“Hidden Fees” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in South Bend
Indiana
“Hidden Fees”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Went to check in this past weekend at the South Bend Holiday Inn Express after making a confirmed reservation for a King non-smoking room through the corporate website. Upon check-in, the attendant told me that no king rooms were available, only smoking rooms with 2 dbl beds. It was 2 pm in the afternoon. If I wanted a King non-smoking room it would be an additional $20. I told the clerk that I couldn't stay in the smoking room because of asthma. She said she "could go and air it out". I didn't want to stay in a smoking room so I paid the additional $20. She told me I should have contacted the South Bend Holiday Inn after making the Corporate reservation to confirm what I thought was already confirmed. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed in the way she handled a guest. I spoke to some other guests at the Holiday Inn and they said the same thing happened to them. The hotel was not even full. The upgraded room was not very clean. Housekeeping needs to do a better job of cleaning the rooms. The bathroom floor had black hairs all over the floor. i could go on. A person should expect more for the $140 I spent at this Hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Notre Dame hotel with our young baby on an 19 hour trip to the East Coast. The stay itself was uneventful, though the hotel wasn't the cleanest. However, when we checked our account a few days later, we realized we were charged a $100 fee for having a pet. We had no pet on this trip! When we called to remove the charge, the general manager indicated that she did not believe us and would not remove the charge. In addition, she would not provide the contact information of anyone else for us to speak to. She was disappointingly rude on the phone and would not own up to the mistake and remove the charge. We are currently working with the national customer service line to address the issue.

This is sad because we have stayed at several other Holiday Inn Expresses and had great customer service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

I had planned to stay at Holiday Inn Expresses in our 7,000 mile road trip. Our first two night were wonderful, but the third Holiday Inn Express, South Bend, was a different story. The good news I got a total refund from American Express by filing a dispute. I probably would not have taken that course had the manager called me. I even went through the Holiday Inn Express national reservation number to get resolution, I had their support, but the local mamangement stuck to their policy. I ended up staying at a Holiday Inn Express in Fremont Indiana that night. But, after no call the next day from the South Bend property manager, that was it for me. No more stays at Holiday Inn Express for me. Holiday Inn Express promotes it self as a chain, but it is really just a bunch of independently owned hotel properties esch one with their own policies so..... beware.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Well having the kids we needed a place that was going to have indoor pool or kids would drive us crazy..the room was nice and clean but no kitchen. We must say it was the nicest Holiday Inn express we stayed at -they had granite and staff was really cool. We saved about $60 because we didnt have to buy breakfast for the weekend and family likes it...they had outstanding breakfast the lady was even pouring coffee for us ...lol we felt like we were in a cafe---kids thought they were in a gym running around--anyhows thumbs up for this one-We'll stay with them again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Detroit, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Seems like this place was built to be really nice. "Beauty is skin deep" as they say...if you look close, you start to see several oddities. Our room had a few noticable patches in the dry wall. The halls and room had a strong 'chemical deodorizer' smell (Febreeze?) with an underlying smoke and 'weird' smells. The pool was absolutly filthy-very cloudy water with several long strands of hair floating around. Both me and my husband caught several hairs while swimming. It was disgusting. The area seems run down, several businesses (including hotels) closed down, the parking is a little sketchy. The breakfast was nice, simple but adequate. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The staff was super nice. I felt like we booked based on excellent past experiences with the HIE chain, nice hotel photographs on-line and hotel amenities. I feel like we really overpaid. I would not stay here again, but it's not the worst out there by any stretch. There are a few other hotels in the area that looked much nicer-Hilton Garden and Comfort Inn...Even a non-chain "Jameson Inn" looked nicer.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

We came in for our Notre Dame reunion and were pleasantly surprised how much we really liked the HI Express. No frills, to be sure, but a better stay than perhaps we would have thought. Nice breakfast options with coffee, cereal, eggs, bacon (more than we thought would be included). room had an empty fridge and a microwave (huge help with kids), laundry across the hall (again - just an awesome lil handy inclusion) and a decent indoor pool/hot tub. Rooms were small, but price was right, and the bathroom was nice, with better toiletries included than we would have expected. (conditioner - yay!)

BEST PART: the service. Really nice staff, acted like they were working at a fancy hotel and we were paying high room rates, not discount travelers. Went out of their way to help with finding a lost child's pair of glasses, extra towels, laundry, you name it. Really a nice reflection on what the Holiday Inn chain would want - and a place that I would stay again. Owners greeted with a smile, and they let us adults in at 4 am 3-4 nights in a row, with a wink and a smile, no complaints. For friends coming in from all over the country, this was a nice place to gather that let us relax and enjoy our reunion.

NOTE: this was not a football weekend (when all hotels tend to be booked) but it was a reunion weekend, and they were busy with at least half to 3/4 occupancy. Can't speak to a football weekend, but can say that this exceeded my expectations (and we thought we'd be just roughing it after a fancier hotel in Chicago). Pleasant surprise.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
casandra582
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

I was driving cross country and figured South Bend would be a good place to stop overnight. The hotel was okay, very little parking and the parking lot was not cleared of snow/slush. The room was big but I could hear everything from either the room above or beside mine. Slept well and had breakfast at the Perkins right off the exit. It was an okay hotel, very nice bathroom. The pool looked a bit dingy, wouldn't have swam in it.

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame? Share your experiences!