“An experience that simply can't be missed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Attractions in Terre Haute
Type: Museums
Terre Haute, Indiana
12 attraction reviews
“An experience that simply can't be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Just like our WWII Veterans, Holocaust survivors are departing this world at an alarming rate. Who would think that you can be in Terre Haute, Indiana, and be able to meet 3 different survivors, one of them a twin used in human medical experimentation by Nazi doctor Joseph Mengele. I just recently visited and quite unexpectedly was introduced to a man whose grandfather was the commandant of Auschwitz. It certainly wasn't an introduction I was expecting, but I mean that in a good way. I would never have thought when I woke up that day, that this would be what I could tell about. Take note that the largest exhibit room is being renovated, so there is a limit to what can be seen, but that was ok and understandable. It just means I have to go back when it's all finished!

Visited July 2014

Robinson, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“Meeting Eva Kor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I took my son to Candles Holocaust Museum. We met Eva Kor and she was so gracious, she spoke with my son - asking him about his interest in World War II history. I was touched by her thoughtfulness. It was a great honor to meet Eva and have the experience of speaking with her in person. We thought the personal stories the museum displayed were deeply meaningful. This place makes the horror of war evident - this was a powerful, memorable, and meaningful experience for my son. I was grateful that I could share this experience with him and I am especially grateful to Eva Kor for her work in our community. I would recommend that all teachers plan on having their classrooms visit Candles Holocause Museum.

Visited August 2013
Lutz, Florida
“Powerful Presentation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We listened to Eva Kor's presentation of her eyewitness account of her experience as a child in Auschwitz concentration camp. It was riveting and brought the pages of history to life. Unforgettable. Do not miss this stop if you are I the area of Terre Haute IN.

Visited June 2014
TERRE HAUTE
5 attraction reviews
“Small with big impact.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Not something I would have expected to find in Terre Haute, Indiana. However, it is well worth the time and effort to seeki out and paying a visit. While not as big as many other Holocaust museums Candles Holocaust Museum has an emotional impact... because of the involvement of a local resident, Eva Kor. While dedicated to the memory of she and her twin sister, both of whom survived the medical experiments at Auschwitz, it serves to educate the world in order to prevent similar atrocities.

Visited December 2013
Rosedale, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
“Educational”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Very enjoyable and interesting place. Lots of history and meet a survivor from the Holocaust. Easy to find and plenty of parking.

Visited October 2013