the "tip envelope" left by housekeeping. I feel bad for them, but I'm not losing any more money on this once in a lifetime experience. Avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Anything except the top floor where the roofing appears to be failing. Avoid the front and back side...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Louisa, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This property is older and needs a little updating. The bathroom mirror was terrible it had a bronze cast to it making it difficult to do makeup. I felt like we got a good deal because we used a travel magazine coupon. We slept well and were exhausted. We passed on the breakfast so not sure how good it was.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We came in quite late and were exhausted. The staff was pleasant and the rooms clean and well taken care of. The bed was comfortable and breakfast the next morning was very nice. I work at a hotel and am, quite picky - very nice job overall. We will be staying there every time
we come through :-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I came to Terre Haute from Lincoln, Il to visit my cousin, and had to stay here because he had no room at his house...The price is right, and the room was great...I got one of the 2 rm suites for a very nice price..(69.99 plus tax) and the room is worth every penny!!!!!!The room had BRAND NEW CARPETING in the room, and two (2) brand new flat screen TV's..( I knew they were brand new cause the tag for the wattage usage was still on the front left side of both tv;s) I also noticed that the hotel was replacing carpets and other things durning my stay,which I was told at check-in that they were in the process of remodeling..I also noticed the moniter on the cabinet and realized this place has security cameras. I asked about this and was assured the cameras were there for the protection of ALL guests, and that the General Manager is a POLICE OFFICER..Which made me feel more COMFORTABLE... This rm also had a very nice fridge and microwave. it also had a coffee maker, WITH COFFEE(yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) IRON, IRONING BOARD, AND HAIRDRYER( which I didn't use cause I don't have much hair left). The room was clean, was fully stocked, and the staff was very helpful...Ed, the desk clerk was helpful upon my check-in (since I was staying for two (2) days. He explained everything to me. When I asked about the 31.00 rate, he explained this is a weekly rate, for which I believed due to hotels are NOT 31.00/NIGHT THESE DAYS!! (unless you either still live in 1980 something or live on another planet). Prity, the manager was very nice, courteous, and generious at check-out. THE BREAKFAST IS AWWWWWWSOMEEEEEEE.....BISCUITS & SAUSAGE GRAVY...YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... When I come back next year, I WILL BE MAKING A RESERVATION AT THE DAYS INN....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don Birdwell...Lincoln, IL.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was dooped! The pictures that Days Inn provides on their corporate website are of the newly painted exterior. They give the illusion that this is a fresh, new, clean hotel. Far from it! This is the dirties hotel I have EVER been to. Our "suite" was two rooms that had been joined by knocking a hole in the wall to create a doorway. The room was creepy dark due to very poor lighting, of which I completely understand, because if there were full lighting then no one would ever stay. The carpet was filthy, the walls, ceiling, bathrooms, tables, beds, everything was just grimy. They advertise smoke free, but when I went to lay my head on the pillow, the pillows reaked of smoke. This may be what they consider acceptible in other countries, but filth is not acceptible here! Just Plain Bad!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT stay here!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn & Suites Terre Haute? Share your experiences!