I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Terra Haute, IN. The week prior to us staying, the local university bought up a bunch of rooms to house students that they did not have room for on campus. After driving for seven hours with a one year old and my dog, I was ready for a quiet night's sleep. The room I was originally put in was on a floor with a bunch of the students. My one year old and I were greeted by several shirtles college boys all with there doors wide open, watching football and drinking beer up and down the hallway, all while saying a lot of colorful expletives.
Upon arrival to my room, I discovered it was handicap accessible, which I did NOT request. A handicap accesible room means that everything (the sinks, the burners on the stove, etc.) are at the perfect height for my one-year old to reach. I went back down to the front desk, explained the situation about both the wrong room and noisy students and was told that they had no other rooms available. I explained that it was unacceptable and that I should at least receive a discount for the hotel's mistake. I was told that because I did an advance purchase, that no discount would be made. I found it to be incredibly bad service. I did an advance purchase on a room that the hotel did not end up having and I should have been credited for the inconvenice of having to keep my child out of harm's way from being able to reach stove burners, sinks, etc.. Yet, the front desk clerk offered no such amends. I did not even get an apology. Rather, I was told that the room wasn't in their computer as being handicap accessible (even though there is a sign on the front of the room door indicating it as such) so it is "out of their hands" and there was nothing they could do.
After asking repeatedly to see a manager, the front desk woman finally called the manager to come over from across the street. Lo and behold, after less than a minute, a room magically appeared and I was moved to different room and floor. This whole thing took over an hour to resolve. I should also note that while I was at the front desk my husband was upstairs sitting in the hallway with our son, all of our luggage, and dog. I was left with an overtired, cranky, miserable child. I think that this warrants at least something off of my bill, regardless of the fact that I did an advance purchase through the hotel's website.
The room, itself, was clean, but very, very small. We had to wedge my son's pack and play into the front hallway and it barely fit. The shower curtain was too short, so water got all over the bathroom floor.
I would not recommend this hotel due to the poor customer service. It gives the Candlewood Suites brand a bad name.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites Terre Haute Hotel
- Candlewood Suites Terre Haute Hotel Terre Haute
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Terre Haute, Indiana Candlewood Suites Hotel Our downtown Terre Haute extended stay hotel, the Candlewood Suites, is conveniently located in west Indiana near major highways such as I-70, US Highways 40, 41 and 150. The hotel is situated six miles from Terre Haute International Airport (HUF). While staying at our all suites hotel in Terre Haute, leisure travelers can enjoy many attractions close to our hotel. Terre Haute offers many art collections and museums, including the Sheldon Swope Art Museum, the Clabber Girl Museum and Country Store and the nearby Community Theatre. For a day of fun for the entire family, visit Bogey's Family Fun Center, Deming Park or Inland Aquatics. Other Terre Haute attractions include Fore Seasons Golf Complex and Hulman Links Golf Course. This extended stay hotel in Terre Haute offers business travelers a convenient location near local businesses and corporations. Clabber Girl, Union Hospital, Bemis, Novelis, AET Films and Indiana State University are all within 15 miles of our Terre Haute accommodations. Our Terre Haute hotel offers many premium amenities that give the feeling of home, including complimentary, high-speed Internet access, an on-site convenience store, a business center, fitness center and free laundry services. End your search for the perfect extended stay hotel in Terre Haute and book your reservations with us today at the Candlewood Suites in downtown Terre Haute, IN. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Candlewood Suites Terre Haute reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.