“Good and modern” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 31 hotels in South Bend
Saskatoon, Canada
“Good and modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Nice modern layout and design, clean and nicely appointed for the money. Staff was friendly; breakfast was good with hot fresh fully automatic pancake machine - first one I had seen. Good choice of healthy items too.
Ceilings in the mail hallway are hand painted with birds and lovely scenes, a nice touch.
Pool and hot tub looked good from the hallway but they were being maintained so were locked up when I wanted to use them. Too bad, could have used a jacuzzi for a tired back after a long travel day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for sharing your experience with us! I'm glad you had an excellent time, and do apologize for the Jacuzzi for being maintenanced. We hope that you will consider us and the Holiday Inn Express brand for you future travel needs!

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

My game plan for the trips we make 3-4 times a year from the Omaha area to Scranton, PA to visit family is to stay in South Bend eastbound. That way we miss the Chicago traffic in the morning. We've stayed at this HI several times, and again last night. Very easy access to I80-90, and several dining options are nearby. The rooms are clean and the service is just fine; good beds and fairly quiet rooms.

• Stayed December 2012
Stephanie M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear GratefulMo,

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback about your experience at the Holiday Inn Express South Bend. With guest satisfaction being our top priority, I am glad to hear that you enjoy our location, rooms and service.

I hope you continue to choose the Holiday Inn Express South Bend during your travels though South Bend and hope to see you again!

Again, thank you for your feedback!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My son and I stayed for a football weekend and found everything to be excellent. I see there have been some bad stays reported by others, but our two nights went wonderfully. The front desk staff was always helpful. The building and decor was modest and clean. We used the pool twice and found it fun and clean. Our room was excellent, noise was minimal, and the breakfast was great. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear okmac,

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback about your experience at the Holiday Inn Express South Bend. I am glad to hear the positive comments. Our top priority is guest satisfaction, and I am very pleased to hear that your stay was wonderful!

Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again next time you're in the South Bend area, or for the next Notre Dame Football Game you attend!

Weston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was shocked at how lovely this hotel was! Beautifully done, modern, clean. Service was terrific and a nice little breakfast was included, They had a small healthclub and an indoor pool. They had a shuttle bus to Notre Dame for $8 per person. We walked to the campus (about 2 miles to the Golden Dome) so it was so convenient. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear mmrjgolden,

I would like to take the time to thank you for your valuable feedback on your pleasent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express South Bend. I am glad you enjoyed our amenities such as fitness center and continental breakfast. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we love it when we have happy guests!

Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again next time you're in the South Bend area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Very friendly staff. Room was spacious and very clean. Breakfast was free and the variety was good. Had hot and cold to help yourself to. The woman working in the breakfast area was right on top of everything. Very good!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Rakeybaby,

I would like to take the time to thank you for your feedback on your experience at the Holiday Inn Express South Bend. Guest satisfaction is our staff's top priority. I'm glad that you enjoyed the choices you had for breakfast because we know the best way to start the day is with a good breakfast.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback, and I hope you visit us again next time you're in the South Bend area.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I reserved a room for a July 2012 stay. I called to cancel and was informed I had to speak to a General Manager. The only problem, the Genera Manager Gita Patel, will not return your phone calls. After numerous attempts I finally spoke to her and once I told her I needed to cancel my reservation she wanted to charge me a cancellation fee. She directed me to guest services, which I called, but when I tried to call the GM back she avoided my phone calls and emails for days. I disputed the charges and won. The hotel is owned by my either her or a family member. If you don't have to stay at this hotel, DON'T. The management is horrible and if you do have an issue there is no one to go to for answers. PLEASE TAKE THIS WARNING!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear b w,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments regarding your experience with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and strive to consistently ensure our service are superior. I am sorry you received unacceptable service from the management of our hotel. I have taken note of your valuable comments and these will be taken into consideration in our efforts to provide the best hotel experience possible.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Nice hotel located not far from the Notre Dame campus. Arrived a little before check in on Saturday check in is at 3PM but the very helpful and polite desk staff allowed me to go through the check in process before hand so afte the game all I needed to do was pick up the keys. It was not a big deal not being able to get in the room early. We were able to park there for the game .and at that point after a long drive was nice to just stretch the legs The walk through the white field to the stadium is not a bad walk at all seemed like you were there in no time the location of the hotel is perfect for a weekend gameday. The only real complain I had was with a smoking room the smoke smell was a little much. The rooms were a nice setup especially with a fridge and a microwave. The breakfast was better than I expected a little bit of everything. Great staff on board made for a nice stay. Great location if you want to get away for the weekend and catch a notre dame football game!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear WVAngler,

I would like to take the time to thank you for your valuable feedback. I appreciate your comments on our accommodating staff and pleasent rooms, but I do sincerely apologize for the smell of the smoking room you stayed in. This year, Indiana passed a smoking ban across all hotel chains, and we are proud to announce that we are now a 100% smoke-free hotel. We are making a diligent effort to rid our former smoking rooms of the smell of smoke, and will have the smoke-free accommodations available for the 2013 Notre Dame Football Season.

Again, I appreciate your feedback on your experience with the Holiday Inn Express South Bend, and I would like to invite you to stay with us again next time you are visiting the South Bend area, or Notre Dame's campus.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame? Share your experiences!