“DO NOT believe the 4 and 5 star ratings!” 2 of 5 stars

Magnuson Grand Hotel
213 West Washington, **Closed for renovations**, South Bend, IN 46601   |
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in South Bend
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“DO NOT believe the 4 and 5 star ratings!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is an awful hotel. Everything is broken. Our toilet never worked, plunged for 2 days. The furnace had one setting, hot. The door to the bathroom had no hardware in the jamb to keep the door closed. On the plus side, the wifi worked great and the sheets and towels were so super bleached i felt pretty sure they were clean.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last year when it was a Holiday in and even then it was a little shotty just because the building was getting old. Not letting that fact alone stand in my way, Iade reservations, requesting to pay cash ensuring my card would not charged. No problem you would think. After getting to the hotel and have my card charged not once but twice the 100%incompetent front desk girl says "here just speak to my manager" and when a woman with such a heavy accent started yelling at me through the phone I requested a 100% refund and was to go somewhere else.
I HADNT EVEN STAYED THE NIGHT YET!! I was told they can't do that because of there machines. I asked for a reciept and she said her printer can not print the reciept until the next day. SHADY! I also had asked before reserving the room about the pool hours but when I got there I was informed the pool was under chemical treatments, SERIOUSLY, i would have chose a completely different hotel!!! I had plans I had to get to but first when I got into my room it was freezing, there was NO personal controls to change the room temp that worked, not to mention a thick dank oder in the entire place, Like molding water. The tub was stained black, and in the morning when I actually went to shower there was absolutely NO hot water and the shower made this squeeling noise like something was dying.
I had had enough, my bank account had been over drafted twice, meaning, YES they charged my card 99$ TWICE for one night (when I had reiterated paying cash SO MANY TIMES) and refused to refund any of it when the room only cost 69...riiiight. To top it off, just floored me! the girl working the front desk lied to her boss about charging my card at all let alone twice and thats when my girlfriend even started to say something to her and she is the quiet type.
Needless to say I do firmly believe the city inspector should look at the buildings structure and that the hotel should be scrutinized by the BBB for it's decorum. I've already alerted my bank of the issue to which they said it was common in regard to this particular hotel, they cleared my NSF fee's but couldnt do anything about the -198$, that I would have to fight the hotel.

Room Tip: Always check the ownership and how the building structure is, big chains like holiday inn and motel...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

When the Irish are playing it's slim pickings in South Bend. We paid over $200 for a one-night stay. The Pros: Complimentary Continental Breakfast, Nice Fitness Room, Close to the University of ND, free parking garage. The Cons: Room was a bit on the cold side (couldn't control the settings), condensation was so bad on the window that there was a puddle on the ledge, double beds instead of queens, Indoor Pool was closed & we don't know why.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I lived in South Bend for over 15 years and came back for a football weekend. I had heard many bad things about this hotel when it was a Holiday Inn and even Ramada, but I was stunned on how bad it was under this current name.
It smelled like mold. Poor lighting. Elevators didn't work. Shower was really hot or really cold. Rooms were from 1985. No microwave or fridge.
Went to a nearby bar and talked with the locals. Sounds like this building is on the brink of being sold.
Next time, I'll stay at another hotel, if there are any in downtown South Bend.

Room Tip: The views are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
springfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This place is average hotel, but with outrageous prices for most south bend hotels on game day weekend it is a very fair price. Breakfast is fruit cereal and breads and was ok. Is $8 can ride to stadium on game day and bars and restaurants nearby.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

When we arrived we did notice the remnants of a past
Holiday Inn franchise sign as a large reminder of the what once was. We parked in the deck, and entered the elevator lobby, pushed the button, and alot of creaking and groaning, I mean a lot, but no elevator! We were really grateful after hearing it, then we walked back out into the garage and noticed another elevator lobby next door, entered that, and viola! elevator arrived, this I suppose for the hotel, the other for the offices also part of the hotel. Sufficiently nervous, we arrived at the lobby and were greeted warmly and efficiently, lobby clean, older but well organized.
Next to the room, tube tv's! No flat screens! Seems more than a bit out of date, especially at what we were paying for a football weekend (more than the Hyatt Place in Chicago on the magnificent mile). The room was clean, just badly needing a facelift, again 1990 was calling.
Free breakfast of danishes, bagels, juice, coffee in the basement area was nice, and it does have a pool as well. The area in the basement looks like it was a terrific place to be, again in the 80's and 90's.
I really want to approve of this place because of the folks who work there, but the price/value is just too out of whack.

Room Tip: Irish restaurant, Fiddler's Hearth is just around the corner, we found it as a pickup point for...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Reasonable prices for football weekend. Old hotel but made up for with spacious rooms and very comfortable bed. I sure wish they could at least change out those Holiday Inn wastebaskets, for short money you could make a way better impression! No Golf Channel so my husband was bummed. We wish everyone there the best of luck with future improvements. Josh you are the class of the organization, I know your job must be tough and I don't know how I would have fared without you!! Walked to Notre Dame on Sunday to stretch our legs after gameday just for the heck of it, fun!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!