“Very good experience.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Evanston Illinois
“Very good experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Four of us had lunch there today. I did make a reservation earlier this morning. We arrived about 15 minutes early and I was greeted by name and offered a table immediately. Our very helpful and attentive server, Brandy, gave us good information and pleasant service. We enjoyed our food and the extravagent dessert cart!

Afterward, we were encouraged to explore the beautiful mansion even though lunch officially ends at 2PM. It was particularly nice to be directed to the old Otis elevator to get to the third floor ballroom... (The elevator is old because it is authentically part of an old mansion .)

We will look forward to a return visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

“Good food poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My parents and I went to Tippecanoe Place for my 35th birthday. When we arrived I was very impressed by the massive, beautiful "castle". When we went inside I was quickly let down. No one was at the desk to meet us as we arrived and it took a few minutes before our presence was acknowledged by anyone. Our server poured our water overfilling mine onto the table with no apologies. He did keep our drinks refilled well as we ate but as we were finishing we had to request refills. When he brought our food we requested bread and it was never served. After we paid our bill our server encouraged us to feel free to walk around and check out the house. When we got to the top floor my mom walked into a doorway (not marked) to read a sign about the room and was rudely rebuked by a server, it was an employees only area (again no markings to this effect were visible). When we were leaving we decided to stop at the front to see if they had a flyer or anything to tell us about the history of the mansion, but again after waiting 5+ minutes not a single one of the many servers and managers asked if we needed help.

The food was good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Campbellsville, Kentucky, United States
“Great atmosphere, good food, excellent service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had the fresh Walleye. Highly recommend. The waitress and her sister (also a waitress there) were heading back to college the next day, but they were an absolute delight and made the experience all the more memorable.

Visited August 2013
Portland, Connecticut
“Gorgeous property and very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had dinner here last night which was Sunday August 18th. The property is stunning. We were seated on the first floor but if it was crowded you could be in any room in the building which is an interesting concept. You can tour the building on your own if you are interested.

We began with an appetizer of heirloom tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. It was delicious if a bit overpriced at $14. I chose the pork chop and my husband had the prime rib. The chop had a bourbon glaze which was yummy and the chop was huge. I had the spinach salad which was very good, honey mustard dressing and dried cranberries, almonds and apple slices. My husbands wedge salad was big and very crunchy with plenty of blue cheese and bacon.

The prime rib was well seasoned and cooked as requested. We chose the Yukon gold roasted potatoes which were slightly undercooked but we finished them all, they tasted that good. We also had fresh green beans and red peppers.

Our servers were attentive and we never felt neglected. There were a couple of very minor issues which is why I gave this restaurant a 4 instead of a five. Our waitress was obviously new so a few minor issues are to be expected.

I have read some of the previous negative reviews and they surprise me. I liked this restaurant very much and would come back again. The building is beautiful and the furniture including the chairs in the dining room were to the period.

I am a pretty fussy diner who enjoys good food and service and they met my exacting standards.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Enjoyable Sunday Brunch in a Historic Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We recently visited Tippecanoe Place for Sunday brunch. The setting is wonderful - the house is a true gem, and enjoyed exploring. The brunch was very enjoyable, with an omelette bar and a buffet with plenty of food choices, including many desserts. For the price, this is an excellent brunch in an unbeatable setting.

• Visited July 2013