“hotel was nice. problem with reservations” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in South Bend
Cleveland, Ohio
“hotel was nice. problem with reservations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We requested 2 queen beds in a nonsmoking room. I printed my confirmation showing the same. I thought that this would be a nice place to rest in the middle of a long drive and upon our arrival was happy with the outward appearance of the hotel. However, the clerk at the front desk informed me that his system indicated that we had requested a King room with a pull out couch.
Knowing this was incorrect, I showed him my confirmation and his response was basically “oh well”. Upon entering our room, already not pleased, we discovered that the room we were assigned used to be a smoking room and smelled terribly of smoke. I again called the front desk and informed the clerk of our concern over the smell. He informed me that all the rooms are now non-smoking (as of June 1) and that room was all he had available. No apology or concern. I had doubts that the hotel was at 100% capacity, as the parking lot was no were near full and the hallways and pool were quiet. I’ve been to other hotels where they bend over backwards to please the customer. Definitely not the case here. Thank goodness none of us had asthma because that room smelled so strongly of smoke that it lingered in my clothing and suitcase the rest of the weekend.

This hotel itself was nice. The room, apart from smelling like a cigarette, was clean and would have been comfortable- had we had the right beds! I am disappointed by how we were treated. A simple and genuine “I’m sorry” or “Let me see what I can do” would have gone a long way. But instead we were shown an indifferent attitude. If you chose this hotel, I would call before you get there any make sure you get what you request.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Elkhart, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

After a stressful day finishing packing for my trip, I made sure to bring a cup of bath salts for the tub. It was well worth the extra cost.
One thing I never commented on before, is that they have 24/7 coffee in the lobby, as well as a coffeemaker in the room.
The hotel is just as great as other times, the Jacuzzi is a big plus, I soaked in it for a good half hr.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Here and There
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

We have been stating at this hotel for years and it just keeps getting better in terms of service and value. The rooms are spotless and the beds are great. The service is kind and personal. The Manager is so friendly and accommodating. This hotel us of a better quality than the "top tier" hotels at a significant savings. I will never stop staying here!

• Stayed May 2012
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My wife and i stayed there Mar 11th. This was not the first time here and it won't be the last, if i am back in the area. The hotel looks great from the road, the front desk staff were friendly and the room was great. The pool looked good but we were not in time to use, i would recommend they extend the hours a bit. The one thing i absolutely love about this hotel are the beds.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Elkhart, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

One warning....if you are catching a flight out of South Bend Airport in the morning, be SURE to check your bag early. I was 4 minutes too late for bag check in, and had to get a later flight. Not the shuttle's fault, but mine.
I find it very nice to have a microwave in the room (unusual for me, but nice to re heat coffee)
Other than that, my room was great, as usual. John is very nice about pre heating the shuttle van so it will be nice ad toasty when I got in it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The staff was very helpful, the room was really clean, the pool was nice and the free breakfast was great! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This hotel is located VERY close to the airport, which makes early morning flights easier to manage. The surrounding neighborhood is not that appealing with mostly fast food restaurants and convenience stores close by. The staff was exceptionally friendly, the room was good size and clean. Mini-fridge and microwave were in the room and free Wi-Fi which was easy to access. The hotel seemed pretty quiet, but I was there on a Monday night. On a Notre Dame weekend, the hotel might be pretty noisy. I would definitely stay here again--it is a great value.

Room Tip: Ask for room on top floor as lower floors may be noisier.